Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Apr 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
It is a peaceful protest for an important cause. They have already met their goal which is to raise awareness. So much so that the political parties are willing to meet them. Job done I’d say.

I think it’s great that they are having fun whilst doing it. After all who said protesting had to be a serious angry affair.

Oxford st should be pedestrianised anyway.
And when they peacefully shut down the roads to the airports whenyou are due to go to Disney! Same attitude

Plus

Really difficult to pedestrianise oxford street as deliveries would be imposible due to the very narrow streets around and it’s route through London

Edited at 05:20 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
You don't know if they will make a difference and to say they are jumping on a bandwagon probably sums up your attitude to anything you do not agree with.
You don't know me so cant say that, I follow a few people on Instagram and 2 of them had nothing to do yesterday so thought it would be a good idea to join "the party" so went done and had a drink and dance, and posted it on their insta pages, so yes they jumped on the bandwagon and had a few hours of jumping around with all the other loons! nothing to do with climate change at all, but lets wait and see what they will achieve, my guess is nothing at all.
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lindylou46 View Post
If these protesters were serious they would be outside the Chinese Embassy protesting, China produces 40% of the worlds emissions and rising, we produce 1% and falling, but the police would be a lot more robust if they were disrupting outside there, so again just picking on easy targets who are just trying to get to work.
China is the world’s manufacturing hub. One reason for the increase in emissions is that China is making more and more of the stuff the rest of the world wants to buy.

Ours are falling because we now make bog-all.

Easy to sit back and play the good guys when we are outsourcing pollution.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Mobile

I think people are too quick to condemn climate change protestors and call them ‘hippies’ ‘loons’ etc. I am also a firm believer that we should all stand up for what we believe in. There’s nothing worse than people who contribute little to the world sat back complaining about peaceful protestors trying to make a positive difference to the messed up world we live in.
I don’t know much about these particular protests aside from what I hear other people say and it sounds like they are disrupting a lot of people which isn’t good.

On the fence with this one really given how little I watch of the news these days. My OH told me the protestor had glued his hand to the window of the train and my response was ‘I hope the glue he used was not tested on animals’

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
We don't know. Usually all protests, and someone referred to Suffragettes, are considered at the time to be counter productive.

It would seem to me that major disruption might get a quicker response than alternative protests.

Don't get too excited about my posts. I'm not a member of Extinction Rebellion but ask yourselves what would you do to get quick changes.

David Attenborough says we have only 10 years to save the planet. Is he a loon?
Did he though? He said this in an interview earlier this month.

“What we do in the next 20 years will determine the future for all life on earth."
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
I think people are too quick to condemn climate change protestors and call them ‘hippies’ ‘loons’ etc. I am also a firm believer that we should all stand up for what we believe in. There’s nothing worse than people who contribute little to the world sat back complaining about peaceful protestors trying to make a positive difference to the messed up world we live in.
I don’t know much about these particular protests aside from what I hear other people say and it sounds like they are disrupting a lot of people which isn’t good.

On the fence with this one really given how little I watch of the news these days. My OH told me the protestor had glued his hand to the window of the train and my response was ‘I hope the glue he used was not tested on animals’
Again, same opinion when and if your flight to USA affected

This is the issue, it’s very easy to say, right to protest, peacefully or otherwise when it’s affecting others, not so good when it’s affecting you and yours
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Originally Posted by lindylou46 View Post
If these protesters were serious they would be outside the Chinese Embassy protesting, China produces 40% of the worlds emissions and rising, we produce 1% and falling, but the police would be a lot more robust if they were disrupting outside there, so again just picking on easy targets who are just trying to get to work.

Agree, I have recently returned form the UAE and the amount of waste there is staggering, its these countries who need to start thinking about climate change, for everything well we do in this country other counties are outweighing it 10 times over, its shocking.

Outside of Dubai which is kept very clean, its a different story, beaches are loaded with waste, the amount of plastic water bottles thrown about is hard to see, its a sad sight.
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

I work on Oxford Street so I have walked past them a couple of times a day and in all honesty it's made my working week a lot nicer! I'm sure it has caused inconvenience to lots of people (and I'm not dismissing that) but there is also a good amount of support for what they are doing. I think if they seriously start impacting the tube & airports though any good will they do have from general public will quickly disintegrate and do more damage to their cause than good.

I'm certainly not an eco-warrior but I have stopped and listened to a couple of the speeches given from the top of the pink boat and they've been pretty inspiring to me.

For those saying what does it achieve - well it's got a lot of people talking about it and that leads to people being more aware of something that is vital to all of our futures.

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
China is the world’s manufacturing hub. One reason for the increase in emissions is that China is making more and more of the stuff the rest of the world wants to buy.

Ours are falling because we now make bog-all.

Easy to sit back and play the good guys when we are outsourcing pollution.
Spot on. We even send our waste to China to make us look better.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bigseve View Post
Did he though? He said this in an interview earlier this month.

“What we do in the next 20 years will determine the future for all life on earth."
Yes he did. It's part of his new documentary on climate change. The actual quote was on Breakfast television this morning.

He emphasises that change for the worse is happening faster than he previously thought.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List