Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 May 20, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanellope
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile Anyone else thinking of changing their whole holiday?

We were due to go to AKL this May with free dining and rebooked with TUI for next year using their rebooking incentive to add on a paid QSDP. With the unclear announcement it looks like possibly maybe our dining plan may be cancelled, this would mean a £3200 refund.

I saw a lot of folks on here talking about Cabana bay so had a small peak, we’d be looking at around £1500pp for a tower family suite as opposed to the £2200pp we’ve paid for the pool view at AKL, so all in all an extra £5300 (I nearly fainted yesterday when I did the maths)
I am a huge Walt Disney fan and haven’t done a none resort holiday since 2015 and have mostly stuck to Disney property but that extra money could pay for Gatorland, universal, sea world and cover our Uber costs as well as food for three.
Although I understand the reasoning behind it I do think the way Disney have cancelled the free dining for folk has been handled poorly why not just downgrade it to qsdp? Why wipe out absolutely every incentive to pay for a Disney Resort? Universal seem to be really looking after their hotel guests.
Obviously a lot could change by next year and Universal can say what they want but the true test will be on opening.
I’m interested is anyone else thinking of jumping ship? What does your savings look like?
Vanellope is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Me! Currently have free QSDP for five at CBR (plus another room without dining) for this September. At the moment we’d need approx an extra £2k for food over those ten days that I hadn’t budgeted for.

Waiting to see what Disney are going to offer but did some sums based on cancelling Disney altogether.
Endless Summer 8nts
Gulf Coast 2nts
Extended car hire extra 9nts
Seaworld parks tickets inc DC
And food costs
We’re looking at saving approx £4k based on no discount offer from Disney, or nearer £3k if they offer us the 35% they’ve been offering US guests.

Edited to add: we already have 6 nights at Cabana Bay booked and a car for the final 7 nights of our 16 night holiday. We also have Universal annual passes

Edited at 07:22 AM.
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanellope
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by WeHeartOrlando View Post
Me! Currently have free QSDP for five at CBR (plus another room without dining) for this September. At the moment we’d need approx an extra £2k for food over those ten days that I hadn’t budgeted for.

Waiting to see what Disney are going to offer but did some sums based on cancelling Disney altogether.
Endless Summer 8nts
Gulf Coast 2nts
Extended car hire extra 9nts
Seaworld parks tickets inc DC
And food costs
We’re looking at saving approx £4k based on no discount offer from Disney, or nearer £3k if they offer us the 35% they’ve been offering US guests.

Edited to add: we already have 6 nights at Cabana Bay booked and a car for the final 7 nights of our 16 night holiday. We also have Universal annual passes
Sounds like an amazing holiday! What I would hope is that Disney are perhaps seeing people like us who are looking elsewhere now and offer something, however I do understand they’re proper up to their neck in it, in a way they’re victims of their own success.
They’ve paused further resort bookings for 2020, i understand we are just one forum but if a huge number start looking elsewhere I can see them rethinking that!
Old 31 May 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m a die hard Disney fan. And like many on here have had this years holiday booked and planned since April last year. I love staying onsite but without “free” food it’s just not affordable for my family.
I was so looking forward to finally seeing Galaxy’s Edge and getting back on Flight of Passage too 😭

Kind of hoping that Disney are planning some amazing sweetener for us but I don’t think it will be sweet enough in all honesty.

Saying all of this if BA extend their flight cancellation/ amendment period to cover September then we’d consider just postponing the holiday completely.
Cabana Bay: Sep 2019 Oct 2023
DLP: Oct 05 Sep 13 Feb 14 July 19
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanellope View Post
We were due to go to AKL this May with free dining and rebooked with TUI for next year using their rebooking incentive to add on a paid QSDP. With the unclear announcement it looks like possibly maybe our dining plan may be cancelled, this would mean a £3200 refund.

I saw a lot of folks on here talking about Cabana bay so had a small peak, we’d be looking at around £1500pp for a tower family suite as opposed to the £2200pp we’ve paid for the pool view at AKL, so all in all an extra £5300 (I nearly fainted yesterday when I did the maths)
I am a huge Walt Disney fan and haven’t done a none resort holiday since 2015 and have mostly stuck to Disney property but that extra money could pay for Gatorland, universal, sea world and cover our Uber costs as well as food for three.
Although I understand the reasoning behind it I do think the way Disney have cancelled the free dining for folk has been handled poorly why not just downgrade it to qsdp? Why wipe out absolutely every incentive to pay for a Disney Resort? Universal seem to be really looking after their hotel guests.
Obviously a lot could change by next year and Universal can say what they want but the true test will be on opening.
I’m interested is anyone else thinking of jumping ship? What does your savings look like?
I booked POFQ with free dining and that is qsdp.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanellope
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
I booked POFQ with free dining and that is qsdp.
See that’s where I’m confused, I understand the limited capacity for sit downs causing a headache but it seems like quick service eating will still be available for take away!
Old 31 May 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanellope View Post
See that’s where I’m confused, I understand the limited capacity for sit downs causing a headache but it seems like quick service eating will still be available for take away!
I think it's partly down to money. Disney have lost millions and by removing the free dining everyone is going to have to pay out of pocket. Depending on what Disney offer us Universal is a definite plan B. I really like the look of Sapphire Falls and as you say, Universal is so much cheaper.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thinking we may delay until next year very sadly. I can’t genuinely see things going well at Universal (I hope they do though), given the trends atm where things seem to be taking a set back. Having listened into the Orange County thing the other day it was clear they are concerned about the second wave.

I think this year is likely to be a write off.

I just hope I can get my money back for Aug BA flights
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
gizmodo
Excited about Disney

Yes, I'm rethinking. I'm happy if we don't fly, but if we do fly I'm trying to make sure this holiday can be the best for the money. And spending over £3k on the current Disney state for 7 nights is not good value. So I've looked at a back up of extending our universal part, even staying at RPR for the 7 days would mean we could do some different days out plus pay for food for the same cost of Disney with no food.

I'm holding out for now. Things are changing all the time. I just like to have plan b, c, d etc!
gizmodo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
elshabba
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Yep, me!
Currently booked 2 weeks Caribbean Beach Resort with QSDP for 20th September. I’m going to wait to see what Disney say before I make a decision - but we already have 14 days Universal tickets so I’m pricing up an on site hotel stay with them for 14 days and are going to ask my parents and brother if they fancy a more chilled out Universal only holiday.
Just waiting to hear what Disney say first...
elshabba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List