Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy_Do_72
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Pet Rabbit.

Long story short, DD20 is suffering with severe anxiety and depression and PTSD. Flashbacks and nightmares. But she’s soldiering on, and I v proud of her.

We have a lush cockapoo who dotes on her. She records the hedgehogs and garden wildlife in our garden and that definitely helps, so now I’m thinking about getting her a surprise pet rabbit.

Can anyone see a down side to this idea? I’m thinking cute, soft , cuddly... but I know I’m seeing this through rose tinted specs..

Any thoughts on this? Please remember my intentions are good.
Daisy_Do_72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I see no issues.

Have you considered though if she has a spell of being unwell you may need to look after it?

We got guinea pigs for our children (younger) as they are better to handle than rabbits and lived in our house, rather than outside, which for us was a better option.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

I would also vote for Guinea pigs, cute and fluffy and also happy to be held and stroked. Rabbits can often bite.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I think I must have been really lucky with my rabbits as none have ever bitten. We currently have a house bunny who is 10 1/2 years old and he is the most gentle natured little bundle of fluff.
I find the male rabbits friendlier than females (though I did hand rear one female from a tiny baby and she was lovely and followed me everywhere.)
When I used to buy rabbits, the advice was to buy them singular rather than as a pair but I think the advice has changed now so you might want to consider getting two of the same sex.
Good luck in your decision making. 😊
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ideally rabbits need to be kept in pairs, there’s hope within the animal industry that legislation will be brought out to prevent shops from selling single rabbits. Rabbits can be great pets however guinea pigs can be more handleable but again need to be kept in at least pairs. Rabbits are also one of the most expensive animals to own, just so you are aware.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Ideally rabbits need to be kept in pairs, there’s hope within the animal industry that legislation will be brought out to prevent shops from selling single rabbits. Rabbits can be great pets however guinea pigs can be more handleable but again need to be kept in at least pairs. Rabbits are also one of the most expensive animals to own, just so you are aware.
I'd second that defo not a cheap and easy pet! Yearly vacs, vet visits, hay, food, large hutch soon adds up! And they need out every day to exercise, can't just be left all day and night. We have one rabbit now (other one died in March ☹️ ) she is 9 so they do live a good age! From the same litter, sisters, were best pals for years but then all. Of. A sudden one turned on the other so needed to live separate after that!

Edited at 11:14 PM.
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Sorry to jump on but is this the same for Dwarf lops?
We were going to get one for my dd when we move house but if we have to get two then I think I’d rather another cat than 2 rabbits!
Old 15 Sep 20, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I would go with guinea pigs as well, more sociable animals. Rabbits are more likely to bite.

If you get guinea pigs try to get females as they don't fight amongst themselves as much as males.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would ‘third’ about rabbits being expensive. We have a male lop who is now 10. He has had ongoing problems with spurs on his teeth, despite lots of hay, requiring general anaesthetic’s and the teeth being sorted which usually is around £300. I think he has had 4 operations now. He has a lovely personality and is very amusing with his rabbit ways. We had guinea pigs too but sadly they didn’t live to any old age like our rabbit.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Sorry to jump on but is this the same for Dwarf lops?
We were going to get one for my dd when we move house but if we have to get two then I think I’d rather another cat than 2 rabbits!
Yes all rabbits! Rabbits are social animals and should be kept in at least twos!