Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jun 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile BA threaten pilots

BA have informed the pilots union Balpa that unless they reach agreement with the company by July 18 over redundancies, around 1,200, they will make them all redundant and re employ with reduced terms and conditions.

Wonder if that is the reason BA are cancelling flights well into July.
Old 7 Jun 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

At least that's one way of ending the stand off situation & getting things moving
Old 7 Jun 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
BA have informed the pilots union Balpa that unless they reach agreement with the company by July 18 over redundancies, around 1,200, they will make them all redundant and re employ with reduced terms and conditions.

Wonder if that is the reason BA are cancelling flights well into July.
I think what you have written is a bit simplistic, from Head for Points this is the current pilot situation.

British Airways has turned the screw on its pilots over redundancy plans, despite the hopes of their union that a deal could be reached.

BALPA, the pilots union, is generally seen as the grown-up in the room when it comes to dealing with British Airways.

This doesn’t always work, of course – BALPA caved in on its pay demands last year and its proposed strikes fizzled out – but it sees itself as representing a wealthier and better educated group of people than GMB and Unite and acts accordingly.

During the current talks over mass redundancies and pay cuts, BALPA has been talking to British Airways. It is the only union which has accepted invitations by British Airways to consult over how the necessary cuts can be made. This has allowed British Airways to put pressure on GMB and Unite over their unwillingness to join discussions over the fate of cabin crew and ground staff.

I don’t think anyone believed that BALPA would lead British Airways to change its plans, but there was some hope that the restructuring could be done in as painless a way as possible.

A few days ago, BALPA got a shock.

British Airways turns the screw on its pilots over redundancies

British Airways issued a new Section 188 notice to the union. This is the official document which outlines proposed redundancies and starts the legally required 45 day consultation period.

This new Section 188 document had, I believe, two major changes to the original version issued last month:

The number of redundancies has been increased from 955 to 1,080 – plus an additional 175 redundancies which had already been proposed as part of a previous efficiency process

The pilots have now been told that, if agreement between BA and BALPA is not made within 45 days (by 18th July), all pilots may be made redundant and British Airways will decide which pilots will be offered new, inferior, contracts to rejoin

This second element is part of the existing Section 188 letter issued to other parts of British Airways. It was not in the original Section 188 noticed issued to pilots.

The airline is now looking to get rid of 1,255 of its 4,300 pilots.

British Airways turns the screw on its pilots over redundancies

BALPA was under the impression that it was making some progress with British Airways. In a letter, which I have seen, it suggested that:

British Airways was on the verge of agreeing to a voluntary redundancy package for pilots (all other parts of the business will just receive statutory redundancy pay, as will pilots if no agreement is reached)

Agreement was in sight over plans for some pilots to move across to the RAF or to take other roles within the company, with a guarantee that they could return to a flying role after a period

These plans may now be dead in the water. BALPA added that:

“We cannot begin to describe the level of disappointment and annoyance this [new Section 188 letter] has caused.”

In a separate statement, Brian Strutton, General Secretary of BALPA, said:

“This has seriously undermined our talks which now hang by a thread. It calls into question whether BA is even capable of conducting industrial relations properly and whether anything they say can be trusted.”

If the pilots had thought that they were in a position to get a better deal from the airline than other staff, they don’t think that today.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

The mood on pprune has certainly changed with these developments.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
I did read that on HeadforPoints but picked out the bits I thought relevant.

As I wrote I wonder if this is why BA are cancelling flights well into July.

The whole situation is not looking good for all their employees.

Suppose its a case of who blinks first!

Balpa were the only union who were prepared to discuss the situation with BA. Unite and GMB flatly refused to partake in talks. Now it seems none of the unions are prepared to sit down and talk.
Old 7 Jun 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
I did read that on HeadforPoints but picked out the bits I thought relevant.

As I wrote I wonder if this is why BA are cancelling flights well into July.

The whole situation is not looking good for all their employees.

Suppose its a case of who blinks first!

Balpa were the only union who were prepared to discuss the situation with BA. Unite and GMB flatly refused to partake in talks. Now it seems none of the unions are prepared to sit down and talk.
I understood that you had just posted the basic bits but thought for some people that might like the background.

I understand that BALPA are still talking, am I incorrect? Maybe I read it wrong.

I believe BA are encouraging pilot secondment to the RAF and anywhere else for five years with rights protected to return.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

So whilst BA are getting praise for refunding customers their money quickly they are screwing the staff considerably.
Virgin are being slated for not refunding customers quickly but they were up front and clear with how they managed staff wages and worked with them to try to protect jobs.

Not good for anyone in the long haul
Old 7 Jun 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I understood that you had just posted the basic bits but thought for some people that might like the background.

I understand that BALPA are still talking, am I incorrect? Maybe I read it wrong.

I believe BA are encouraging pilot secondment to the RAF and anywhere else for five years with rights protected to return.
Think they are still talking but BAs latest demands are putting them close to breaking down.

Not good for everyone concerned and even more of a worry for those hoping to get away over the summer if talks do cease, especially with the other union's not on board.

Really hope BA sees sense and bends a little but can't see Mr Walsh wanting any compromise. He seems to be after blood!
Old 7 Jun 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Virgin are being slated for not refunding customers quickly but they were up front and clear with how they managed staff wages and worked with them to try to protect jobs.
Virgin are reducing headcount by 1/3 and are still trying to secure investment to survive
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Virgin are reducing headcount by 1/3 and are still trying to secure investment to survive
I know but they worked with staff and unions weeks ago to agree the wage cut. No one expected it to be this bad so they have had to review the situation.