Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Teenage relationships

I need some advice on this please dibbers. My 15 year old daughter has a 17 year old boyfriend, who seems to be a nice person. However, he lives about half an hour away and she has asked if he can stay over at the weekend. She says she will put him on the floor in her room. Now I have said a flat no but it got me thinking, I’m sure I’ve seen people on here whose teenagers are taking their boy/girl friends to Florida with them? Which makes me wonder if I’m being very old fashioned and naive? Has anyone got any advice for me on this matter? I am very open and willing to listen to different opinions x
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

my boys have had their girlfriends to stay and we have taken them away but not at aged 15 think it started around the 16/17 age and only when they have been going out for a long time . I do feel I am quite old-fashioned compared to others but as I see it its my house and its what I feel comfortable with.
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
afcajax73
slightly serious Dibber

I guess only you know your child (not a child really, of course) and should use your judgement as best you can. Some may be ready for that and trust worth enough, some may not.

My opinion is that if they're going to get up to anything, they're going to do it whether it's in the relative safety of your home or not.
afcajax73 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I know that I am very old fashioned. My daughter is the same age as yours. My answer would be most definitely no. I think it is far too young and she is also underage.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by afcajax73 View Post
I guess only you know your child (not a child really, of course) and should use your judgement as best you can. Some may be ready for that and trust worth enough, some may not.

My opinion is that if they're going to get up to anything, they're going to do it whether it's in the relative safety of your home or not.
At 15 she is still a child.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Can you not let him stay but sleep in another room? My niece has her boyfriend staying over sometimes but she sleeps on the sofa downstairs while he stays in her room. She’s 16 and my sister is happy with that arrangement.

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Not at 15, although they are probably not in a sexual relationship, there is no point in making the temptation more difficult for them. It would be illegal at her age and he could actually get put on the sex offender list.
I know this sounds over dramatic but it has happened to a friends son.
Not only legal reasons, I personally think 15 is too young. If they are still together when she turns 16 then I would re think the situation. 30 min away is not far, I would just offer to drive him home
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
At 15 my daughters boyfriend wouldn't be in the room, I wouldn't mind him stopping but spare room if you had one or sofa
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
Can you not let him stay but sleep in another room? My niece has her boyfriend staying over sometimes but she sleeps on the sofa downstairs while he stays in her room. She’s 16 and my sister is happy with that arrangement.
This is what I am thinking of saying. I am just struggling with the internal arguments in my head of, on the one hand, she’s a good, sensible girl and he does live quite a long way away by bus, and on the other hand, am I encouraging things to go further, quicker by allowing him in the house overnight?
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Not at 15, although they are probably not in a sexual relationship, there is no point in making the temptation more difficult for them. It would be illegal at her age and he could actually get put on the sex offender list.
I know this sounds over dramatic but it has happened to a friends son.
Not only legal reasons, I personally think 15 is too young. If they are still together when she turns 16 then I would re think the situation. 30 min away is not far, I would just offer to drive him home
Wow really? Think I might need another talk with her when she gets home from school