Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Make sure you choose a cabin mid ships on a low deck so you feel less movement when in bed. That will help on a night and if you need to go and lie down.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So I'd say just make sure you are prepared and you'll be fine. I have cruised a lot and never got sick until our Christmas cruise in the Caribbean. The waters leaving Port Everglades were rough - half the ship were sick according to staff. I spent almost 24 hours being sick continually even with Sea Bands on. Next time I'm going to do patches just in case.

That said I have done many different cruises and never been sea sick before so I think it can just be down to luck. It doesn't put me off cruising just next time I'll be more prepared. The patches I have been told work fantastically and so I've ordered some for October.
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
So I'd say just make sure you are prepared and you'll be fine. I have cruised a lot and never got sick until our Christmas cruise in the Caribbean. The waters leaving Port Everglades were rough - half the ship were sick according to staff. I spent almost 24 hours being sick continually even with Sea Bands on. Next time I'm going to do patches just in case.

That said I have done many different cruises and never been sea sick before so I think it can just be down to luck. It doesn't put me off cruising just next time I'll be more prepared. The patches I have been told work fantastically and so I've ordered some for October.
Are these the same patches that you see Americans wearing on cruise ships? I had been told they are only available on prescription in the US and not available in the U.K. The patches available online in the U.K. seem to be herbal remedies. Are you able to get the proper medication patches?
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

One of the things holding us back from booking a cruise was the worry of seasickness and the impact it would have. We were on marella celebration in the Caribbean last month and despite some definite choppiness for several days, neither of us were affected. I’d had a very bad experience with seasickness many years ago so we took some Dramamine with us as a precaution but it came back unused.
Old 24 Feb 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Are these the same patches that you see Americans wearing on cruise ships? I had been told they are only available on prescription in the US and not available in the U.K. The patches available online in the U.K. seem to be herbal remedies. Are you able to get the proper medication patches?
Scopoderm patches - they contain hyoscine. I find them really effective - much more effectie than any other motion sickness remedy I've tried including dramamine that everyone seems to swear by (I use them for theme parks too!). I particularly like that they last 72 hours, so no remembering to take tablets on time. You can get them in the UK but they are prescription only and travel sickness is something NHS doctors are discouraged from prescribing for. However you can easily get them via an online consultation service (just answer medical questions online) or you can find a private GP. Try searching for scopoderm online and you'll find lots of results.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I take ginger root tablets from Holland and Barrett
We go Holland America so slightly smaller ships

Out of 3 Caribbean cruises have had 2 days feeling sick once when it was bouncy ( and the captain changed route to get the other side of an island )but was ok laid on the bed and not sick,

I didnt take any other meds and am not a good traveler
Often feel sick in the back of cars and randomly even when I got new glasses 🤓
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
Scopoderm patches - they contain hyoscine. I find them really effective - much more effectie than any other motion sickness remedy I've tried including dramamine that everyone seems to swear by (I use them for theme parks too!). I particularly like that they last 72 hours, so no remembering to take tablets on time. You can get them in the UK but they are prescription only and travel sickness is something NHS doctors are discouraged from prescribing for. However you can easily get them via an online consultation service (just answer medical questions online) or you can find a private GP. Try searching for scopoderm online and you'll find lots of results.
Thanks.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Dr Fox sell scopoderm patches which is what my sister used and found effective. I may try some herbal ones however that you can get online. The US ones that you see tend to be Dramamine and we don't get these over here
Old 29 Feb 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I am a real sick 🤢 person, rides, cars, planes, I was worried about cruising so I tried a 2 day one first dosed up with stergeon, with the newer larger ships as previous post says they have stabilisers. I’ve now done 7 of them and the last in the Caribbean I didn’t take tablets and I was fine, although at times a little rum punch drunk 🥴😀

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List