Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 24 Mar 17, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 20

Lunch, Casey's Corner (Main Street, U.S.A.)

See this lovely picture?

Well, Casey’s looked *pretty much* the opposite of that. WOW! was it busy…R.C. couldn’t cope with the queues and the noise - he (and Poot) disappeared to find a table after telling me, “Just get me something that I’ll like.”

OK, then…

I got to break out my rusty Spanish again in Casey’s - a very dignified Nicaraguan was finding it all a bit too much. When we finally figured out what had happened to his food (it had been given to “somebody else Mexican “) - he was very grateful, and even called me “Doña” (I’m old enough to be a doña, sigh).

It was satisfying to use my Spanish for good rather than evil (remember those Argentinians back at the Halloween party? ).

I ordered two:

Corn Dog Nuggets Meals - served with French fries or apple slices $7.99

I LOVE these corn dog nuggets, they are one of my absolute favourite Disney junk foods. We had one serving of fries, one of apple slices - and shared everything out between us. R.C. sat for a moment, looking baffled - but Poot realised the problem before I did - and ran to get Dad some cutlery.

Poor R.C., his father used to give him a clip ‘round the ear and say, “Are you Henry VIII, boy?” if he caught him eating with his fingers.

So even now (MANY years later) he has to have silverware for everything.

Yes. Even pizza. That’s why I didn’t get him a hot dog.

We used 2 QS credits for lunch, but that corn dog nugget meal would be a good deal out of pocket. Two of the meals EASILY fed the three of us. If your family is content to drink water, that’s a (delicious) theme park lunch for three for under $17.

For drinks, R.C. had Sprite, I had Diet Coke. Poot, of course, had tap water.

Our QS meals last year came with dessert, and we opted for one cotton candy ($4.39 OOP) and one Cracker Jack ($2.59 OOP). This was Poot’s first time trying both of these - and he really enjoyed them (though the prizes that come with the Cracker Jack now are rubbish, aren’t they?).

Tiny scientist that he is, when Poot saw the way water reacted with the candy floss, he arranged some on our empty nugget basket - and proceeded to make several “nebulae” (until his mother *encouraged* him to stop).

While we waited for R.C. to finish the Cracker Jack, I noticed a couple walking through the restaurant wearing a PinQuest lanyard and (matching) pins.

I really wanted to know if they thought the Quest was worth the money (they said “no”). We ended up talking pins for a goodly while. They were a retired (American) couple, and had sold their house to live permanently in their RV. They have APs and spend a couple months every year in Orlando, dipping in and out of the parks. I still can’t decide if I’m jealous, or not...either way, they were very friendly people and before they left us Poot was the happy recipient of YET ANOTHER pin.

He tried to trade the gentleman one of his - but the man said they had THOUSANDS of pins in their RV, and that he tries to give away a few pins to kids every day. How lovely!

Has anybody out there done PinQuest? - I LOVE the look of those pins...they’re sort of “Industrial Disney”...

Dinner, The Pinocchio Village Haus (Fantasyland)

Poot LOVES Pinocchio’s - we decided on that for dinner. The men went to grab a table, while I got in the order queue. I was in that line for a LONG time. And eventually Poot came looking for me - they thought I’d somehow gotten lost trying to find them.

I was lucky that Poot came up to find me - I needed his help to carry all the food back! He led me to one of the tables that overlooks the Small World boat “launch”.

I love this view - it’s probably my favourite QS restaurant view in MK.

I’m hopeful about the new joints over in Animal Kingdom - I hope at night you can see the glowing plants! I'm not so sure about the food I've read about so far (kale and quinoa! yum?) - but excited for the views.

We had SO many QS credits left that I got us three meals (Stupid! - there was a lot of waste ). But I didn’t want pasta or pesto…

I went for:

Chicken Parmesan Sandwich - served with Caesar salad or french fries $11.49

This was decent. The place was so busy that nothing was sitting under heat lamps - everything was fresh and hot. I appreciate that there are a couple of non-burger QS choices at Magic Kingdom - and while I don’t think I’d get this again - I’m glad I tried it.

Our sorcerer chose:

Caprese Flatbread (with apple slices) $10.49

Poot picked the winner. We had this tasty little pizza a couple of years ago, and it was just as good this time - but it definitely feeds two - he couldn’t finish it.

R.C. wanted his chicken parm over pasta. He opted for:

Chicken Parmesan - with pasta and side Caesar salad $12.49

His verdict: “This is not as nice as that pasta the other day. No.”

If you’re reading this, loves2plan, I know what you think about Disney’s Caesars (“just iceberg lettuce drowned in dressing”) - but this one was ROMAINE lettuce (drowned in dressing ).

And R.C. had asked for yogurt with his dinner (as you can see above). I *think* that he thought this would be FROZEN yogurt, or something like that, because when he tasted it he was disappointed that it “tasted like breakfast”.

Breakfast? Oh, no - we all know that American yogurt tastes like...ectoplasm.

YUK.

I had more sense than hubby, and picked tiramisu gelato ($3.99 OOP) for my dessert. It was fine - nice and creamy, if not particularly “tiramisu-y”. I had a couple of bites and gave the rest to R.C. - he was much cheerier once he had some ice cream.

Poot chose the chocolate cake ($4.29 OOP). This tasted like...Disney cake-pot cake. I will be interested to see if the cake-pot cakes last, now that DDP quick service meals no longer include pudding...because WHO pays out-of-pocket for these?

Anyone?

Ooh, forgot the drinks. We were one tap water (Poot), one orange juice (R.C.) and one Diet Coke (me). I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this already or not - but I’m doing without pop for Lent - and just SEEING a Diet Coke right now sets me to drooling...

Sorry, I digress…

All this "cost us" 3 QS credits.

If you are interested in our non-food activities for today (Golf! Funny Faces!) - then Day 20 in the main trippie is HERE .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I LOVE the corn dog nuggets at Casey's! Marie and I got them one day as a snack between us and decided we should get fries too in case it wasn't enough. They were never ending! Easily did us as a meal never mind a snack.
Interesting thought about the carrot/chocolate cake pots. You're absolutely right about surely no one pays OOP for them? We always seemed to have a collection of the carrot cake ones in the fridge. I'm looking forward to not feeling obliged to choose a dessert with QS meals.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 17, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I LOVE the corn dog nuggets at Casey's! Marie and I got them one day as a snack between us and decided we should get fries too in case it wasn't enough. They were never ending! Easily did us as a meal never mind a snack.
Interesting thought about the carrot/chocolate cake pots. You're absolutely right about surely no one pays OOP for them? We always seemed to have a collection of the carrot cake ones in the fridge. I'm looking forward to not feeling obliged to choose a dessert with QS meals.
I totally agree - I never seemed to be organised enough to remember to switch out those desserts for extra bottles of water, etc...I would much rather have the extra snack credit for a Dole Whip.

Ooh, speaking of Dole Whips - I read somewhere that Disneyland now has Dole Whip-flavoured cotton candy. We'll have to see if that's "a thing" at WDW when we next go...

And those corn dog nuggets - they are the best deal at MK. The meal (as you know) easily feeds two. I only wish they did them at other places besides Casey's. The queues there are SO bonkers.

Thanks for checking in!
Old 27 Mar 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh no here we go again ...i dont know where to start! You are distracting me from roger federer and the miami open which takes a lot 😀 couldnt believe it when i saw you were born in enniskillen , we live in
N.ireland 😀 ...special mention goes to the mysterious pigs 😂😂 seriously, I laughed the first time round with the waitress but this time i really nearly woke the baby no joke ! A lot more but too much to mention...thanks for this 😀
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Oh no here we go again ...i dont know where to start! You are distracting me from roger federer and the miami open which takes a lot 😀 couldnt believe it when i saw you were born in enniskillen , we live in
N.ireland 😀 ...special mention goes to the mysterious pigs 😂😂 seriously, I laughed the first time round with the waitress but this time i really nearly woke the baby no joke ! A lot more but too much to mention...thanks for this 😀

Now we know why our senses of humour are similar! We're probably cousins!

Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments. It's been a long day and I really needed a boost. But Jemima, you MUST remember - it's not just pigs, it's "pigs and stuff"!
Old 28 Mar 17, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Now we know why our senses of humour are similar! We're probably cousins!

Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments. It's been a long day and I really needed a boost. But Jemima, you MUST remember - it's not just pigs, it's "pigs and stuff"!
Pigs and stuff! 😂😂😂😂😂 too much before the school run x
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 21

Breakfast, Wolfgang Puck's (Disney Springs Marketplace)

Since we weren’t going to be hurrying off this morning, R.C. suggested a lazy breakfast to start the day...and he wanted to go back to Wolfgang Puck’s.

We arrived at WP’s around 9:10 - and yet again, the place was DEAD. Behind the counter was the lovely Cuban man from the other day. He remembered Poot and asked him if he would like another pizza this morning.

What do you think?

I’ll let the suspense build…

R.C. picked:

Bacon & Cheddar Omelet - crispy potatoes $13.25

Sorry - you can see the bananas from my breakfast on his plate...

He liked the omelette - the food here at WP’s was much more to his taste than the choices up at Artist’s Palette. The whole “food court” atmosphere put him off - and he much preferred having his food BROUGHT to him - and then eating it from a proper plate with metal cutlery.

I waffled (some things never change…):

Belgian Waffle $10

The waffle was only OK - though I appreciated that the syrup was warm (it also tasted slightly more maple-y than the corn syrup stuff at Artist’s Palette). What it needed, though, was something salty - so I asked if they might do me an order of bacon or sausage (for a snack credit) - but no. They only do bacon as part of a bigger breakfast. I couldn’t even buy an order of “breakfast meat” OOP. I found that strange...

And, yes - it was pizza again for Poot.

Pesto and Goat Cheese Pizza - Roma Tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes $13.50

I can’t imagine eating pesto for breakfast, but Poot gobbled it all up. We shared out his “dessert” (a fresh fruit cup - $4.50 OOP) among us. Unlike at Be Our Guest, this fruit cup had several grapes - not just cheapskate melon.

Stop it Mr. Puck - you're spoiling us!

Drinks-wise, R.C. and I had orange juice - Poot had tap water (and we took a bottle of Dasani to go). Drinks and food all "cost" 3 QS credits - good value, I think.

We left five dollars for our waitress, and walked back to Congress Park.

Snack, Mr. Kamal's (Asia, Animal Kingdom)

We had enjoyed Mr. Kamal’s (if you read my Day 8 post, you may remember that they sell “abnormal” food ) earlier in the holiday, so Poot asked if we could visit again. Sure!

We had the samosas again (still tasty and just a little bit spicy) but this time tried the hummus, too. I got R.C. a Sprite - Poot and I had tap water. I tapped my band and used 1 QS credit for the snacks and pop. The snacks would have been $6 each out-of-pocket (don’t pay $6 for hummus, though - just don’t do it).

The hummus was a little bit grittier than I like it to be (when I make hummus I pass it through a tamis, because I have a thing about SMOOOOTH dips ), but it tasted OK. And look - vegetables!

Dinner, Yak & Yeti (Asia, Animal Kingdom)

Yak & Yeti was BUSY. There were guests milling around outside - and the little reception area was packed. But...if you’ve been reading since Day 3 (when we went to T-Rex), you’ll know we have a Landry’s card. We made our way through the mob and showed the card. Despite the fact that the restaurant wasn’t taking walk-ups, we were seated after about five minutes. Love that Landry’s card.

We had a table on the ground floor - I love looking at all the art/detritus in the restaurant -

- but I couldn’t see much this time as we were tucked in alongside the staircase. Fair enough though, we didn’t have an ADR.

Our waiter (let’s call him...“Happy”) was Hawaiian, and I liked him - but it was pretty obvious that earlier in the day he’d been out with...Mary Jane.

And no, not that one.

Happy was pretty giggly - and more than a bit, um...fragrant.

So I had to keep repeating and explaining things. To be honest, it was funnier than it was frustrating - but Poot was confused.

“Mother, I don’t think he’s a very good waiter.”

“Hmm…”

We only had two table service credits left - so when Poot asked if he could have a starter as his dinner - I said “yes”.

As for me...Sorry, cows! - I was thinking about more beef ( ). I asked Happy if the Kobe burger was good - or if it was just on the menu for picky eaters.

His reply:

“It’s really good. Good. I like burgers and - I like it. It’s not as good as the burgers at Beth’s Burger Bar, though - those are the best burgers in Orlando. I’m going there with some friends this weekend. You should go, too!”

OK, then.

Anybody out there been to Beth’s? Is Happy right?

Well, anyway, after that testimonial I thought I’d BETTER have the burger. Here it is - blurry.

Kobe Beef Burger - 10 oz grilled American Kobe beef burger, sesame-soy sauce, mayonnaise, crispy shoestring fries; topped with choice of shiitake mushroom & scallion compote or Asian slaw $19.99

It was delicious - I picked the mushroom and scallion compote as my topping. Yum-o!

My fries were traded to Poot - but even then I couldn’t finish the burger. Y&Y will do burgers rare (yay!) and that’s how I had mine - it was juicy and lovely and delicious. Definitely one to have again.

Poot ordered these little lovelies:

Pork Pot Stickers - pan seared or steamed, soy lime dipping sauce $9.99

His verdict: “Very good indeed!”

In trade for my fries I had received one of the potstickers - and it was tasty.

I LOVE potstickers - and for a while we were able to buy (pork) potstickers at our local Tesco, but not anymore.

Any Hertfordshire Dibbers out there who can get potstickers at their local supermarket?

R.C. opted for:

Korean Beef - wok-fried beef, peppers, onions, pineapple, Korean BBQ sauce $19.99

He really liked this. I had a teeny taste and it was lovely - the meat was SO tender. The (fried) rice was tasty, too. A little saltier than I would have (personally) preferred - but still nice.

We had two desserts included with the TS credits - R.C. chose:

Fried Wontons - skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle $8.99

He LOVED this (I could tell because he didn’t want to share any of it with either Poot or me!). If we had been at home - that plate would have been licked.

I can remember when R.C. I had dinner at the Dakota (in Minneapolis) years ago - the waiter looked at R.C.’s “finished” plate (which was as clean as it could have been without licking) - and he said, “Sir, I’m going to take this plate back to the kitchen and show it to Chef.”

His pudding plate at Yak and Yeti looked like that.

Having said that, the wontons weren’t for me today (having just eaten a very rich main) - but if I had chosen a salad or something lighter - I think they would have really hit the spot.

One of the dining venues in Avatarland is going to be doing sweet lumpia - they look like a more portable version of this dessert…

I’m still not sure about sweet lumpia, though. SAVOURY lumpia, now that’s another story...

Sorry, I digress.

Poot picked the other “dining plan pudding”, and he went for:

New York Cheesecake - with mango and strawberry coulis, whipped topping $8.49

This was a decent cheesecake - not exceptional, but good. Poot certainly enjoyed it - cheesecake (unsurprisingly) is a favourite of his. I tried one bite (for the purposes of this report, you know) - but I decided the taste wasn’t worth the calories. Poot, of course, doesn’t have to worry about that…

When the boys had ordered their desserts, I ordered some herbal tea for my cough. I loved the teapot - it’s nice when the theming is carried through so well.

Unsurprisingly, the bill was wrong (significantly wrong) - and when I tried to explain WHY it was wrong to poor Happy - well...let’s just say maths was beyond him at that point. I didn’t want to ask for the manager because I didn’t want Happy to get in trouble...so I fixed him with my best I-grew-up-in-the-nightclub-business-I-know-how-to-make-my-point-with-drunks hard stare and said, “Happy, TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. Give me your pencil.”

He got out his pen and I wrote down what we had actually ordered (and the DDP credits we were using) on the back of the mixed-up bill. He looked at the tally, sort of nodded at it - and wandered off. Fingers crossed!

At this point the penny dropped for R.C.

“Darling, is the waiter ON DRUGS?”

I opened my eyes real wide and sent him the “Be Quiet!” look. He did, but not before he mumbled “disgraceful” to himself a couple of times…ah, it must be nice to be perfect.

A man sitting across from us caught my eye, put an imaginary “cigarette” to his lips and laughed...I was feeling a bit nosy, so I tried to look around (surreptitiously) for Happy’s other tables, but the staircase blocked my view...

Back (after a GOODLY while) came the bill - correct this time! We owed more than Happy’s tip today - as we had to pay OOP for Poot’s potstickers. I knew that it was pointless to give the check to R.C., as that would have resulted in a conversation I did NOT want to have in front of Poot - so I got $25 (in cash) out of my holiday wallet, left it for Happy - and hustled R.C. out the door.

We’ll definitely go back to Yak & Yeti. I LOVE that there are (two) Landry’s restaurants at Animal Kingdom. No ADR necessary - just rock up and eat.

I do hope that Y&Y will be staying open late as AK transitions into an open-after-dark-park. That sort of food would be great for late-night dining.

We got back to Saratoga around 8:00 - I asked R.C. to park up near The Springs - as we had LOTS of QS and Snack Credits to use up. I KNOW I should have walked over to Ghirardelli or Goofy’s (both at Disney Springs) to use them, but I was just SO tired by this point - having had just a couple of hours of sleep the night before.

We wandered around the (small) hotel gift shop to use the credits (please don’t judge; I did my best). We got some bags of trail mix -

- red licorice (for Hans, it’s his favourite)

- and a BUNCH of Rice Krispie bars (I got the Christmas ones - I thought DM and Hans could take some back home with them for my nephews and Hans’ granddaughters).

We also got all manner of non-perishable snacks - shortbread and all that good stuff - as well as a few bottles of pop to take with us down to Sanibel.

Sigh, I should have bought MANY more bags of this lovely stuff back at the Contemporary earlier in the trip -it was definitely our best non-perishable snack credit find:

I was annoyed with myself for not doing better with the leftover credits - rather than let them pile up I should have stocked up on non-perishable treats every couple of days. Some Dibbers are SO GOOD about maximising their credits (Hello, loves2plan!) - but not me. Learn from my mistakes!

For those of you who only follow “Disney days” - they are over. Thanks for reading! And do let me know if you have any questions about anything/anywhere we ate, etc...I sometimes get distracted by the “story” and forget the facts and figures…

For those of you who like more than Disney - Sanibel’s up next!
Old 31 Mar 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

That burger looks amazing! I have almost perfected the 'Be Quiet!' stare with my husband ... it's only taken 12 1/2 years ... hoping I won't need to use it too much on our trip.

I love reading your updates so thank you.

Oh and I MUST try that corn it looks so nice! Looking forward to the non Disney installment purely for your writing skills x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

Love this report. Looking forward to the next part
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
That burger looks amazing! I have almost perfected the 'Be Quiet!' stare with my husband ... it's only taken 12 1/2 years ... hoping I won't need to use it too much on our trip.

I love reading your updates so thank you.

Oh and I MUST try that corn it looks so nice! Looking forward to the non Disney installment purely for your writing skills x
It did take a while for him to get it - he used to say "Why are you squinting at me, Darling?"

That caramel corn is gorgeous. Try and grab some if you're at the Contemporary.

And THANK YOU for the lovely compliment. I'm not sure about any "skills" - but I do love commas - and dashes - and ellipses - and emojis.

Originally Posted by lolalolo86 View Post
Love this report. Looking forward to the next part

Why, thank you. The next post will include a truck stop and MY cooking - look out!