Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 10 Feb 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

I will absolutely let you know the outcome when we hear. Since he left school in 2012 he's never seen anyone about his problems. We have no doctors intervention or psychologists reports since his school days. All the info we have has been passed onto them, all the info they had from his previous DLA applications is passed on (so I was told). I was asked if he had a statement of needs report in school (he didn't know) he told the assessor how he got on day to day in school and how much one to one help he had. She asked about him preparing a meal (could he cut up the veg and know when it cooked properly). She asked about his part time job and what he liked doing at home. She made him feel very comfortable which in one way wasn't ideal as he finds it hard to get on with people and know what to say but she did say it might be easy for him to talk to her as she was asking specific questions.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What way does carrers allowance work when you move to PIP? I get careers as my son is on DLA, he's 14 so has another few years before he moves over.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Please do not give up if your PIP application is turned down. Sadly lots are but its not a final no. It is always worth putting a letter in to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration which is also often turned down, then you can appeal the decision.

Citizen Advice have a very good success rate of helping people who should be getting PIP with their claims, mandatory reconsiderations and appeals. Please go to Citizens Advice for help. I work for CAB and we see so many people in tears because their much needed benefits are stopped. PIP forms seem so confusing and seem to be set out to make the claim difficult. It takes a lot of time to fill in the forms etc and can be really challenging for many claimants. Citizen Advice will help from the initial claim right through to appeal if needed.
Good luck, I realise its a very worrying process but there is help available
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread. Someone at my wife's work mentioned to her about the prospect of applying for pip for our daughter.
As some of you will know, she has been in a mental health hospital for 9 months with an eating disorder / anorexia , extreme anxiety and depression. I also feel she has autistic tendencies. She has been out of hospital a month now but goes to daycare twice a week. She is 18 and attends college the other 3 days
No medical people have ever mentioned any benefit help.
Can someone briefly explain what the application process is, how likely she is to get anything , how much and whether it is means tested ?
Thanks for any help
She should be eligible to claim PIP. She needs to have had health problems that impact her life for at least the past three months and it is often given to someone with depression, anxiety etc.
Look up PIP on Citizen Advice website and it will give all details of how to apply, the higher and lower rates of both components and how the whole process works. It is not means tested.
As I have mentioned above, it is a complicated form but Citizen Advice will fill it in and help with the whole process.
I hope your daughter's health improves soon. Good luck
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
What way does carrers allowance work when you move to PIP? I get careers as my son is on DLA, he's 14 so has another few years before he moves over.
As things stand, you should still be able to claim carer's allowance when your son changes to PIP if he gets the daily living component of either rate. I think you would need to notify them of the changeover of your son's DLA to PIP but as you are still giving the same care, you should still get the Carers Allowance
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread. Someone at my wife's work mentioned to her about the prospect of applying for pip for our daughter.
As some of you will know, she has been in a mental health hospital for 9 months with an eating disorder / anorexia , extreme anxiety and depression. I also feel she has autistic tendencies. She has been out of hospital a month now but goes to daycare twice a week. She is 18 and attends college the other 3 days
No medical people have ever mentioned any benefit help.
Can someone briefly explain what the application process is, how likely she is to get anything , how much and whether it is means tested ?
Thanks for any help
Hi buryboy, I think you will find that for your daughter to qualify for pip,on the assessment form the first two points will have a major baring on the outcome, point 1 is, preparing food, which scores a maximum 8 points and point 2, taking nutrition,which scores a maximum of 10 points, you Need a minimum of 9 points to qualify, look up pip assessment form online, this will help, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

You need 8 points not 9 ,but it is worth applying.
Old 11 Feb 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Oops,bondy error,yes,it's 8 points, back to school bondy, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
OnOurWay
Excited about Disney

I am a Support Worker and for the last 18 months, benefit claims seem to have taken over as the main issue I am supporting clients with. Two main points that have been mentioned, that I really want to reiterate are:
1. Always try and get someone to help you complete the forms. You know yourself/child too well and as a result it is easy to miss important information as a lot of the form is about how you/they carry out daily living tasks compared to someone who doesn't have any problems. As humans we adapt to our situation and the way we do things becomes 'normal' for us. Just this week I filled in a form for a woman who came to a drop-in I was doing. In a lot of sections her initial response was that she could manage the task, but on delving deeper, she takes 3-4 times longer to complete the tasks and if she completes the task once, she may not be able to repeat that task again for a couple of days. At the end she kept saying, "I never thought of it like this, I just do what I can, when I can°. So please, please get help from the CAB or someone else who has experience of completing the forms. If there really is no one available, then look at the CAB website as they have a fantastic guide on completing the forms.

2. Never give up, if you are turned down initially, or especially if you are turned down at the Mandatory Reconsideration phase (I have never had a decision overturned at MR), always Appeal (I haven't had a case yet that wasn't successful at Appeal). As long as you have looked at the descriptors and feel that reasonably you should score 8 or more points on either section, go for it. One of my clients scored 0 points after the initial assessment and the same after MR, but we went to appeal and she was awarded the enhaneed rate for both sections with a total of 27 points! Boy can they get it wrong to start with.

I would like to just add one more thing: someone mentioned not having any professional involvement- they do like to use this as a reason for not awarding PIP and ESA. This is often the case with anxiety and depression. I now make a point of saying that in the good old days the person would have had a Care Coordinator from the CMHT and it is not their fault that mental health services are so stretched now that they no longer qualify. I also get them to keep a diary ahead of the Appeal, which we submit to the court the week before. This has often been the only additional information we have had to offer and it has been enough to win the Appeal.

I am sorry that this is a bit of an essay, but I feel really strongly about the fact that so many decisions are wrong initially. Recent statistics for PIP show that only 37% of claims are initially successful, but that around 60% of Appeals are successful. Good luck to everyone who has to apply for this 🖒🖒🖒
OnOurWay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OnOurWay View Post
I am a Support Worker and for the last 18 months, benefit claims seem to have taken over as the main issue I am supporting clients with. Two main points that have been mentioned, that I really want to reiterate are:
1. Always try and get someone to help you complete the forms. You know yourself/child too well and as a result it is easy to miss important information as a lot of the form is about how you/they carry out daily living tasks compared to someone who doesn't have any problems. As humans we adapt to our situation and the way we do things becomes 'normal' for us. Just this week I filled in a form for a woman who came to a drop-in I was doing. In a lot of sections her initial response was that she could manage the task, but on delving deeper, she takes 3-4 times longer to complete the tasks and if she completes the task once, she may not be able to repeat that task again for a couple of days. At the end she kept saying, "I never thought of it like this, I just do what I can, when I can°. So please, please get help from the CAB or someone else who has experience of completing the forms. If there really is no one available, then look at the CAB website as they have a fantastic guide on completing the forms.

2. Never give up, if you are turned down initially, or especially if you are turned down at the Mandatory Reconsideration phase (I have never had a decision overturned at MR), always Appeal (I haven't had a case yet that wasn't successful at Appeal). As long as you have looked at the descriptors and feel that reasonably you should score 8 or more points on either section, go for it. One of my clients scored 0 points after the initial assessment and the same after MR, but we went to appeal and she was awarded the enhaneed rate for both sections with a total of 27 points! Boy can they get it wrong to start with.

I would like to just add one more thing: someone mentioned not having any professional involvement- they do like to use this as a reason for not awarding PIP and ESA. This is often the case with anxiety and depression. I now make a point of saying that in the good old days the person would have had a Care Coordinator from the CMHT and it is not their fault that mental health services are so stretched now that they no longer qualify. I also get them to keep a diary ahead of the Appeal, which we submit to the court the week before. This has often been the only additional information we have had to offer and it has been enough to win the Appeal.

I am sorry that this is a bit of an essay, but I feel really strongly about the fact that so many decisions are wrong initially. Recent statistics for PIP show that only 37% of claims are initially successful, but that around 60% of Appeals are successful. Good luck to everyone who has to apply for this 🖒🖒🖒
Great advice, it is true that many claimants who initially score 0 points, get awarded the claim after appeal, so it really is worth pushing on with the appeal. CAB can also do home visits in some areas, if the claimant cannot get to CAB, and this can be arranged for people suffering from social anxiety etc, not just physical disabilities. But you would need to check as not all CAB's have the resources for this service.

I would suggest everyone needs help with these forms now, as Onourway says, it is easy for the claimant to think they are managing tasks because they compensate for their problems and find ways to cope, but don't realise that they are doing this and not actually doing the task in a safe or comfortable way.