Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 28 Feb 17, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Down's syndrome brother refusing to get on plane - Update

I've just come back from a day trip to Dublin, just to see what my brother would be like. He's mentioned a couple of times that he's scared of flying and I thought this would be a gentle start to help him. He was fine on the trip out but was in tears on the way home. He has Down's syndrome and all the reassuring I gave had little effect on him. Has anyone any experience of this or any advice that I could use to get him over this issue? We go in 10 weeks and I don't want this to be the end of our trip. I thought of maybe asking the doctor for some diazepam but is this too much?

Edited at 02:59 PM. Reason: Update
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Sorry I can't answer your question but maybe you could ask your doctor for advice. I hope you get sorted and have a wonderful holiday.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 17, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Was there a particular reason he was upset or was it fear?
My daughter has autism, luckily she loves flying but suffers terribly with her ears ... we use earplanes and always ask staff for a menthol cup so she can inhale that but she gets anxious when she knows the planes due to land and we have to have everything ready. We did have diazepam for her first time we went on a plane but didn't use it in the end.
What about letting him help you prepare a flight bag or backpack with things he would like to do on the plane that might take his mind off things.
If it's fear I really hope he can overcome it...I'm a nervous passenger myself but won't let my daughter see I am because I don't want to trigger any anxiety in her.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have you contacted your airlines special assistance? They might have some good options to try? Including bulkhead seats, boarding first/ last depending on his choice.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 17, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My dd doesnt have special needs but gets sick everytime we fly, I thought it was air sickness until she stared vomiting in her seat before we even took off. Next time we go I am asking the dr for diazepam to calm her, I think yiu should ask your gp what is best. Xx
Old 1 Mar 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
Sorry I can't answer your question but maybe you could ask your doctor for advice. I hope you get sorted and have a wonderful holiday.
Thanks, I've spoken to the doctor today and there is little advice he can give, we have made an appointment for his social care worker to come and speak to him to try and resolve the issue.

Edited at 07:19 PM. Reason: clickd to fast
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Was there a particular reason he was upset or was it fear?
My daughter has autism, luckily she loves flying but suffers terribly with her ears ... we use earplanes and always ask staff for a menthol cup so she can inhale that but she gets anxious when she knows the planes due to land and we have to have everything ready. We did have diazepam for her first time we went on a plane but didn't use it in the end.
What about letting him help you prepare a flight bag or backpack with things he would like to do on the plane that might take his mind off things.
If it's fear I really hope he can overcome it...I'm a nervous passenger myself but won't let my daughter see I am because I don't want to trigger any anxiety in her.
He has not been on holiday for 20 years as he did get quite worked up on their last trip to Florida and my parents have been scared to take him away again. We have been talking for ages about him coming and it was him that insisted he wanted to come with us, I have been showing him photos and youtube videos for month to try and get him excited about the trip, he's obsessed b super heroes and wrestling so I hoped that this would get him on the plane. I took him last month to Dublin too, just for a couple of hours and he was brilliant then, no sign of any issues. So I thought another quick trip would boost his confidence more but I regret doing it now as its blown up in my face.
Old 1 Mar 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Have you contacted your airlines special assistance? They might have some good options to try? Including bulkhead seats, boarding first/ last depending on his choice.
We are boarding first as my parents and other brother are all wheelchair users. I hope that as we are in the PE, the smaller cabin will not be as intense as the plane we went to Dublin on, we travelled by Ryanair and as you can imagine it was very much of a quick crowded mess getting on and off the plane.
Old 1 Mar 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My dd doesnt have special needs but gets sick everytime we fly, I thought it was air sickness until she stared vomiting in her seat before we even took off. Next time we go I am asking the dr for diazepam to calm her, I think yiu should ask your gp what is best. Xx
My parents have told me today that he took diazepam last time he flew and he had to be carried on the plane as it wiped him out. The rules have changed since then and he wouldn't be allowed to fly like that now. Hopefully we can get a different type of relaxant medication that will allow him to chill out but not make him pass out. Alcohol may work but it may also take him in the other direction and I'm not willing to risk it.
Old 5 Mar 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

I really hope you can work something out. Our son has been saying he won't get on the plane. He is pre-verbal, ASD. I have said if he doesn't get on the plane he can't see Mickey Mouse. Since then the no's when I mention plane have stopped. Have you shown him youtube clips of the plane, or blogs of the travel days? If I hope one of these I'm always pointing it out to my son. I really hope you can work something out and it all goes well for you xx

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List