Notices

Old 11 Sep 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

When to get a test?

In the last couple of hours my son has got a blocked yet runny nose, sore throat, heavy, watering eyes. Typical cold.
No cough, no temperature as of yet.
When he starts like this he usually gets a barking cough after a day or two. If that happens do I need to get him tested?
If he does develop a cough do the rest of us need to isolate?
My husband is a teacher and itís really difficult to have time off during term and its really not fair on his pupils (or boss).
It is a cold. But if this cold brings on a cough like usual do i still get him tested?

Sorry, I am repeating myself but its all so confusing (for me anyway)
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I would ask your GP the question.
Donaldfan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

The nhs site says a child should be tested if they show a main symptom and symptoms in children are;

Symptoms of coronavirus in children

The main symptoms of coronavirus are:

- a high temperature

- a new, continuous cough Ė this means coughing a lot, for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours

- a loss or change to sense of smell or taste Ė this means they cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

But yes you could ring 111 who will advise officially
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct but my understanding is if anyone in your household exhibits one or more of the covid symptoms then that person should get a test and the rest of the household isolates. If itís negative and no one else in the household is symptomatic then all fine to return to school/work etc.
Hope all is well
Alwaysdisley is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

FT, I can't help with symptoms but there is a testing site on Chapel Lane that isn't included on th national booking website thingy. You need to go through the council website to book but they are only open Mon-Fri. Hope he is ok xx

Edited to add: Not quite sure where on Chapel Lane it is but I think it may be on the car park opposite the Courts on the one way thing (near Papa Johns).

Edited at 09:09 PM.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cath24601
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

All the rules Iíve read suggest a runny nose etc is fine but if he gets the cough (isnít it a dry cough?) then Iíd maybe get a test to be on the safe side? A friend of mine and his son both got tested today as heís a key worker and his son has a cough and a temperature... result due in about 68 hours (so slow!)
Cath24601 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
We are in the process of this now, middle DS was sent home from school on Thurs lunchtime as he was coughing, youngest DS had a cold all last week, oldest DS and myself also have the cold, runny nose, sore throat and now middle DS also has a sore throat. I spoke to 111 and they said middle DS had to have a test as he is coughing regardless that we all have colds. I tried yesterday and today no luck in getting a test! Itís ridiculous that you canít get a test, they want children back at school but canít provide adequate testing.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The common sense approach would be that if he develops a cough that is chesty and not a dry continous cough and does not have a high temperature or loss of smell no test is required. However the "rules" seem to vary between schools and some seem to insist on a test for any cough in which case I believe the whole family should isolate too.

I kept my DD(14) off school for 2 days when she developed a cough with her cold and her school confirmed she did not need to get a test or the rest of the family isolate as while she had a cold, sore throat and chesty cough no covid symptoms. Her orthodontist appointment had to be cancelled though as she could not go if any type of cough as they are being in their words "extremely cautious".
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Joellybum
Apprentice Imagineer

My son usually gets a bad cough in the winter. His friend, like your son, gets a horrible barking cough. About a third of my sons class have a cold now that theyíve been back together for 2 weeks 🤦🏻 I would be more worried if he got a cough that was different from before. Motherís instinct is usually right, if you feel itís more than a cold and heís displaying symptoms then get him tested. Hope heís better soon xx
Joellybum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List