Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Aug 22, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

I’ve had the security checks at Disney. There seems to be no particular timing to it.

I do lock my door but they can and do override this. I was napping and didn’t hear a knock. I did wake up when I heard the door close - there was a CM who walked in - they seemed more mortified then me and uttered something about ‘trash collection’ - it wasn’t a great experience.

I’ve had them knock for trash collection which seems to be the cover story for security checks and asked them to come back if I knew I’d be leaving the room soon - they seemed happy to do this and must’ve checked when I was out as they didn’t come back.

I feel I got less checks when there was more housekeeping but maybe they clean counted as the check
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
I’ve had the security checks at Disney. There seems to be no particular timing to it.

I do lock my door but they can and do override this. I was napping and didn’t hear a knock. I did wake up when I heard the door close - there was a CM who walked in - they seemed more mortified then me and uttered something about ‘trash collection’ - it wasn’t a great experience.

I’ve had them knock for trash collection which seems to be the cover story for security checks and asked them to come back if I knew I’d be leaving the room soon - they seemed happy to do this and must’ve checked when I was out as they didn’t come back.

I feel I got less checks when there was more housekeeping but maybe they clean counted as the check
There shouldn’t be a need for a security check if there’s daily housekeeping. I’m not convinced we had it pre Covid when we opted out of housekeeping.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
There shouldn’t be a need for a security check if there’s daily housekeeping. I’m not convinced we had it pre Covid when we opted out of housekeeping.
I can’t be 100 percent sure but I think I did have a security check in 2019 after I’d declined housekeeping for a couple of days.

But yes, much preferred when it was done as part of the daily housekeeping
Old 16 Aug 22, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I can’t be 100 percent sure but I think I did have a security check in 2019 after I’d declined housekeeping for a couple of days.

But yes, much preferred when it was done as part of the daily housekeeping
If we did they definitely didn’t take the trash!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I found that an employee conducting a security check would announce themselves the same way as housekeeping normally do. That is knock, wait, if no answer try the door.

Whenever I am in the room, the bar will be on the door so that nobody will be able to let themselves in whilst I am in the bathroom or getting changed or whatever. I have always put the bar on the door, no matter what hotel I am, no matter where in the world, for both safety and to avoid any embarrassing situations.

We had security / housekeeping arrive at inconvenient times at WDW. We say so and ask them to come back later, no problem. It has never been any kind of an issue for us, I was solo for part of my recent trip and had company for another part.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post

I believe as long as someone (be that housekeeping or security) eyeball the room to ensure everything looks ok and that you aren't storing a load of guns and ammunition in there that is all that is required.

So if your room is cleaned by housekeeping that day, its classed as checked. If you aren't scheduled or housekeeping couldn't enter for some reason, then you are likely to get a visit from another cast member at some point to undertake the check.

I am not sure that it is law, it's just Disney World policy in reaction to the Las Vegas incident most likely working with law enforcement who have come to the conclusion that the risk of something happening is high enough to warrant the extra work for the cast members.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

I understand that it is Disney policy but it’s also a little bit of security theatre - they’re very accommodating at coming back later but that begs the question, if you did have something to hide, wouldn’t it be easy to do so? By asking them to return, you could be ‘hiding’ what you didn’t want them to see?
Old 17 Aug 22, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I assumed it was a legal requirement after the Las Vegas thing so if it’s not why do Disney do it? Can’t see at all what’s in it for them other than extra work.
We are assuming it's the Vegas thing but it could be something Disney World feel the need to do but that we don't know about.

I wouldn't let them in ... I only talked to them through the security latch. If they won't explain exactly why they want in my room then they can get lost. I did speak to CBR management about it but they were very cagey. I told them it's just weird for some random guy to want to be in a room where 2 teenage girls are undressed in bed...no way.

They still knocked every day though. I think they know when you've come back to your room.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
We are assuming it's the Vegas thing but it could be something Disney World feel the need to do but that we don't know about.

I wouldn't let them in ... I only talked to them through the security latch. If they won't explain exactly why they want in my room then they can get lost. I did speak to CBR management about it but they were very cagey. I told them it's just weird for some random guy to want to be in a room where 2 teenage girls are undressed in bed...no way.

They still knocked every day though. I think they know when you've come back to your room.
It’s been speculated online they’re also looking for signs of human trafficking
Old 17 Aug 22, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s been speculated online they’re also looking for signs of human trafficking

Interesting... So presumably as no other hotels seem to do these checks they must have had problems in the past. Seems odd to me that they would annoy all their guests and spend all that money unless it was a significant problem ?

Oh well, we'll probably never know for sure. I wonder how many complaints they get though.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List