Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Jul 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Newark(NY)

Trying to put a package together (3rd time )and the flight connects at Newark.This is where I need dibbers help.Think I need to change terminal and have mobility issues,is 1hr 55 mins enough time at Newark to connect?
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

I think that is tight, would be OK provided everything lines up and you don't arrive to a busy immigration hall, I would be looking for 3 hours.

If I remember correctly a shuttle train connects between terminals
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Newark is one of the calmer NY airports if i remember correctly, if everything runs smoothly then it should be fine
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks, my worry was it was a bit tight

Would we need to reclaim luggage at Newark or is it checked right through from Edinburgh?
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We changed at Newark on our last holiday, you can read about our travel day here in my trip report.

I found it really good - it happened to be fairly quiet in Arrivals, but you do need to queue there (we had arrived on a previously-used ESTA so could skip the queue). You then collect your suitcases, go through another queue for luggage checking/declaring, and then walk your luggage following the signs for Connecting Flights. Just before you get on the monorail to the other terminal, there's a station for dropping your luggage off again - so you really only have it for 5-10 minutes.

Once arrived at the other terminal, you'll be landside, so you need to go through all the usual airport security again before you can head to your gate. This bit actually ended up taking the longest for us! But it was all fine, and it was a lot quieter and more efficient than any time we've landed in Orlando, I wouldn't hesitate to travel through Newark again. I couldn't expect each time to be as quick as it was this time though, so I'd always aim to try and find a connection that gives you around 2 1/2 hours...we would have made this one, with 2 hours, but as we travel with a toddler, a little extra cushion of time is always a good idea.

And handy tip, if you book seats on the left side of the plane, you may have a lovely view of the New York City skyline when landing!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

We used to travel through Newark to Orlando when they did flights from Birmingham.

I think your time of 1h 55 min is a bit tight as you may need to queue at immigration (45 minutes was the longest we had), queue at customs, drop your baggage, get a train to the C terminal, go through TSA (which is never easy) & get to the gate.

We always tried to allow 3 hours which meant time to breath & not stress.

Also if you are going with United they can be unreliable with their time keeping especially in the summer when the New York area is susceptible to afternoon storms just like Orlando.

Having said all this I would still use them.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks nothingless,great info

Mary,yeah its United in march next year on a sunday so hopefully they,re more reliable then

Our other option is 2hr 40mins connect so looks like we,ll plump for that
Old 3 Jul 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JayPR View Post
Thanks nothingless,great info

Mary,yeah its United in march next year on a sunday so hopefully they,re more reliable then

Our other option is 2hr 40mins connect so looks like we,ll plump for that
I'd go for the 2 hour 40 minutes! Would be less stress trying to make the connection.

I've done the connection through Newark a few times and it's fairly straightforward, but can take more time if the immigration/customs/TSA waits are long. I thought going from one terminal to another was fairly straightfoward.

That being said with current pandemic/travel situation I don't know what it will be like now (whether better or worse)...
Old 3 Jul 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks sky

Going for the 2hrs 40 minutes as next ones a whopping 5hrs 20 mins

Not there yet as you never know how things are going to pan out
Old 4 Jul 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
macgasbp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JayPR View Post
Trying to put a package together (3rd time )and the flight connects at Newark.This is where I need dibbers help.Think I need to change terminal and have mobility issues,is 1hr 55 mins enough time at Newark to connect?
We had a similar dilemma for our flights in May 19 we just made our connecting flight due both the queues and then the transfer baggage system wasn’t working so we had to haul our cases across to the other terminal. We had booked for May 20 but moved this to May 21 and we took the later flight to Orlando which gives us an extra 30 mins so getting into Orlando around 5pm
macgasbp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List