Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Aug 22, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Dom and Sarah
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Authorizing Cards for use in USA

Hi All,

Do you still need to speak to the bank in reference to using your card abroad? I have just received a Revolut card (which i assume is okay to use abroad once activated in the UK), but will take a couple of Credit Cards with me in case the Revolut plays funny buggers. I know I had to speak to the bank last time I went, but that was a few years ago

Thanks in advance...
Dom and Sarah is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve not done that for years.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadot
slightly serious Dibber

Used to be able to tell Nationwide via online banking now they say they don’t need to know.
Floridadot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Chunky81
Excited about Disney

Some banks will take note others just ask you to make sure your contact details are correct as they may want to verify occasional transactions.

Once in a lifetime trip Oct 14 Terra Verde Villa
2nd Trip Oct 16 Terra Verde Villa
3rd Trip Easter 18 Dibb Villa Tuscan Hills
4th Trip Oct 19 POR+Terra Verde 5th Aug 19 Villa Need to plan again!
Chunky81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Do not bother anymore especially with Santander as it never made any difference. Even after notifying them they used to randomly block the card when it was being used in the reported area. Each time we contacted them to ask why was told it was done by the computer BUT no one looks at what has been stopped to cross check why which we found both confusing and irritating.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post

We’ve always done it with Nat West, and they blocked our card in Canada ( 15 years ago) and we had to ring them to unblock it. They said even though you have informed them, your card still could be stolen or cloned wherever you are so they still take precautions.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Normally if you do online banking you can check on the app or on the website, they either let you do it, or specify that you don't need to let them know anymore. I use Halifax clarity card, they use to have an option in the app to let them know, now they tell you that you don't need to.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Dom and Sarah
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

What about Revolut, has anyone had experience with them? I just got a card, but assume if i convert the currency to $USD, they will assume I am in USA
Dom and Sarah is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Markus
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Dom and Sarah View Post
What about Revolut, has anyone had experience with them? I just got a card, but assume if i convert the currency to $USD, they will assume I am in USA
It'll be my first time using my Revolut card in the USA but the card is like a pre-paid top-up card so you just transfer money from your bank to the card, exchange to $ (is what I do, but if you wish, you can leave £ on the card and accept the exchange rate at the time of each transaction when abroad) and then spend whatever you have loaded onto the card. Any transaction won't go through your bank at any point so no worries about them getting involved and declining/blocking the card.

The only issue is if the Revolut card does get declined in a few situations as I've read on here, such as Walmart.
Markus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Markus View Post
The only issue is if the Revolut card does get declined in a few situations as I've read on here, such as Walmart.
I think that is more the shop side putting that restrictions in. Some places don't like top up cards, as they are often used for fraud/money laundering.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List