Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 May 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Worst and best family holiday ever?

We were reminiscing about family holidays and one of our favourites was a trip to Yorkshire where it rained solidly every day (in June), one B&B was like fawlty towers, we had very little money to spend and on paper should have been a disaster, but we loved every minute.
In contrast a week in a four star hotel in Rhodes was awful, with food poisoning, cockroaches, a chest infection and non stop mosquito bites being the main highlights!
What were your favourites and disasters?
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Best holiday 2016. Staying offsite at Legacy Park plus a one night stay at Portofino. Everything went well, no dramas. Just a really great holiday.
Worst last year. 12 nights in Newquay. Came home after 10 as it rained so much and we were stuck in a tiny caravan. Would only have been worse had it been a tent!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Worse was Cyprus, Hubby had been there 14 times on various postings/attachments so was really keen to show us the island as he'd enjoyed every minute. However the hotel was awful, our doors didn't lock, no air con ( sorted next morning but even so) food ..could you call it that It was one of our first AI holidays ( and actually to date been our last) but the food combinations put together by other guests was dreadful and really turned my stomach ( admittedly doesn't take much) but as the tables were so close together even if we tried to sit away from others it was impossible as the dining room was very very small with no air con then don't get me going on the sugar on fried bread arghh. The pool areas were a disaster waiting to happen the entertainment.. what entertainment Jack ( the lad) was always late and never did anything ! We ended up eating out most nights/days which cost on top of the expense we'd already paid for food. I would go back but not to that area , Protaras, I'd head to the other side of the island.
Old 25 May 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Oh brilliant! Rain really does the kill the holiday vibe!
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
Worse was Cyprus, Hubby had been there 14 times on various postings/attachments so was really keen to show us the island as he'd enjoyed every minute. However the hotel was awful, our doors didn't lock, no air con ( sorted next morning but even so) food ..could you call it that It was one of our first AI holidays ( and actually to date been our last) but the food combinations put together by other guests was dreadful and really turned my stomach ( admittedly doesn't take much) but as the tables were so close together even if we tried to sit away from others it was impossible as the dining room was very very small with no air con then don't get me going on the sugar on fried bread arghh. The pool areas were a disaster waiting to happen the entertainment.. what entertainment Jack ( the lad) was always late and never did anything ! We ended up eating out most nights/days which cost on top of the expense we'd already paid for food. I would go back but not to that area , Protaras, I'd head to the other side of the island.
Oh no! I'm sure your DH was so disappointed!
Old 25 May 20, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Worst family holiday by far was in Yorkshire when our children were young. Nothing to do with Yorkshire itself (we have been many times) but that year we were in a static caravan listening to the rain thundering down on the roof day after day. The worst part though was my husband took ill and had to see a local doctor but they didn’t really know what was wrong with him and the medication they gave was useless He ended up in hospital for a week after we got home.

Best was when we went up the West coast of Scotland. We had beautiful weather and I remember one day sitting on a deserted beach one of my sons saying it was the best day of his life.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Worst family holiday by far was in Yorkshire when our children were young. Nothing to do with Yorkshire itself (we have been many times) but that year we were in a static caravan listening to the rain thundering down on the roof day after day. The worst part though was my husband took ill and had to see a local doctor but they didn’t really know what was wrong with him and the medication they gave was useless He ended up in hospital for a week after we got home.

Best was when we went up the West coast of Scotland. We had beautiful weather and I remember one day sitting on a deserted beach one of my sons saying it was the best day of his life.
Illness on holiday is just the worst, in Rhodes we got to know the town pharmacy really well as we were there every night and knew all the staff by name!
What a lovely memory in Scotland.
Old 25 May 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Best was a 2 week villa holiday in Corfu, we booked it after one too many sparkling wine and orange juice...woke up during the night wondering what I’d done cos with 4 children it was going to be tight money wise. We loved it, the villa had its own private, tiny beach..we had a minibus and went all over the island, everyone was friendly and the weather was glorious (October)... we still reminisce about it 23 years later...
The worst was a cheap week in Majorca, reviews were fine when we booked but a week before we went they were terrible. My husband doesn’t like making a scene and hates me complaining but it was dire. Our room was like a dark damp cave, (only found out later that there had been recent flooding), door didn’t lock properly and there were reports of theft. The food was cold and basically non existent. The hotel seemed to be miles from the sea. We ate out all the time. We decided to test the all inclusive bit but all the drinks had been watered down (drank all day and stone cold sober). We booked flights and got ourselves home. We were only booked for a week but I couldn’t carry on after 4 days.

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Best was a 2 week villa holiday in Corfu, we booked it after one too many sparkling wine and orange juice...woke up during the night wondering what I’d done cos with 4 children it was going to be tight money wise. We loved it, the villa had its own private, tiny beach..we had a minibus and went all over the island, everyone was friendly and the weather was glorious (October)... we still reminisce about it 23 years later...
The worst was a cheap week in Majorca, reviews were fine when we booked but a week before we went they were terrible. My husband doesn’t like making a scene and hates me complaining but it was dire. Our room was like a dark damp cave, (only found out later that there had been recent flooding), door didn’t lock properly and there were reports of theft. The food was cold and basically non existent. The hotel seemed to be miles from the sea. We ate out all the time. We decided to test the all inclusive bit but all the drinks had been watered down (drank all day and stone cold sober). We booked flights and got ourselves home. We were only booked for a week but I couldn’t carry on after 4 days.
Going home early is a definite sign of a bad one! Thanks for sharing.
Old 25 May 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Best, our first ever ski holiday in Seefeld. DS was about 8yrs old, the town is magical day and night. There were plenty of easy runs to get us going and the mountain restaurants were very good, too good. I must have partaken of too much Gluwein as I tripped in the queue for the ski tow and the people in front went down like dominoes
Worst was a week at Sinah Warren on Hayling Island, think it was a Pontins then, it was like a military camp, children had to eat before adults and then go into a nursery. The activities were dire and unsupervised and the shooting range was run by an ex-military fellow that screeched at my husband for turning up at his teaching hour and having the temerity to be left handed. We lasted three days, home has never been so welcoming.