Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 May 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

we got thrown straight in to the deep end as our flights were UK-Seattle-Fairbanks which meant we didn't get into our hotel until after 11pm and had to be up 5am next morning for our flight to the Arctic Circle for a day trip to see polar bears! That second night we were probably in bed around 10-10:30 but TBH we usually get up really early on holiday anyway so that would be normal for us.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
We’ve done 2 Alaska cruises (plus visited the west coast many times) and the older I get, the more difficult I find adjusting to the time difference ☹️. Last year we flew into Calgary (7 hour difference), and then spent a week in the Canadian Rockies and a few days in Vancouver before the cruise. It takes me days to acclimatise and I don’t want to be doing that whilst on the cruise.
Old 20 May 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
We’ve done 2 Alaska cruises (plus visited the west coast many times) and the older I get, the more difficult I find adjusting to the time difference ☹️. Last year we flew into Calgary (7 hour difference), and then spent a week in the Canadian Rockies and a few days in Vancouver before the cruise. It takes me days to acclimatise and I don’t want to be doing that whilst on the cruise.
Canadian rockies...that's a good idea!
Old 20 May 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

We took a week long land tour through parts of Alaska with Princess Cruises before our cruise. Gave us time to acclimatise and we saw the Northern Lights! Bonus!
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by June8th View Post
We took a week long land tour through parts of Alaska with Princess Cruises before our cruise. Gave us time to acclimatise and we saw the Northern Lights! Bonus!
What time of year was that if you don't mind me asking?
Old 20 May 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
5th September, one week on land then the last cruise heading south ending in Vancouver.
We saw the Northern Lights in Fairbanks.
They ask when you check in if you would like to be woken if the lights show. So at 3.30am we were woken to a lovely display!
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Originally Posted by June8th View Post
5th September, one week on land then the last cruise heading south ending in Vancouver.
We saw the Northern Lights in Fairbanks.
They ask when you check in if you would like to be woken if the lights show. So at 3.30am we were woken to a lovely display!
I would be more than happy to be woken up at 330am if the lights showed...not sure about DW though

Thanks for that

Edited at 10:57 AM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

In 2014 we flew into Seattle three days before our Holland America Alaska cruise - to see the lovely city and get used to the time difference before the cruise. The cruise was a 14 day day round trip and got to some of the more out of the way places.
After the cruise we rented a car and did an 8 day road trip to the Olympic NP, down the Washington and Oregon Pacific coast and then back up through the Cascade Mountains (Mt Hood, Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier) and a detour along the Columbia river valley. It was an amazing trip and the scenery/wildlife was spectacular.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We did a cruise tour with HAL last year.

Flew to LHR, stayed overnight. VA LHR to Seattle non-stop. Tiring, seats hard, food rubbish (even the cabin staff agreed). At this point the package started. Overnight at Seattle airport hotel.

Flight Seattle to Anchorage where we stayed overnight. Next day train journey to Denali NP. Next day coach journey around the park. Next day coach to Seward to ship.

So a very busy few days. I was ready for bed by 7pm each evening but then realised this was caused by jet lag.

The journey home was long! We cannot sleep on planes. DH did not want to stay overnight at LHR. He just wanted to get home. So we had a 5 hour wait for the plane LHR to MAN. It was about 24 hours door to door and oh boy were we tired! And remained tired for nearly 3 weeks. With hindsight we should not have gone. DH will not go away for more than 14 nights otherwise we could have planned it differently, perhaps.

The trip was our golden wedding anniversary present to ourselves.

Edited at 09:58 AM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

A very big "Thank you" to everyone who has replied so far.

So my next question is..if you had to pick one highlight from your Alaskan trip what would it be?

On this occasion only one