Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Dec 16, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Looking at my table I have some scotch tape - so an online account with them could have a password sc023tcHtap2 - I know how I got there... no one else does. And change them periodically! That is the biggest suggestion.
But how do you remember them - especially if you change them periodically? How do you know the current password is sc023tcHtap2 and not sC023Tchtap1 or sc022tcHTap2 or whatever you might change it to?

I have over a dozen different password to remember at work. I can't access a safe to keep them in. All of them require updating every 3 months (some more often than that). I can't use a special password program. I'm not supposed to write them down.

And that's just my work passwords. God knows how many passwords I have at home or on my mobile devices. I have a fairly easy (= easy to hack!) password system and even then I can't remember the passwords to some of my accounts.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
But how do you remember them - especially if you change them periodically? How do you know the current password is sc023tcHtap2 and not sC023Tchtap1 or sc022tcHTap2 or whatever you might change it to?

I have over a dozen different password to remember at work. I can't access a safe to keep them in. All of them require updating every 3 months (some more often than that). I can't use a special password program. I'm not supposed to write them down.

And that's just my work passwords. God knows how many passwords I have at home or on my mobile devices. I have a fairly easy (= easy to hack!) password system and even then I can't remember the passwords to some of my accounts.
There is a code in there for the month and year of use, makes it easier for me to remember them then.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I use password safe on my phone, it's all backed up to the cloud.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
There is a code in there for the month and year of use, makes it easier for me to remember them then.
So now you've got to remember the month when you updated each of your passwords? That sounds even more complicated.

And if all you are doing is keeping everything else in your password the same and just changing the date code for each website, then that doesn't sound much different to my simple method.

So, do you keep the same password (with month and year) for all passwords though? Or is "scotchtape" changed for each website/application? And, if so, how do you remember which word applies to which account?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

So now you've got to remember the month when you updated each of your passwords? That sounds even more complicated.

And if all you are doing is keeping everything else in your password the same and just changing the date code for each website, then that doesn't sound much different to my simple method.

So, do you keep the same password (with month and year) for all passwords though? Or is "scotchtape" changed for each website/application? And, if so, how do you remember which word applies to which account?
You update your passwords EVERY month - so not complicated at all.

You do not keep everything the same - the code changes certain things as part of it's coding - that is all I will say about my methods.

And NO I would never use the same word for more than one account - there is a method for setting the word for each account though.

As part of my monthly admin, I delete accounts that are no longer needed. I have never forgotten a password yet.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
You update your passwords EVERY month - so not complicated at all.

You do not keep everything the same - the code changes certain things as part of it's coding - that is all I will say about my methods.

And NO I would never use the same word for more than one account - there is a method for setting the word for each account though.

As part of my monthly admin, I delete accounts that are no longer needed. I have never forgotten a password yet.
I don't think I'd be able to remember different random words for the 50+ passwords I have to remember. Nor find time to change those words every single month. That's over 600 passwords to remember each year.

A code that alters the password based on the month and year only complicates matters, IMO.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 19 Dec 16, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I don't think I'd be able to remember different random words for the 50+ passwords I have to remember. Nor find time to change those words every single month. That's over 600 passwords to remember each year.

A code that alters the password based on the month and year only complicates matters, IMO.
hey ho - we are all different, codes and numbers are my thing.

Used to be a computer networks manager BC (before children) and old habits die hard. Our department had an enforced monthly change on all accounts. Encouraged people to not hold multiple accounts and to close down temporary ones which were not in continual use.

I still have under 20 password/passcodes to remember so not too bad.
Old 19 Dec 16, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Lets face it, most of us let our web browsers remember passwords for us even though that's a massive security risk...
Old 19 Dec 16, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I do worry about it, but I have mine written down (not with cards), but for websites etc. Drives me bl@@dy mad. Can't get into my own accounts without changing the password sometimes, but a hacker could do it quicker and easier. Please soon let it all be fingerprint technology and then I can stop all these bl@@dy passwords.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread