Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Feb 17, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Man down!. Brno city break, Feb 17. Travel day

Thursday 16th February 2017.
A change to the trip report title, the man down due to Matt falling down the stairs 3 weeks before, and not being able to walk for 2 weeks, although he had recovered he was still hobbling and not ready for a city break with lots of walking.
The stuck in the bathroom is because there is something wrong with Brno public toilet doors!
Anyway, back to the travel day.
Debbie was driving and had booked the car park for 11am, she told me she would pick me up at 9.30. I woke at 7.45, showered and made myself and dd scrambled eggs.

Matt had gone back to work and cancelled his holiday, so I took my time getting sorted until I received a text at 9.10 to say Debbie and Steph were on their way! I quickly went to the toilet, grabbed my shoes and case and ran out to them.
The journey to Stansted was fine and we arrived just after 11. We normally book meet and greet, but after a faff the last couple of times we used it, Debbie tried the short stay this time, which was £45. She parked up and it was about a 5 minute walk to the airport. I really liked this and was a lot better than waiting in the meet and greet line, which was busy as we passed.
I had ordered our money from moneycorp which I have used before. I asked for £100 each, and it was £304 for the three of us. As we have a kitty when we go out, Steph kept the money together instead of sharing it out. £5 is about 159 CZK, we must have got about 9700CZK. I didn't really get the hang of exchanging, but that money lasted the whole time we were there, bargain.
We headed through security, which wasn't busy and avoided the body scan.
On the way to weatherspoons, we brought a small bottle of vodka and bacardi, some magazines and papers and a couple of bottles of pepsi, 2 for £3.
We managed to get a seat outside the weatherspoons, Debbie and Steph got a beer, and I got a cider.

We had a sandwich each and some biscuits I had made and brought with me.

Although we left early, time still whizzed by and soon enough our gate number was up.
We poured a homemade drink for the flight, because we are classy like that.

It was less organised then past journeys and as we were near the back we had our cases put in the hold, annoying especially as we had empty spaces above us in the over head compartment.
Also we took off late, but did make up the time.
The flight was fine and took 2 hours.

We were first off the plane and passport control. We didn't have to wait too long for our bags, they were ready by the time we came back from the bathroom.
We asked how much a taxi would be, about 400K so we hopped in that. The bus was waiting outside, but we didn't know where we were going and it was getting late. We did get the bus back and it was really easy.
It took about 20 minutes, the driver spoke a little English and gave us a map and we were soon pulling up to the hotel.
I had choose the hotel, it had very good reviews and was £60 per person. I had also changed our booking from 2 doubles to a triple with no trouble.
Check in was a little slow, but the wi fi code was displayed and we logged in easily, the wi fi was perfect.
Our room was lovely, really big and the beds were so comfortable.

The only problem was the plug sockets, they were well hidden and at ground level. In the end, I spotted one under the desk and behind the bed, so at least we could get charged up. I was the only person that had brought adaptors, so we only needed 2 sockets, and shared chargers.
We quickly unpacked, and left before we could get too comfortable on the beds.
The hotel reviews sad the hotel was central, and they were spot on, it was the perfect position for the main square.
We had a wander and came across a terrace bar so started there for a drink. Steph had a beer, Debbie and I had a vodka and diet coke.

Total was 210K. We made the mistake of ordering a diet coke each, as they came in bottles, the rest of the time we shared one.
I went on the smoking terrace with Steph to take a couple of photos.

It would be lovely sitting there in the summer.
Drinks finished, we then went to the supermarket to get some blackcurrant to add to our beers as we couldn't see any in the bars.
We also got a bottle of wine, lemonade and soda water for the room.
Total 190K.
Then it was a walk around the square looking and finding a bar.
Dont know why this building had bugs on the side.

We came across a bar, called Vicer na Stojaka, unknown to us at the time, the number one bar on trip advisor. It was standing only, and when we asked for vodka and diet coke, we were told vodka was only served neat or with water.
Steph had gone to the bathroom, leaving Debbie and I at the bar, so we ordered a beer for Steph and I. We were asked what beer, so just said a light one. Then Debbie asked if they serve wine, and they did, so she had that.
Total, 75K for the beers and 60K for the wine.
the bar

We went to stand at a table, and I added lemonade to my beer.

By now some time had passed, and Steph wasnt back, we did say she was taking a while, but thought she must have an upset tummy.
Well, while we were standing there, a man came by with some tools and went to the toilet. Debbie commented that maybe she was stuck, and when he was trying to get the door open, we were in hysterics!
Poor Steph was waiting for us to look for her, but she got a Czech girl instead, and had to try and tell her she was stuck.
Debbie went to investigate, and sure enough Steph had been locked in!

Debbie went to talk to her, but was still laughing and the bartender had to go back and forth a couple of times before he could get the door open.
She was definitely ready for her beer when she got out.
It was getting late, and we were pretty tired so decided to go back to the room with a take out and our drinks. There was a kebab place near the hotel, so popped in there and headed back.
Steph and Debbie had a chicken wrap, and I had a slice of pizza.

I had a look on trip advisor to find some bars and things to do the following days.
I think we were all more impressed with Brno, than we expected to be.

Edited at 12:57 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fun day! I hope Steph wasn't traumatized by being locked in the loo - my own personal nightmare

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a fun day! I hope Steph wasn't traumatized by being locked in the loo - my own personal nightmare
She said she kept thinking we would start looking for her, I told her she should have taken her phone out and not rely on us.
The bar tender told her not to move.
Its my turn to get stuck in a different bar tomorrow, which she found more amusing.

Edited at 10:30 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 17, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

So funny getting locked in the toilet
Looking forward to reading more
Old 2 Mar 17, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
So funny getting locked in the toilet
Looking forward to reading more
Debbie and I thought so, more so when Steph got out, and told us how she tried to explain she was locked in.