Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 May 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Hoaplaong50
New Poster (3)

Bulging disc

Hi.

I've suffered with bulging discs since I was 15 and I'm now 48! Whilst I am on the Dibb almost every day I haven't posted for along time but feel I need to re your back. The one thing that really helps is a nerve suppressant - pregabalin or gabapentin. Doctors don't want to give them as they are expensive but they really work. Also amitryptiline for night time -this will help you sleep. You will need to ask for them - they probably won't offer them.
I've had surgery and two caudal epidurals. The last treatment was facet joint injections which, touch wood, have left me symptom free for nearly six years. Keep pushing for medication and referrals. They will not willingly offer them as back pain is so hard to diagnose.
Keep pushing and keep us updated.
x
Hoaplaong50 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Waiting for the doctor to call back
Pains off the chart and I seem
To be having an allergic reaction to the pain meds
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

I had two bulging discs 2 and half years ago and sciatica going down one leg, I was off work for 6 mths. I had an MRI to diagnose the problem. I attended a chiropractor twice a week and she eventually fixed me. I have to go once a month for maintenance on my back as my spine veers to one side at the base of it. I am attending the chiropractors now as an urgent case as my back stiffened up during lock down when they were closed. I took Ibuprofen 4 times a day for the swelling and Gabapentin for the pain. The doctor will just ply you with pain killers and tell you to go to the Physio. I found the physio did nothing. Unfortunately you cannot get to see a chiropractor on the NHS so my treatment cost a lot of money. I wish you good luck but there probably won't be a quick fix. i would recommend you seeing a good chiropractor though.
Old 26 May 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

I was given gabapentin, codein and a few other pain killers but none helped. It was only after two pain block injections I could start hydrotherapy and physio. It took me nearly 18 months from when it started to be really back to 100%. I was finally referred to the QMC spinal unit and after 10 months I got the help I needed. I should have had surgery in Oct 2019 for a bulging disc but I managed to avoid it as the disc isn't bulging so much now.
Its been hard work especially as it started the day after we got a puppy, he's now 2. Its been a real rollercoaster of emotions. I still remember going to bed as it hurt so much and just sobbing.

Edited at 11:07 AM.
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Please seek help and do not fear going to hospital. I do not wish to alarm you but want to flag to you some symptoms that if they develop really need urgent attention. I do this as my bulging disc developed into Cauda Equina many years ago and its something that, although rare, can happen. Please keep vigilant if you get any of these and be absolutely honest with the doctors. Mine started with sciatic symptoms and progressed.

'it may be hard to diagnose cauda equina syndrome. Symptoms vary and may come on slowly. They also mimic other conditions. If you have any of these symptoms, see your doctor right away:

Severe low back pain
Pain, numbness, or weakness in one or both legs that causes you to stumble or have trouble getting up from a chair
Loss of or altered sensations in your legs, buttocks, inner thighs, backs of your legs, or feet that is severe or gets worse and worse; you may experience this as trouble feeling anything in the areas of your body that would sit in a saddle (called saddle anesthesia)
Recent problem with bladder or bowel function, such as trouble eliminating urine or waste (retention) or trouble holding it (incontinence)
Sexual dysfunction that has come on suddenly'

webmd/back-pain/guid...drome-overview

Please stay safe and I hope that you get some relief soon x
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
Waiting for the doctor to call back
Pains off the chart and I seem
To be having an allergic reaction to the pain meds
How are things today? Did you get any help from your doctor?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
saraj
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Please do not ignore numbness or pins and needles in your legs. That is a real red flag.

I have a bulging disc and know all the warnings.

I would be ringing 111 now. The NHS is quiet and needs to see you.
Agree - red flags for a herniated disc shouldn’t be ignored. Numbness, particularly in saddle area and changes in your bowel and bladder function. Cauda Equina Syndrome is very rare and can be missed - My GP told me he had never ever seen a case until me.
Old 27 May 20, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
saraj
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
Please seek help and do not fear going to hospital. I do not wish to alarm you but want to flag to you some symptoms that if they develop really need urgent attention. I do this as my bulging disc developed into Cauda Equina many years ago and its something that, although rare, can happen. Please keep vigilant if you get any of these and be absolutely honest with the doctors. Mine started with sciatic symptoms and progressed.

'it may be hard to diagnose cauda equina syndrome. Symptoms vary and may come on slowly. They also mimic other conditions. If you have any of these symptoms, see your doctor right away:

Severe low back pain
Pain, numbness, or weakness in one or both legs that causes you to stumble or have trouble getting up from a chair
Loss of or altered sensations in your legs, buttocks, inner thighs, backs of your legs, or feet that is severe or gets worse and worse; you may experience this as trouble feeling anything in the areas of your body that would sit in a saddle (called saddle anesthesia)
Recent problem with bladder or bowel function, such as trouble eliminating urine or waste (retention) or trouble holding it (incontinence)
Sexual dysfunction that has come on suddenly'

webmd/back-pain/guid...drome-overview

Please stay safe and I hope that you get some relief soon x
Very rare indeed - very often missed and misdiagnosed but the red flags shouldn’t be ignored. I had two surgeries following this diagnosis.
Old 27 May 20, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
daves13
Getting Excited

Mobile

I had back pain , the best thing I did was backstroke swimming.
daves13 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
saraj
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Hope you get some relief soon - back pain is horrendous. The best position I find is laying on the floor with my legs up on the sofa - Like an L shape - it gives the disc some space and takes the pressure of the nerves. I’ve slept like that many times over the years 😄