Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Mar 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

If you had £10k ?

Sooooo I had £10k saved up for a "new" car.

DH had confirmation today he is getting a company car.

I got a letter from my building society - "your interest rate has fallen to 0.45%" and we have other savings.

We have been thinking about DVC for some time and I was wondering if you had £10k what resort would you buy into resale ?

I'm not really fussed which one but would like 5 days to a week onsite - we liked OKW - is this good value ?

I know DVC isn't an investment but I think dvc would be more fun than putting my money under the mattress

Any advice would be welcome
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Yes, if I had the money available I'd buy in to DVC in a heartbeat, but via the resale route, not direct. OKW is usually one of the cheapest to buy and needs fewer points to stay, so you should be able to get a contract easily. Looking at the points chart for OKW, a studio varies from 76 points per week at the cheapest time of year to 152 points for a week at Easter and Christmas. A contract for 108 points would cover a week for the majority of the year.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/dvc...id=7&year=2017

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post

personally, we love OKW, its a great resort, i know it hasnt the QS food place of others, but POR is just down the road if needed

OKW is always a good buy resale, one of the cheapest points wise

So as you liked OKW, its not a bad start, though you can always swap at 7 months, but if you cannot, you have to stay at OKW

now saying that

we purchased at SSR, only due to the fact it was a striped contract ( no points that year or the next year ) so the price was good, we know we would most prob be able to swap to OKW at 7 months, but if we couldnt, then SSR it is, it really is no drama

would i buy DVC now though ? ? No, the exchange rate is horrible, The free dining at resorts mean it would make it very hard for me to buy right now
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
I'm another that wouldn't buy right now, with the exchange rate. We've just sold our OKW contract which we bought re-sale in 2008. We still have our BLT contracts and will look to buy into BCV if/when the exchange rate improves.
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I'd split your £10k up and stick in current accounts where you can earn 3% on it (Nationwide, TSB, Tesco - if that ones still going - they earn 3% up to certain amount).

Not fun, but not good time to buy IMO
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Now isn't the best time to buy because of the exchange rate however, if you really want to go for it then do it! I bought in September at 1.35 and don't regret it at all!

I would look either OKW or SSR, if you go for OKW then look at the extended contract!
Old 4 Mar 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We did exactly that. But the exchange rate was very good at the time and we bought resale so I feel we got a good deal.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 17, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I also would not buy right now due to the poor exchange rate.

I likely would not buy at OKW either because it's pretty easy to get into at seven months and it has a short life remaining (unless you buy an extended contract). SSR has more years left but is even easier to get into at seven months.

I'd buy at an Epcot resort (albeit not maximum years left) or another which is harder to get into at seven months (but I still would not buy right now, and I would definitely buy resale).
Old 4 Mar 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Wait 12 months and buy into Wilderness on the new contracts. Some people will overstretch themselves and be dumping new contracts by then. Sounds hard but life is tough!
That way you get a fantastic resort at a decent price.
Otherwise BLT all day long.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 17, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Exchange rate isn't good... but If you were planning to go anyway this/ next year and pay cash, then you lose out on any potential gain by spending 'dead money' on a cash reservation (and I mean potential , it could be 5 or more years before exchange rate goes up). Also we may see prices rising in UK for cash reservations, due to poor exchange rate. Also if you want to rent any points (lucrative) the exchange rate means you get more. Finally, resale prices are at a 2-3 year low now (or have been) sparking Disney to go on a buy back ROFR frenzy. Prices are expected to climb, which could cancel out any exchange rate increases.
SSR is the best bang for the buck: buy in price, contract length, annual dues. The bad news is Disney are buying back a lot of SSR contracts now, and the price will be going up soon.

Edited at 01:11 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List