Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Dec 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoLes
Excited about Disney

OrlandoLes's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We visited a few years back & used krakowtrip .com who took us on a day trip to Auschwitz, Birkenau & the Salt mines in a day. Some family friends also booked with them in the summer after our recommendation & said it was a great trip.
Would highly recommend them, they also do airport transfers.
Also highly recommend Restauracja W Starej Kuchni for a meal in Krakow - just off the square.
Cheers
Les
Windsor Hills Villa - May 2012; Rolling Hills Villa - Easter 2014; High Grove DIBB Villa / RPR / Disney Dream - Easter 2015; Sunset Lakes DIBB Villa /HRH/ Disney Dream - August 2016; NYC / St Pete's Beach / DIBB Townhouse at Windsor hills - Easter 2018; Flights / Sunset Lakes Villa / Harmony of the Seas Cruise - Easter 2020 Didn’t happen!
OrlandoLes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Krakow is our city break of choice and we go every Boxing Day for four nights (although not this year ).

I would recommend making your own way to Auschwitz rather than being tied to your bus times. We used a private pre-booked taxi. You can book a guided tour at Auschwitz and then spend as long as you need there. Personally I found Birkenhau more harrowing but be prepared for a somber journey back to Krakow.

The salt mines are beautiful!

I’d also recommend Wawel Castle, the underground market and lots of walking.

Our favourite restaurant (and extremely popular with the locals) is Miod Malena which is next to the Pandora shop.

I have no doubt you will have a lovely time. Krakow is a gorgeous city with so much to see and do and the locals are very friendly. We’ve made lots of friends.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

How do you book a private tour and taxi please? That sounds like a really good option. Thanks for the restaurant tip too.
Old 16 Dec 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

We used a taxi that was recommended by a friend who had previously been to Krakow. Unfortunately I don’t think he’s still working but a query on the Krakow trip advisor forum would be a good bet for recommendations.

Also, don’t bother with a taxi from the airport. The train is super easy and the station is joined to the airport. It’s around £1.50 into Krakow!
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
We used a taxi that was recommended by a friend who had previously been to Krakow. Unfortunately I don’t think he’s still working but a query on the Krakow trip advisor forum would be a good bet for recommendations.

Also, don’t bother with a taxi from the airport. The train is super easy and the station is joined to the airport. It’s around £1.50 into Krakow!
Perfect Thankyou x
Old 17 Dec 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We just returned last week after four days and had a great time. We booked our tour to Auschwitz with this company

krakowauschwitz/

We where two couples and it was a private transfer and then we joined an organised tour which they booked. Service was excellent from them and price great (about £32 each all in) guy who owns the company was brilliant.

We set off at 8:30 and got back about 4pm. It’s a very emotional day, but a place I’m glad I visited. If you look at the museums some often do free days once a week. You have to prebook but we got tickets for Rynek Underground for nothing. Do Schindler’s museum but prebook this also. Walking tour we did on the first day and gave a great overview. We didn’t get chance for the Salt mine but it’s on our return visit list.

We ate here on our last night

morskieoko.krakow.pl/home-en/

Great polish food but again book it the night we went they where turning people away as were booked up for about 10 days after.

It’s a great city you’ll love it

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’m a freelance educator with the Holocaust education trust and have visited Auschwitz many times. I’d agree to book a taxi to Auschwitz and then book your tour direct with the museum as you will see more. See if the tour includes most of Birkenau (ask to go to the sauna building as this is at the back and means you will go through a fair chunk of the camp).
At Auschwitz it’s what you see, ask to go to block 27 which is the block done by Yad Vashem which is the Israeli Holocaust museum, the first room with video of pre-war Jewish life always reminds me what was lost. The children’s drawings in the top room are copies from Terizin ghetto/camp and the book of names is unbelievable in size.
At Birkenau it’s what you don’t see. The vast space is indescribable.
Old 17 Dec 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Gunna Thankyou. I've saved that restaurant hopefully will book that it looks lovely.
Old 17 Dec 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I’m a freelance educator with the Holocaust education trust and have visited Auschwitz many times. I’d agree to book a taxi to Auschwitz and then book your tour direct with the museum as you will see more. See if the tour includes most of Birkenau (ask to go to the sauna building as this is at the back and means you will go through a fair chunk of the camp).
At Auschwitz it’s what you see, ask to go to block 27 which is the block done by Yad Vashem which is the Israeli Holocaust museum, the first room with video of pre-war Jewish life always reminds me what was lost. The children’s drawings in the top room are copies from Terizin ghetto/camp and the book of names is unbelievable in size.
At Birkenau it’s what you don’t see. The vast space is indescribable.
Thankyou x
Old 19 Dec 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Does Krakow attract many stag parties? Not a big fan of being on planes when there are stags although never actually done me any harm!
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List