Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

We don’t let the cat on the work surfaces.

We don’t really use our kitchen table though except for Christmas dinner so perhaps that would work
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
We don’t let the cat on the work surfaces.

We don’t really use our kitchen table though except for Christmas dinner so perhaps that would work
We had no choice the kitchen table wasn't high enough. And I think my constantly wiping the working surface and always using a clean chopping board for everything means we were probably more hygienic than some.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsArcher2b
Excited about Disney

Mobile

When we had a labrador and springer spaniel the cat's food would be gobbled if they got to it.

Now i have a cockerpoo who is not overly fussed by food. Staying at my mum's she would occasionally have a snack from the cats bowl and the cat would occasionally snack from hers, lol.

Saying this, if your puppy is food aggressive you may have to watch out for the kitten going for the pup's food too.

Hope you enjoy your new bundle of fluff 🐶❤
MrsArcher2b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

you can successfully have cats & dogs together it just takes a little effort, planning and supervision at first. Ours are best friends they cuddle up together and rough and tumble like siblings yes they have the odd spat but for the most part get on great.

Feeding wise we feed the cat upstairs and the dog downstairs but its still a job to stop them eating each others food esp if its dry as they tend to graze with that rather than eating in one go. Despite having their own they share water bowls and will even drink from the same one at the same time though the dog does seem to prefer puddles

I would recommend allocating a room for the cat that can be shut off with a stairgate or even a board to stop the dog getting in so he/she has somewhere safe to go that the dog can't and if they are left alone keep them separate until things have settled.
We had a cage for our pup and he went it at night and when we had to go out at first he now just uses it when he wants some quiet time though the cat usually follows him in
its also an ideal way to introduce them as the dog is contained reducing the risk of any aggression/fear resulting in injury to either party. A scared cat can do some serious damage to a pup.

Goodluck

Edited at 08:49 PM.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Your dog is a grazer? My goodness, I didn't think dogs like that existed (I only have experience of pugs though and they are VERY greedy).
My dog is a grazer with her own food but would finish off the cats food in a flash if she got the chance😀.
I have a shelf next to the cat tree in the corner of the kitchen where I feed the cats. The dogs food is tucked underneath it. The dog does try and reach the shelf but has never managed it😂. She gets close if the chairs are moved too close to the shelf🤣
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry I don’t have any advice but would love to see some pictures of the new pup when he arrives 💕 also the cat lol
A lady who dog walks in our local park has a jack russel x Maltese (so slightly different) but she is adorable! She plays with my Tilly when they see each other lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

To be honest if anyone can provide a solution to two Bengal cats jumping up on work surfaces let us know because I don’t think it is possible btw we must have increased the profits of Milton by a thousand percent over the years 😂😂😂😂
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

We find our Bengal on top of her scratch pole, stops my 21 year old cat eating biscuits (he has no teeth and swallows them whole, then throws up). As it's a small breed of dog I think up high would be best. Cat biscuits can upset puppies stomachs.

I dont care about cats on work surfaces, I clean them down whenever i cook and my Bengal never listens anyway!
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Sorry I don’t have any advice but would love to see some pictures of the new pup when he arrives 💕 also the cat lol
A lady who dog walks in our local park has a jack russel x Maltese (so slightly different) but she is adorable! She plays with my Tilly when they see each other lol

This is the cat. His name is zuko, he came with the name already.

*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

My Eric has been jumping onto kitchen worktops for 21.5 years. I’ve never had an upset stomach or anything so it appears that wiping surfaces down with bleach and Zoflora does the trick.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List