Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Mar 17, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Just looked - a lot of money lol
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Florida is awesome on a Harley, and especially the bike festivals. No helmet law is a big plus for me.

It's not cheap mind, especially if you want a monster with plenty of luggage space.

Road King has been my preference:
harley-davidson/conte...-classic-1.jpg

Screen detachable too
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 17, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Florida is awesome on a Harley, and especially the bike festivals. No helmet law is a big plus for me.

It's not cheap mind, especially if you want a monster with plenty of luggage space.

Road King has been my preference:
harley-davidson/conte...-classic-1.jpg

Screen detachable too
Renting a Harley is one of those things I mean to do every time I go but never quite find the time to squeeze it in. Not sure I would fancy riding without protective gear like a lot of the American's do though... it just takes one idiot cager and you're strawberry jam, even at cruising speeds.
Old 26 Mar 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
Renting a Harley is one of those things I mean to do every time I go but never quite find the time to squeeze it in. Not sure I would fancy riding without protective gear like a lot of the American's do though... it just takes one idiot cager and you're strawberry jam, even at cruising speeds.
You really must do it... the wide open spaces, the weather and incredible scenery.

It feels safer in the US. Bigger roads less traffic for the most part, easier driving all round I feel.

That said I've come closer to death in the US than I have in the UK, even though I've ridden thousands of times more in the UK than the US. Also on those occasions a helmet would likely not have saved me. One such occasion a crazy person was travelling the wrong direction up a one way freeway at very high speed. Combined speed would be in excess of 100mph I reckon. There was no lights and for a brief moment I was using my mirror. I looked up and was able to swerve clear. It felt like I was an inch from the side of his vehicle, and from what my buddy said who was behind, he made absolutely no attempt to swerve away from me Drugged, drunk, I'm guessing, or maybe he just wanted to kill me?!?
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 17, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

You really must do it... the wide open spaces, the weather and incredible scenery.

It feels safer in the US. Bigger roads less traffic for the most part, easier driving all round I feel.

That said I've come closer to death in the US than I have in the UK, even though I've ridden thousands of times more in the UK than the US. Also on those occasions a helmet would likely not have saved me. One such occasion a crazy person was travelling the wrong direction up a one way freeway at very high speed. Combined speed would be in excess of 100mph I reckon. There was no lights and for a brief moment I was using my mirror. I looked up and was able to swerve clear. It felt like I was an inch from the side of his vehicle, and from what my buddy said who was behind, he made absolutely no attempt to swerve away from me Drugged, drunk, I'm guessing, or maybe he just wanted to kill me?!?
All I know is I've had an off at just 40mph and I'm pretty sure I would be dead if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. I would have had some serious scars / injuries or maybe even a physical disability as well if it hadn't been for my other gear. Someone died about 100 yards further along the same road a week later.

I'll never ride without proper kit - no amount of looking cool (or being cool) is worth that risk for me.
Old 26 Mar 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
All I know is I've had an off at just 40mph and I'm pretty sure I would be dead if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. I would have had some serious scars / injuries or maybe even a physical disability as well if it hadn't been for my other gear. Someone died about 100 yards further along the same road a week later.

I'll never ride without proper kit - no amount of looking cool (or being cool) is worth that risk for me.
Not cool or cool ... but rather the pleasure derived from the experience is sufficient to outweigh the risk.

Which is precisely what I think when I step into my car, even though I know it's incredible dangerous to drive my car. I know if I wear a helmet in my car I will be much much safer. A friend of mine died from head injuries in his car, he would have been alive today if he'd worn a helmet.

Same for when I drive at 70mph, much much safer if I drive at 30mph.

Do we think people who don't wear helmets in cars, or drive above 30mph are trying to be cool?

Motivation for people like the late great Fred Hill was about defending libertarian values more than anything else. Although I have to say he looked rather dapper in his beret:
motogoloco/blog/wp-co...l-run-2014.jpg
Old 27 Mar 17, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Not cool or cool ... but rather the pleasure derived from the experience is sufficient to outweigh the risk.

Which is precisely what I think when I step into my car, even though I know it's incredible dangerous to drive my car. I know if I wear a helmet in my car I will be much much safer. A friend of mine died from head injuries in his car, he would have been alive today if he'd worn a helmet.

Same for when I drive at 70mph, much much safer if I drive at 30mph.

Do we think people who don't wear helmets in cars, or drive above 30mph are trying to be cool?

Motivation for people like the late great Fred Hill was about defending libertarian values more than anything else. Although I have to say he looked rather dapper in his beret:
motogoloco/blog/wp-co...l-run-2014.jpg
Being cool (as in not being hot).

As for helmets in cars, that's a straw man argument.

Other people are free to do what they like but I prefer to wear something that helps my brain stay on the inside of my head.