Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Your sister should have said something as non rev passengers (and that includes family) are expected to cause no problems for paying passengers and they were risking they and their son losing the perk with their behaviour , something most FAs will remind them of.
Not to mention the fact that non rev passengers can be "bumped off" at any point - even after boarding.
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I do find when flying as a lone female I get more of this malarkey .
i just ask them once , if they don't shift I get the cabin crew to shift them , it has never failed me but I don't apologetically ask , just politely make it clear it's an expectation for them to deal with a "confused and lost" passenger.
I've offered to move to make things easy for a family but never into a worse seat.
Now I don't fly for work so don't have status with airlines anymore so should pay I take my chances with 24 hour seating . We fly term time and even on full flights I've never had a bad seat or been separated . I do check in bang on the 24 hour mark but once that seat is allocated , that's that.
If my husband and I were separated, well we eat, sleep and watch movies, all things we manage to do separately at home , we can handle eight hours apart (we manage longer each day for work). The people I have no sympathy for are those who feel it's essential to sit together but haven't paid and then kick off. If it's that important to you and you don't have young children , then pay for it.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
hallamdisneyfan
Earning More Ears

When Thomas Cook moved our flight time (to a more inconvenient one ..grr) they also changed our seats - they had DS sitting away from the rest of the family. I phoned and got the 4 of us moved so we are together, but I didn't think they were supposed to split kids away from parents - I suppose it depends on the child's age - he is 12 but wouldn't have been happy sitting with strangers.
hallamdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hallamdisneyfan View Post
When Thomas Cook moved our flight time (to a more inconvenient one ..grr) they also changed our seats - they had DS sitting away from the rest of the family. I phoned and got the 4 of us moved so we are together, but I didn't think they were supposed to split kids away from parents - I suppose it depends on the child's age - he is 12 but wouldn't have been happy sitting with strangers.
The age for sitting on your own is 12 so he was the age they stop considering it an issue. I don't know how I'd feel as don't have kids but does seem young to me
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Your sister should have said something as non rev passengers (and that includes family) are expected to cause no problems for paying passengers and they were risking they and their son losing the perk with their behaviour , something most FAs will remind them of.
We would not have known this the guy was a complete ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ and a bully he was really aggressive and whilst my sister has her faults she is incredibly polite and very non confrontational. Typical bully though happy to try to throw his weight around at two young females not so happy when two bigger guys were on the scene.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

I never get peoples obsession with sitting together on flights as a couple (unless there is a phobia or medical issue).

My husband and I have never paid to sit together and on one leg of our honeymoon flights we were actually sat apart... We are still alive and still married... The world didn't crumble.

I would never voluntarily move for a couple to be together "just because", unless I was being upgraded of course!
Wonder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
I never get peoples obsession with sitting together on flights as a couple (unless there is a phobia or medical issue).

My husband and I have never paid to sit together and on one leg of our honeymoon flights we were actually sat apart... We are still alive and still married... The world didn't crumble.

I would never voluntarily move for a couple to be together "just because", unless I was being upgraded of course!
But some of us like to sit together and are prepared to pay for that. Doesn't make us bad people!
For those who don't wish to then that's their decision.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I think most couples or families would prefer to sit togetheron a flight but it isnt the end of the world for couples. However if one parent had to look after the children on their own they may feel stressed but if this is an unwelcome scenario then book the seats.
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

It’s an 8 hour flight and I’d prefer to sit beside one of my party. I don’t think that’s strange or an “obsession”. Isn’t it just normal? I’ll pay on a 25 minute Ryanair flight to sit with my family so the flight is more comfortable. I definitely don’t want to sit with a stranger all the way to Florida.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mlbolger
Very Serious Dibber

My son has a medical condition and I need to sit with him. The last 2 times we have flown with Virgin, I have called them and requested medical seats and they haven’t even charged me to select my seats and sat all 3 of us together.

Oct04 Villa Hampton Lakes, Nov05 QII Int Drive
Feb 08, Nov 09, Nov 10 Villa Emerald Isles
Oct 12 Disney Beach Club
Nov 13 Carribean Beach
Nov 15 Wilderness Lodge
mlbolger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List