Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 5 Mar 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
It's perfectly fine & your legally married, no need for any ceremony over here
We got married there nearly 8 years ago, my marriage certificate has been accepted everywhere including a new passport

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

It's not exactly illegal as such, but when we got married in Las Vegas we were told that it is accepted by the UK because it was hard to ignore/disprove as such. Marriage is essentially a witnessed document, and the more that you think about it the more fickle it seems.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My doctor's receptionist grumbled it didn't say I was Mrs Duchy on it anywhere. I pointed out it doesn't on U.K. Certificates either just that Mr Smith and Miss Jones got married !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
It's not exactly illegal as such, but when we got married in Las Vegas we were told that it is accepted by the UK because it was hard to ignore/disprove as such. Marriage is essentially a witnessed document, and the more that you think about it the more fickle it seems.
The mess that could be made by a bigamous wedding, life insurance , inheritance by surviving spouse etc doesn't bear thinking about. I'd actually expect better from someone working there .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Married over 6 years ago in Florida and no problems to report. Seems odd that they are doing this with no basis whatsoever.
As long as you follow the rules, it’s a great way to tie the knot 😁
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The mess that could be made by a bigamous wedding, life insurance , inheritance by surviving spouse etc doesn't bear thinking about. I'd actually expect better from someone working there .

Working where? The UK Government? US marriages are not exactly the same as UK ones, but the UK will recognize a US marriage because it is too difficult not to. That's how it was described to me when the internet was a baby and I spoke to the relevant authorities. Sam7's post (from the gov.uk website concurs.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Working where? The UK Government? US marriages are not exactly the same as UK ones, but the UK will recognize a US marriage because it is too difficult not to. That's how it was described to me when the internet was a baby and I spoke to the relevant authorities. Sam7's post (from the gov.uk website concurs.
Actually from a legal point they are.
For example my American marriage would make me my husband's legal spouse if he died without making a will. It puts me on the same footing as if we had married in the UK. If we hadn't married his children (from a previous marriage) would inherit not me . The geography of the wedding is entirely irrelevant. Can you imagine the mess if the British government decided to not recognise any marriages that took place outside of the UK? The UK stance is if it's legal in that country , then it's legal here (even if it wouldn't be if performed here, like countries who permit multiple wives)

As for working where, yes I expect a local government official to give accurate advice not completely wrong advice, especially when that advice could lead to legal issues like bigamy and inheritance issues. Not make stuff up either through ignorance or to boost their own bookings !

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Old 6 Mar 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Can you imagine the mess if the British government decided to not recognise any marriages that took place outside of the UK?

As for working where, yes I expect a local government official to give accurate advice not completely wrong advice, especially when that advice could lead to legal issues like bigamy and inheritance issues. Not make stuff up either through ignorance or to boost their own bookings !
That's the whole point, US marriages are recognized here, but it's not legally exactly the same as getting married here. The registry office worker was essentially right, but there is no need to do anything in the UK if you get married in the US because the UK chooses to recognize their ceremony. Some ceremonies of marriage in some countries are not recognized by the UK, and do need to be registered here.

Getting married in Florida under their State Law is recognized by the UK so go ahead and book, I can't possible comment on difficulties in the future, but if there are any I'll be right there with you OP!
Old 6 Mar 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Well I got married in Texas a few years ago and I have had absolutely no problems since I got back including changing my name on my passport because of the marriage! Utter nonsense and very poor customer service to give unqualified information. It may not be exactly the same as being married here but the marriage is still legal and is still recognised! I would be having a word with senior registrar and giving them a wee link to the governments own website!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

You are missing the point.
For a U.K. Resident marrying in the US rather than in the U.K. gives them exactly the same legal standing here as someone married in a U.K. Registry office.
In no sense or form is it "not legal" it'd be like saying someone married under Scottish law isn't legally married in England because our marriage laws aren't identical !
The registry office employee was talking utter rubbish ! They were in no way "essentially right" they were just wrong.

That's the whole point, US marriages are recognized here, but it's not legally exactly the same as getting married here. The registry office worker was essentially right, but there is no need to do anything in the UK if you get married in the US because the UK chooses to recognize their ceremony. Some ceremonies of marriage in some countries are not recognized by the UK, and do need to be registered here.

Getting married in Florida under their State Law is recognized by the UK so go ahead and book, I can't possible comment on difficulties in the future, but if there are any I'll be right there with you OP!

Edited at 02:39 PM.