Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Apr 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I 100% agree, I have conversations with my sister over the phone and then my next advert on say FB is that of what we have just talked about.
Old 20 Apr 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I totally agree with this,noticed on a few occasions. Most recently yesterday when we discovered a family member has cancer and needs Chemotherapy, I was told in a phone call,I didn't put this info in any texts or searches. A few hours later a add for private hospital offering Chemotherapy came up 😯
Old 20 Apr 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
I 100% agree, I have conversations with my sister over the phone and then my next advert on say FB is that of what we have just talked about.
Yes this happened to my cousin, she was on her landline talking about holidays, her phone was on the table. When she went into her FB she was bombarded with ads on the country she had been talking about.
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
I’ve had something even stranger that I can’t explain away, a couple of weeks ago I read a newspaper article about equity release, I didn’t google it or mention it to DH, the next day I got an email from an equity release company, now that’s really odd 😏😏
I have this too, I have my webcam covered over on my laptop now as its just so odd. Just as I am tying this I bet the camera on my phone also has the ability to watch me.
Old 20 Apr 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
Interesting thought about YouTube. I didn’t watch it directly on my phone, DH used the YouTube app on the TV and the account is in his name, but obviously at the same IP address.
I avoid using Google to search. I use the DuckDuckGo search engine (which doesn’t track you), on the Brave browser which blocks a lot of stuff.
We’ve thought about a VPN and may yet use one. There are some concerns about the security of those .
Facebook are certainly good at aggregating data even when you don’t click on ads! 😁
I did a lot of research and ended up going with NordVPN. It has very good reviews and doesn’t keep logs of your browsing data (allegedly, but seeing as its a paid service hopefully they wouldn’t need to be selling on browsing data anyway).

Most people who know a lot more then me about internet security recommend them, one do my friends works for banks setting up firewalls, etc, and he uses them.

I was going to add, even though I’m sceptical about devices listening in on you I totally believe they could be watching you! It’s really easy for hackers to gain access to your phone cameras through apps you’ve allowed to use it, or even through malware.

After I saw that Mark Zuckerberg covers his own phone camera with a sticker I also started doing that, front and back. I just move the sticker when I need to take photos. Maybe this is overcautious but I don’t like the idea of being watched and it just makes me feel safer. Maybe the odds of someone bothering with hacking my camera are less then Zuckerberg, but whatever!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Yesterday I used St Tropez bronzing cream in my bathroom, its been in the cupboard for ages...My phone was on the side. of the bath. Today up pops ads for St Tropez tanning gel on My laptop and I definately did not google it...Very very unnerving.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

This has happened to me more times than I care to think about! Been sitting talking in the house then up pops an advert on Facebook about it. We even talked about something completely random to see if it popped up, and it did!

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm experimenting by randomly saying 'Sweden' at various points. Never visited, googled, nobody in the house has, we know nobody from Sweden... I'll report back.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
I'm experimenting by randomly saying 'Sweden' at various points. Never visited, googled, nobody in the house has, we know nobody from Sweden... I'll report back.
Ahh, it could be very subtle though and send you adverts for Ikea!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List