Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

My DD achieved A biology B chemistry B psychology and c welsh bac and has been accepted at Cardiff to study physiotherapy 🥰🥰 however her college predicted A* Psychology which was downgraded along with all the college psychology results 🤬🤬🤬🤬, the college is encouraging students to appeal however we are extremely happy that she has got into her first choice uni xxx
TINKERBELL44 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
So ... how did they all do?

We had a stressful 45 mins at 8am as UCAS had crashed and there were issues with college website but ... DD got 4 A* and is off to Warwick! So many tears of joy and now it’s dawned on my my girl will be moving away!

Thinking of you all 😬
Yeah, it was a bit stressful this morning what with UCAS crashing. Then my daughter realised she'd received at email from Harper Adams saying congratulations and they'd accepted her on the BioVet Science course. So that was good.

However, when she finally got her results they weren't as good as she thought. She got 3 Cs. The teachers' assessment was for 3 Bs. So she was upset over that.

Still, she got into the uni she wanted doing the course she wanted. Just a pity it's all a bit of a mess regarding teachers assessment grades and final grades. I know some people had a much more significant drop in grades and aren't in as good as position as us. I hope they manage to resolve things some way.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Thats great, we need more girls in STEM subjects.
For the second year in a row, more young women did science-based A-levels than young men did. Around 51% were girls, 49% were boys.

Admittedly, Physics and Computer Science are still more male-dominated than female. However, nearly two-thirds of students taking Biology are girls.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
The college is appealing - 97% got downgraded.
Originally Posted by TINKERBELL44 View Post
the college is encouraging students to appeal
I thought they could only appeal if their mock exam result were higher than the result they eventually achieved.

They can't appeal if the teacher's assessment was higher. At least, not according to the current rules.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 13 Aug 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I thought they could only appeal if their mock exam result were higher than the result they eventually achieved.

They can't appeal if the teacher's assessment was higher. At least, not according to the current rules.
From what I have read, there are different types of appeal. The college is appealing that everyone was treated too harshly and they think the exam board made a mistake. For example, DD had an A for her CAG in chemistry but was downgraded to a C and was high enough in the ranking of the subject to be a fairly secure A so they think the exam board made a mistake as people lower than her in the ranking got A’s and B’s.

Then they have the appeal based on her mock results.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
From what I have read, there are different types of appeal. The college is appealing that everyone was treated too harshly and they think the exam board made a mistake. For example, DD had an A for her CAG in chemistry but was downgraded to a C and was high enough in the ranking of the subject to be a fairly secure A so they think the exam board made a mistake as people lower than her in the ranking got A’s and B’s.

Then they have the appeal based on her mock results.
Ah ok. Thanks.

Jeez, this is all so confusing.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post

My daughters mock grade an A, predicted an A* but received a B 😤😤

Edited at 12:19 PM.
TINKERBELL44 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

My son needed A* A A for London School of Economics. He actually got A* A B. The B he got was for further maths, for which he got A* in the Mock exams. We are appealing that mark.
The good news is that he still has his place at LSE. It’s a little worrying that he’s never actually visited the uni (his offer holder day was cancelled), but he’s convinced he’s going to love it!
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
There was a great post on Twitter this morning (sorry I don’t know how to link it) explaining that the algorithm rounds down causing all kinds of issues. Very clearly explained. So you can be ranked 1 or 2 in a cohort and still be penalised. So unfair.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by TINKERBELL44 View Post
My daughters mock grade an A, predicted an A* but received a B 😤😤
In which case, yes, she can appeal, citing the fact that her final grade was less than her mock grade. Plus, the school may be also able to appeal (see above).

There has always been a problem with predicted grades and a tendency for some teachers to overestimate what a student could get. This isn't a new problem. I think I've discussed this here in this thread about predicted grades being the grades that the student could get rather than being the grades they will get. It's just become more obvious this year.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~