Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

If you get stuck or want some background information check on FB (or just Google) for local history associations. They often have old photos, written stories, details of significant local events etc, and other members can be helpful.

I like to follow up addresses from censuses and certificates. I googled the address on my Mum’s birth certificate and it’s still there, occupied by a company. I wrote and the owner emailed me a potted history and some photos.

I’ve also checked more recent addresses on Rightmove and found a few. I just like this extra bit of social history to add to the person’s b, m & d data.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Another tip is check out websites that offer free photos of cemetery gravestones. Those pictures can set you on a trail as the plot often contains a relative that wasn’t known about and also exact dates of birth and death.

Out local Council tracked down some relatives final resting places free of charge due to Covid. We had a shock ref some triple graves and who was in them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I had always been curious why my dad knew absolutely nothing about his paternal grandparents. He just said they had never been mentioned when he was growing up and I guess he probably sensed that he shouldn't ask.

I eventually worked out their identities and got hold of their death certificates and uncovered a very sad story. My great grandad's stated he was a "retired railwayman" but he was only 54. Date of death was either "unknown" or "on or around" a date, cause of death was drowning. I guessed that this was either going to be an accident or possibly a suicide, in which case it would probably have been in the local newspaper at the time. So I approached the local historian at the Library and they found me 2 articles which confirmed it was a suicide. He had been injured in a railway accident, hence being retired. A young boy had witnessed him on the river bank one afternoon and when passing by later had found his clothes and ID left there. His body had been found a few days later. My dad did remember seeing a man of that age in some family photos with a bad arm and a stick.

We then discovered that his wife had died some years later in what was then known as a lunatic asylum. I did try to get hold of her records (I think it would have been from the local NHS trust) but was told that they are sealed until 2036. I am still curious to know the rest of the story, particularly why she was in there and whether she was admitted before this all happened, or whether it was through grief. I've also been led to believe that sometimes people were admitted there if they were destitute. I hope this wasnt the case as they had 7 children and my dad knew all his aunts and uncles. I think what upset dad most about what I uncovered is that none of them had ever talked about their parents.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

As skb 123 has described, you should be prepared for finding sad or "distasteful" facts about your ancestors, most families have sadness and badness at some time over many years.

A great great aunt of mine was born out of wedlock. Her birth certificate did not name her father. Her mum's name was followed by the word "strumpet". This was in the 19th century not the dark ages 😱
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
This is where you can hit a brick wall.

We have traced 1 part of the Family back to a Lady born in 1836. Lots online about her.

However no hints about her Father.

Somebody has paid for her birth cert and marriage cert and posted the images. Both are blank ref her Father!

That is going to be really hard now to progress further back.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

As others have said, Ancestry is great, and local genealogy sites can be invaluable too, especially once you get back to pre-1837 and need to turn to parish records.

Lots of my ancestors are from Kent and Lincolnshire (fishermen), and the Medway Archives and Lincs to the Past have been invaluable for viewing parish records of baptisms, weddings and burials. It’s worth checking to see if there’s anything similar for the areas your ancestors are from.

And I agree - check, check and check again when you see links on Ancestry. They’re a great starting point to link to other people’s research, but don’t take anything as gospel until you’ve seen the evidence yourself. There are the obvious glaring errors (parents and children born 5 years apart, or 100 years apart) but there are also lots of credible looking connections that turn out to be wrong. Sometimes you’ll find that people lied back when the records were made too, and you might find something new that changes a whole branch of your tree. I had an ancestor who ran off with her neighbour and he took on her husband’s identity. Their children and grandchildren all used her husband’s surname, right through to relatives I have met today. That took a lot of unravelling, and anyone who took their information from my tree before I found this out will have the wrong details.

You can never be 100% sure with genealogy, especially with paternity, but the more evidence you can collect, and the more matches you can find for names, dates, occupations, etc, the more certain you can be that your information is correct.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

And it was laughable to see every single firstborn on both sides of my family going back generations were born less than 6 months after their parents married. The only generation to do it the right way were my parents in the early 1960s!
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

I would love to get beyond my paternal granddad. I have his birth certificate and it gives a father's name but there's no marriage record. I have his elder sister's cert too with same info but then the 2 younger siblings are missing from the records assume their births weren't registered! I have a potential photo of the family of 5, have to say the younger 2 look different to the older 2. Census records don't help either, can only assume my gt grandma got about a bit... !
The 2 sisters never married and the younger brother died at the end of WW1, such a shame that I'm stuck with this gt grandfather issue.

My gt aunt (younger) died in 1981 before I got interested in family history and I never got to ask my dad either before he died.
Maybe something will come to light in the future as more things are put online. 🤞🤞
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

So I’ve had chance to have a bit of a look into the suggestions - am I right in saying that anything you enter on Ancestry is the made public?
Also any other suggestions for recording details you find? I’ve had a look at Family Tree Maker, which seems great, but at £80 I want to make sure I’ll stick with it! Anything else anyone can recommend for a starter?
I’m getting the impression I need to be ready for skeletons in cupboards! I’ll bear that in mind!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Information about living people is private on Ancestry and you can change the privacy level on your tree.
support.ancestry/s/art...y-Tree-Privacy
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List