Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jul 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I replied to another thread a couple of months back about kitchen planning, so I just copied and pasted my rather long reply below on some thoughts about kitchen planning and ideas...

Make sure your wall mounted cupboards are as deep as you would like. We moved to this house in 2000, and it had a German kitchen (Keller?) installed, and the cupboards were really deep. They could hold maybe four cups deep. Our new kitchen will only hold two cups deep. In the big scheme of things its not a major problem, but for me I now can't reach the second shelf of the cupboard as they are further away from me. I hope that makes sense!

Pot drawers - don't bother with the 60cm ones... 90cm hold SO much more.

Stainless steel appliances - try to get ones that won't show fingerprints. It will save a LOT of frustration!

I wanted a black granite counter top for ages... so I got Galaxy Gold (?)... it looks fantastic, but I totally regret not getting a lighter granite or quartz. EVERY SINGLE fingerprint... cup... glass... leaves a mark on it and it drives me to distraction!

Quooker Flex tap is fantastic! No kettle needed, and I get so much use from the flex. Im not sure if I would bother with the cooled water or carbonated option.

Get the biggest fridge freezer you can fit. The french door style imho is the best layout, although the cavernous freezer can make it hard to find stuff, but thats more than made up for by the huge fridge!

I have two corner units... one with two swing out shelves, and one where the shelves 'rearrange' themselves as you open the door (I don't know how else to describe it). But the one with two swing out shelves is MUCH better.

I have always cooked on gas...but got an induction hob. I love it, for so many reasons, mostly because of how easy it is to clean, how good it looks, and how rising heat doesn't disperse grease all over the kitchen. But, I can't deny... its not gas. I can't put my finger on exactly what Im not getting about induction. If price is not an issue, you could get some domino hobs.. and configure it with both gas and induction.

Consider a warming drawer. Especially if you bake bread, but its useful for all sorts of things. If you do decide on one, try to get the deep one, rather than the shallow one. You can't prove dough in the shallow one.

If you have a spare wall, think about a built in pantry/larder. All your spices, flours, sugars etc in one place... makes it so easy to bake when everything is in one place, right at your fingertips.

Under your hob, perhaps a wide drawer with no cutlery insert... just a big drawer to hold all your spatulas, wooden spoons, scissors, tongs etc. I also have a knife block in my drawer. It keeps them safe and handy.

I have a 60cm hob, and a 90cm cooker hood... the bigger hood looks better.

I didnt pay attention to the cooker hood, apart from the size... and I SO regret it. I got a New World 90cm hood, with a 'filter' that can go in the dishwasher. It is complete crap! all it does is pull the air out. It doesn't filter the grease, and as a result, I get a drip of grease on the hob most days... just a small drop, but the 'filter' obviously isn't working as you would hope. I regularly run the 'filter' through the dishwasher, at least once a week, but it makes no difference. I would replace it tomorrow, but Ive got a granite backsplash that has been cut to fit it

Definitely get a pyroclean oven... its worth every penny!

I have a microwave/oven combi, and im not sure if I would get it again. Somehow, it doesn't seem as good as a regular microwave. I got the combi because I sometimes might need an extra oven, but Im not convinced. One issue is that the microwave oven is about head height (for me)... so if I use it as a conventional oven, its a little unsafe for me to try to take anything out of it.

I would go for a waste disposal. In our old kitchen, I had an insinkerator, but it was always getting clogged. I got an Astracast (?) in my new kitchen. It was a lot cheaper than an insinkerator, but so far it has been fine. I dont use it for heavy duty disposal... mostly just for light things like lemon peel or veg peelings.

Finally, I think stainless steel plug sockets, tv points etc. look infinitely better than white plastic. Also, plug sockets with a usb connection can be very useful. Pop-up sockets are fantastic, but you lose a lot of cabinet space.

I think I'm done... lol! Best of luck with your new kitchen
Old 23 Jul 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We have selected what we think we need but taking a trip to DIY Kitchens in Doncaster on Monday to get some hands on look and feel.

I'll be fitting it myself too.
Dont do it, the grey cupboards are diy, and id never use them again.
It started bad when the guy and his van companion turned up i chatted dor a bit while the guys unstrapped the full height cupboards 400mm deep , and the passenger of the van asked "how ya getting these in they are real heavy" to which i said well you rwo guys are gunna help, arent you? The driver then informed me i had only payed for delivery not get into the housey (his words) to which i said hold on really so i called diy kitchens and they told me i needed to book a driver and 2 guys at an extra cost and delivery slot 😫 omg he them pointed to my dad, on 2 walking sticks and said cant he help? Now luckly at this point the lady was still on the phone and she was appalled when i pointed out that my dad cant walk to his car let alone carry cupboards.
Then once i had got them in i inspected them to fond damage to the doors and panels. The driver took pictures and said call the office he has also logged the damage , they agreed to replace the unit in 6 weeks that one was also damaged 4 units later i made 1 good unit out of all the damages ones..

Edited at 04:59 PM.
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
I replied to another thread a couple of months back about kitchen planning, so I just copied and pasted my rather long reply below on some thoughts about kitchen planning and ideas...

Make sure your wall mounted cupboards are as deep as you would like. We moved to this house in 2000, and it had a German kitchen (Keller?) installed, and the cupboards were really deep. They could hold maybe four cups deep. Our new kitchen will only hold two cups deep. In the big scheme of things its not a major problem, but for me I now can't reach the second shelf of the cupboard as they are further away from me. I hope that makes sense!

Pot drawers - don't bother with the 60cm ones... 90cm hold SO much more.

Stainless steel appliances - try to get ones that won't show fingerprints. It will save a LOT of frustration!

I wanted a black granite counter top for ages... so I got Galaxy Gold (?)... it looks fantastic, but I totally regret not getting a lighter granite or quartz. EVERY SINGLE fingerprint... cup... glass... leaves a mark on it and it drives me to distraction!

Quooker Flex tap is fantastic! No kettle needed, and I get so much use from the flex. Im not sure if I would bother with the cooled water or carbonated option.

Get the biggest fridge freezer you can fit. The french door style imho is the best layout, although the cavernous freezer can make it hard to find stuff, but thats more than made up for by the huge fridge!

I have two corner units... one with two swing out shelves, and one where the shelves 'rearrange' themselves as you open the door (I don't know how else to describe it). But the one with two swing out shelves is MUCH better.

I have always cooked on gas...but got an induction hob. I love it, for so many reasons, mostly because of how easy it is to clean, how good it looks, and how rising heat doesn't disperse grease all over the kitchen. But, I can't deny... its not gas. I can't put my finger on exactly what Im not getting about induction. If price is not an issue, you could get some domino hobs.. and configure it with both gas and induction.

Consider a warming drawer. Especially if you bake bread, but its useful for all sorts of things. If you do decide on one, try to get the deep one, rather than the shallow one. You can't prove dough in the shallow one.

If you have a spare wall, think about a built in pantry/larder. All your spices, flours, sugars etc in one place... makes it so easy to bake when everything is in one place, right at your fingertips.

Under your hob, perhaps a wide drawer with no cutlery insert... just a big drawer to hold all your spatulas, wooden spoons, scissors, tongs etc. I also have a knife block in my drawer. It keeps them safe and handy.

I have a 60cm hob, and a 90cm cooker hood... the bigger hood looks better.

I didnt pay attention to the cooker hood, apart from the size... and I SO regret it. I got a New World 90cm hood, with a 'filter' that can go in the dishwasher. It is complete crap! all it does is pull the air out. It doesn't filter the grease, and as a result, I get a drip of grease on the hob most days... just a small drop, but the 'filter' obviously isn't working as you would hope. I regularly run the 'filter' through the dishwasher, at least once a week, but it makes no difference. I would replace it tomorrow, but Ive got a granite backsplash that has been cut to fit it

Definitely get a pyroclean oven... its worth every penny!

I have a microwave/oven combi, and im not sure if I would get it again. Somehow, it doesn't seem as good as a regular microwave. I got the combi because I sometimes might need an extra oven, but Im not convinced. One issue is that the microwave oven is about head height (for me)... so if I use it as a conventional oven, its a little unsafe for me to try to take anything out of it.

I would go for a waste disposal. In our old kitchen, I had an insinkerator, but it was always getting clogged. I got an Astracast (?) in my new kitchen. It was a lot cheaper than an insinkerator, but so far it has been fine. I dont use it for heavy duty disposal... mostly just for light things like lemon peel or veg peelings.

Finally, I think stainless steel plug sockets, tv points etc. look infinitely better than white plastic. Also, plug sockets with a usb connection can be very useful. Pop-up sockets are fantastic, but you lose a lot of cabinet space.

I think I'm done... lol! Best of luck with your new kitchen

Lots of great info, thanks.

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

we finished our kitchen this time last year, it took me ages trying to get it straight in my head what i wanted. then when i did and priced it all up it was dearer than i thought it would be, so needed to save / cut things out.

well we saved as i really wanted handle-less high gloss white cupboards, larder cupboards on the floor to ceiling, the induction hob and the hide and slide oven. I still do not regret waiting and gettting exactly what i wanted even the flooring was more than i thought it was going to cost, and yes it shows the flour after i have been backing but i still love it!

i agree with the poster above about the 90cm draws being amazing!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vikkicat View Post

Lovely!

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Your kitchen is lovely.

I can't seem to be able to figure out how to post pictures. I can figure out how to upload them on this site, its just that on my laptop I cant seem to be able to select pics to upload.

Just another thought on handle-less doors, you can get dishwashers now that dont need a handle to open, you just push the door open and close.