Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 May 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

You can use Heathrow Connect for a fraction of the price of Heathrow Express and it is basically the same journey - the only difference is that it stops at a couple of stations.

Trouble is, you then need to get from Paddington to wherever you’re going next, which would usually involve the tube anyway.

Maybe it is because I lived in London 27 years but I found the tube from Heathrow the easiest option. Heathrow is the end of the line, so there will always be a virtually empty carriage with plenty of space. If not, there will be another train along in 2 minutes. Then you just sit there for 40 min or so and get off the other end. No changing, no lugging cases around. Kings Cross even has lifts to ground level which Paddington doesn’t.
Other parks: Tokyo

Edited at 07:34 AM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
ChrisS - I’m glad somebody else hates the new Azuma carriages - they’re cramped, claustrophobic, uncomfortable and there’s precious little luggage space!
One Azuma advantage, only 7 pax in the carriage on the 7th April - we were due to fly RSW to Man, 8th May, then on a new, comfy, TPE train to Durham. That went to pot, KLM placed us on AA, Mia to LHR. Hubs hauled our medium case along the carriage (aisle no longer wide enough to push or pull the case), shoved it under the opposite table. LNER Azuma's looks/feel cheap, no 'substance' and comfort.

Afore we travelled with LNER last Nov I researched Azuma, reviews not good, particularly the seat, a look shows it lacks comfort padding, park your backside on it and within minutes you'll feel how bad it is, felt like a backward step, almost as uncomfortable as wooden seated trains/trams. Due to the reviews I picked a time oboard the older Intercity 225, former Virgin Trains, very comfy seating.

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Travelled on train to Gatwick using Thames link which was brilliant, saw lots of the ‘sights’ on the way. Loved it.
Travelled to Heathrow via the underground and hated it, awful. So much so that on the return leg, I purchased Heathrow Express tickets which was brilliant, cut out most of the return tube journey👍
Therefore would definitely fly from Gatwick again, would use Heathrow BUT only if we booked the Heathrow Express too.
Hi FR, admittedly it was circa 8 years ago but Durham to KGX/St Pancras to LGW was a smooth journey and hopefully still is

I researched taking the HEX but it involved changing at Paddington. A London pal strongly advised against a Paddington change, esp with luggage, he said by the time we slavered on getting from tube to HEX train to Premier Inn we'd be no better off time wise and the fare would be c£25.90pp vs tube to Hounslow West at £3.10pp [included bus to Bath Road Premier Inn]. The KGX/St Pancras off peak tube to Hounslow West was convenient, being overground from Earls Court made for a surprisingly canny 45 minute journey, I thought I may be unsettled but wasn't, once overground the jurney passed quickly.
Old 7 Jun 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

We travel down the LlHR by train, Leamington to Marylebone, then tube to oaddingtonnand TFL train to Heathrow, that is much cheaper than tickets Leamington to Heathrow and Heathrow express
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Im really pleased with all of this info thanks to OP who started it!
If I arrive about 5.30 pm to kings cross and get the 6.30 ish train from at pancras to Gatwick will it be quiet will the rush hour be over. I’m not used to big cities! Thanks
mrsbenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

For work I usually travel out of KK on a 5.30 pm train and its peak rush hour I'm afraid

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
For work I usually travel out of KK on a 5.30 pm train and its peak rush hour I'm afraid
Oh so the st Pancras to Gatwick will be busy too? What time would people recommend arriving into kings cross to get train out of at pancras. Can’t go too early as youngest at school. I’m a bit worried I think of travelling around London later in evening. Please tell me I have nothing to worry about. As I mentioned not used to big cities! Thanks
mrsbenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Scattle
Excited about Disney

I'm a Train Driver for Thameslink, depending on where you are coming from you wouldn't need to go into Kings Cross and walk over to St pancras.
The Cambridge - Brighton or Peterborough - Horsham Thameslink services are direct to Gatwick without changing. After stopping at Finsbury Park station they use the canal tunnels and next stop is St pancras then eventually to Gatwick.

Or if you are from the North and getting a LNER service into Kings X, then yes you will need to get off at Kings X and 5 min walk over to St pancras, the Thameslink platforms are underground.

Brighton trains in the rush hour say 5pm onwards are pretty busy, however if you are getting on a Gatwick bound Train at St pancras you Will get seats, as the train will be pretty empty, its only after St pancras when its stops at farringdon/city thameslink/blackfriars and london bridge it will be full up.

Hope thats helps

Edited at 01:55 PM.
Scattle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scattle View Post
I'm a Train Driver for Thameslink, depending on where you are coming from you wouldn't need to go into Kings Cross and walk over to St pancras.
The Cambridge - Brighton or Peterborough - Horsham Thameslink services are direct to Gatwick without changing. After stopping at Finsbury Park station they use the canal tunnels and next stop is St pancras then eventually to Gatwick.

Or if you are from the North and getting a LNER service into Kings X, then yes you will need to get off at Kings X and 5 min walk over to St pancras, the Thameslink platforms are underground.

Brighton trains in the rush hour say 5pm onwards are pretty busy, however if you are getting on a Gatwick bound Train at St pancras you Will get seats, as the train will be pretty empty, its only after St pancras when its stops at farringdon/city thameslink/blackfriars and london bridge it will be full up.

Hope thats helps
Hiya Scattle, ty for the info Mrs Benny and I are LNER from Durham, so KGX and a swift walk to St Pan it is... unless there's a no change train from P'boro that calls in at LGW?

What did surprise us, last Nov was our first time from LHR in 10 years, we were pleasantly surprised how easy it was from KGX to Hounslow West via the tube station right outside KGX entrance.
Old 17 Jun 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Scattle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya Scattle, ty for the info Mrs Benny and I are LNER from Durham, so KGX and a swift walk to St Pan it is... unless there's a no change train from P'boro that calls in at LGW?

What did surprise us, last Nov was our first time from LHR in 10 years, we were pleasantly surprised how easy it was from KGX to Hounslow West via the tube station right outside KGX entrance.
Hi Chris, In that case as you are from Durham, get a LNER service into Kings X and walk over to St Pancras like you say, it will be quickest that way.
Once at St Pancras head for Platform A - which is the Southbound Thameslink Services, and look out for a Brighton/Gatwick Airport service they will be the quickest for you. Normal stops are Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge, East Croydon then Gatwick.
It may even be me driving the Train
Scattle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scattle View Post
Hi Chris, In that case as you are from Durham, get a LNER service into Kings X and walk over to St Pancras like you say, it will be quickest that way.
Once at St Pancras head for Platform A - which is the Southbound Thameslink Services, and look out for a Brighton/Gatwick Airport service they will be the quickest for you. Normal stops are Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge, East Croydon then Gatwick.
It may even be me driving the Train
Yeap, the St Pan option we took 10 years ago, it was canny but then we only take one medium sized suitcase. We'd consider out from LHR again, even tho LNER's new Azuma is bloody uncomfortable, nee seat padding!