Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 21 Feb 17, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
Don't fancy that then! Thanks.
Yes we were in 38 which is the view I described before. On Turtle Pond in my opinion 37 is the prime choice, 36 is good as long as you are not on the roundabout (right, front elevation) side, 32, 33, 34 and 35 are also decent and set back from road : Back onto golf course and not near a bus route or worse the roundabouts. 43 is also a top choice. Watch out for 41 and 42, if you are on the wrong side of those blocks, they are the closest to the main road, but great at the opposite end or middle, which are perhaps prime locations overlooking the pool and away from roads. So those blocks have both some of the best and worst rooms on site strangely.
Like the other poster above, we were originally stuck up in 50 at the top of the resort next to the roundabout which is by far the worst position. So 38 was a big improvement on that when I kicked off and got moved as they had messed up on my requests, but 38 was the only available room on the entire site.
I love OKW, it will be even nicer when all the room refurbishments are finished in 2019. The only issue with the resort for me (I like it's spread out tropical feel and more relaxed remote nature) is that no room request is guaranteed and there are many bad locations, backing onto no views, short distance from main roads or (for me the worst) near one of the many roundabouts or bus stopping points. For those that haven't been it has to be remembered that Disney transport is excellent so there is a near constant stream of noisy busses coming up and down the roads. I'm a light sleeper and being near one of these roundabouts would be murder for me.

Edited at 12:03 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Out of five stays we've had three great rooms but two of them were booked as HH

I've found that checking in as early as possible gives the best chance of getting room requests granted. That's why we usually stay somewhere cheap the first night we fly in. Then check in early the next day.
I'd be interested to know if checking in early really makes a difference. As I understand it, the rooms are all pre allocated and they refuse to switch people, they'll only move you to an unallocated room and only then if you really make a scene. If someone however knows it works differently and getting there early does make a difference that would be useful info as I have not attempted this as I didn't think it made a difference.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I'd be interested to know if checking in early really makes a difference. As I understand it, the rooms are all pre allocated and they refuse to switch people, they'll only move you to an unallocated room and only then if you really make a scene. If someone however knows it works differently and getting there early does make a difference that would be useful info as I have not attempted this as I didn't think it made a difference.
It's always made a difference to us at different Resorts. Early morning check-in means the CM has a choice of moving us around with just a phone call. We also add we don't mind waiting for a better room.
Old 21 Feb 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
It's always made a difference to us at different Resorts. Early morning check-in means the CM has a choice of moving us around with just a phone call. We also add we don't mind waiting for a better room.
I agree Caron. We always seem to end up on the late flight out of Gatwick which means we arrive at SSR circa 7.00pm. No chance then of any room changes as they are allocated.

So much so we are no longer doing SSR on out first night and are staying in Pop or Music and checking into SSR at 8.00am the next day.
Saves 3 x nights worth of points over the year as well. The main reason though is we are bound to be allocated a room by 3.30pm and still have time to haggle.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I agree Caron. We always seem to end up on the late flight out of Gatwick which means we arrive at SSR circa 7.00pm. No chance then of any room changes as they are allocated.

So much so we are no longer doing SSR on out first night and are staying in Pop or Music and checking into SSR at 8.00am the next day.
Saves 3 x nights worth of points over the year as well. The main reason though is we are bound to be allocated a room by 3.30pm and still have time to haggle.
That's exactly what we do. It was because we wanted to save points at first but now it's to have a better chance at our requested room.
Old 21 Feb 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Oh no- I am panicking now as we are staying at OKW and we don't arrive till late at night :-(