Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Remember, on roads with a 70 mph limit there is a minimum speed limit of 50 mph.

A workmate was done for speeding on the I4 going to Tampa. ( honest it wasn’t me! ) . He was pulled into a line of waiting cars, by a State Trouper car. When he asked how they got his speed as he was sure he didn’t see any patrol cars, the officer pointed to a Cessna aeroplane, patrolling above the highway.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gwilspeed View Post
I got pulled over by an undercover state trooper in South Carolina. Was doing 80 on the highway which apparently was a 60 (it was 70 about 20miles further back and hadn’t passed an obvious sign).

He was not best impressed by my U.K. driving licence, then got really angry when he couldn’t give me a ticket as I didn’t have a zip code. Ended up threatening me with jail and a $1000 fine, at this point I ≈≈≈≈ myself as didn’t want to go to jail (a, thinking about losing my Florida holidays b,it was a work trip so not the best)
After some begging blagging and explaining I didn’t have a $1000 in cash, was going home in 2 days and didn’t know the limit had changed he launched my licence back at me and told me to get lost but keep it down.

After reading a bit NC we’re having a bit crack down on speeding and guessed the cops have a quoter of people they need to stop and I didn’t count as he couldn’t book me. Lucky for me really.
I keep in down now (or at least let others go faster )

We were stopped on the way back from Tarpon Springs, still within their jurisdiction by a particularly unpleasant traffic cop. "Oh, your a British , no point in giving you a ticket, you will only throw it away and go home without paying." He then made us get out whilst he inspected the inside of the car, opening all our carrier bags and leaving the goods all awry n the seats for us to put away. Not a nice experience. In complete contrast to the Brooksville police who were amazing when we needed their help.
We always set cruise control now!
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Sorry but this is a really dumb question. Especially saying 'with no bother'.

The 10% rule in the UK is a myth. You can be given a ticket for any speed over the limit.

I am not saying I am in favour of how the UK forces are dishing out tickets to make money, but the speed limit is the speed limit. Your obviously an idiot who thinks they can travel 10% higher than the speed limit. Do you also take into account your under clocked speedo?

If anyone actually posts the answer you want, then your post will be breaking Dibb rules and be removed.

If you want to go to the US and test the limits, then be our guest.

Originally Posted by Chris7cc View Post
How strict are the police with enforcing speed limits on the freeway/Motorway in Florida? Do they have speed cameras (Average or otherwise).

Is it like in the uk where you can do 10% over with no bother?
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Remember, on roads with a 70 mph limit there is a minimum speed limit of 50 mph.

A workmate was done for speeding on the I4 going to Tampa. ( honest it wasn’t me! ) . He was pulled into a line of waiting cars, by a State Trouper car. When he asked how they got his speed as he was sure he didn’t see any patrol cars, the officer pointed to a Cessna aeroplane, patrolling above the highway.
There are a lot of aeroplane patrols in Florida. There are regular white lined across the roads that they use to check speed. They then just call speeding vehicles in and the car patrols follow them up.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
We were stopped on the way back from Tarpon Springs, still within their jurisdiction by a particularly unpleasant traffic cop. "Oh, your a British , no point in giving you a ticket, you will only throw it away and go home without paying." He then made us get out whilst he inspected the inside of the car, opening all our carrier bags and leaving the goods all awry n the seats for us to put away. Not a nice experience. In complete contrast to the Brooksville police who were amazing when we needed their help.
We always set cruise control now!
This is not typically what happens. You have to pay the fine (it is straightforward with visitors). Not only that, they will follow up with the rental company who will pay it on your behalf. If that fails, you will be stopped as you renter the US next time.
Many visitors have been stopped for speeding, red light infringement etc. etc.
You were very lucky.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ayeready
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post

The 10% rule in the UK is a myth. You can be given a ticket for any speed over the limit.

I am not saying I am in favour of how the UK forces are dishing out tickets to make money, but the speed limit is the speed limit. Your obviously an idiot who thinks they can travel 10% higher than the speed limit. Do you also take into account your under clocked speedo?

If anyone actually posts the answer you want, then your post will be breaking Dibb rules and be removed.

Hi Sprocket

Can you just confirm if everyone that travels at 77mph on the motorway is an idiot?

What about 80mph?

ayeready is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

You aren't allowed to have an under clocked speedo (in the UK anyway), and there is a limit to over clocking - I can't remember what it is but maybe 10%. But speedos are much more accurate these days on modern cars.
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris7cc
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Thanks for that Sprocket, on the motorway I can tell you now that no traffic cop in the UK is going to pull you if you are doing 77mph according to your speedo (at which point you are actually only doing 75mph) as long as you are driving safely.

The reason I ask is that I know the traffic enforcement rules vary wildly across the states.

Oh and yes I am one of those idiots who would rather be watching the road and driving to the conditions and not having to worry about going slightly over the limit than watching the speedo every few seconds and causing massive tailbacks as every other person is queuing up behind me as I haven't seen them in my rear view mirror as I am looking almost down all the time.
Chris7cc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris7cc
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Thanks all for the responses and experiences
Chris7cc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

Aside from the speed, if you are in a convertible or muscle car (Dodge Charger, etc), the cops do tend to prefer to stop those types of vehicle. Have seen it so many times, especially on the Turnpike.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List