Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 4 Jan 08, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Part 20

Our last meal that evening was Feast of nations, and it was very good too. I had the Fired Roasted Red Pepper Hummus which was delicious, followed by Grilled NY Strip Steak with Béarnaise sauce, which although was good, was not nearly as good as the steaks I had in both Chops and Portofinos.

For desert I couldn’t decide between Key Lime Pie or Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait, so both were brought out. This was not good as they were both delicious and I ended up eating both!

I have to say it was getting rather sad saying goodbye to our waiting staff as we had got quite close over the week.

Our waiter, Ajith, even walked us all out of the DR at the end, but I think that may have just to see my nan’s motorized buggy outside. LOL

As we were going to be up very early the next day (meeting in Pharoh’s lounge at 6.50am for post cruise tour), we went for one last drink in the Champagne bar (love those Baily’s butterball’s), and a quick walk around deck. It was very sad. We did not want to be leaving.

carolynn38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 08, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Part 21

It was hard getting up the next morning at 5.30, but it had to be done. We were already docked by then, we saw a few ships passing us to turn as we got ready, including a Carnival and NCL.

Off then to breakfast which was a very somber affair, especially as I find it hard to eat at that time of the morning. Oh well, I wasn’t going to waste away after what I had eaten all week!

We met in the Pharaohs lounge at 6.50am, where we were given a sticker, and told we could leave the ship. We had decided to sign up for the Everglades tour which would drop us off at the airport afterwards.

Really, it wasn’t necessary for all 10 crew members to man-handle me off – 5 could easily have prised my hands from the railings!

Anyway, off we got and then we had to wait till 7.45am for the luggage to appear. Now I can understand why they want us all off ASAP, but it would have been nice for the luggage to have come a bit sooner, since we had docked at 5am. One little gripe I suppose, but it was early and we had a long long day ahead.

Once the luggage was finally reclaimed we met our tour guide for the morning out front with the coaches. There was another family with us from Bolton who we had met earlier on the cruise in the hot tub (!) who were also doing this tour, and on our flight(s) home, so we said good morning. Hi guys if you are reading this – hope you made it back OK.

We then headed out to the Everglades. Once there, we had a 20 minute trip in an airboat which was excellent, and we saw quite a bit of wildlife.

We then watched a bit of alligator wrestling in a 15min show which was great fun, although I’m not too sure how much fun it was for the alligator!

We then had our own pictures taken with a (much smaller) alligator. They were so soft!

Before we knew it, we were headed back to the airport. We got dropped off at about 11.30am, but our flight wasn’t till 5pm. Luckily we had checked in online onboard the night before. I have to say, the internet was very slow, and it took us 30mins and $25 just to do this, but it was worth it as we had got extra legroom seats on both legs of the journey.

Unfortunately, check in didn’t open till 1.40pm, so we had to wait as we had no-where to put our bags till then. It passed soon enough, and it was nice to catch up with others that had been on our same flight outward bound, but on other cruises, to compare experiences.

The flights home were pretty uneventful, and unfortunately no upgrade this time – damn shame. I have to say I did prefer the extra legroom though. We did try and get some sleep after our long day, and although Tony managed to sleep quite a bit, the turbulence was really bad and it kept waking me.

So that is now us home. I have to say even though we thought the cruise would be good, it exceeded all our expectations, and we have traveled a fair bit between us.

I thought it would feel very overcrowded, with too many children as it was holiday week, but to be honest, I was surprised how quiet it felt.

We were very lucky and received exemplary service wherever we went, but I do know from talking with others on the same cruise this was not always the case.

The crew could not do enough for you, and we made some great friends (crew and passengers) we hope to see on future cruises sometime.

The food ranged from good to fantastic, and apart from the DR breakfasts being a little on the cold side, we had nothing to complain about there.

We thought the drinks prices very reasonable, but we are from the UK and the exchange rate is particularly good at the moment.

Only real gripes was the laundry service, and maybe Portofino’s experience, but overall we thought it was great.

It would be nicer to see cheaper and faster internet, but you are at sea, and I did think the pictures quite expensive. It would be nice to see them all available digitally (some were and had to be ordered, some just printed automatically), and maybe a CD could have been bought of them all, but I can understand this is where RCI make a LOT of money, and it is nice to see everyone else’s pics. LOL
carolynn38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 08, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Wow fab ship and SO like the Mariner.
We loved Chops, too had our last night Dinner there, didnt try Portofinos, too fancy for the boys.
Our cabin was just like yours but with an armchair instead of a settee and a door connecting to the boys cabin.
We were in the shopping centre that you went to in Jamaica back in 2000! fab bargains.

Its my dream to cruise at Christmas.
Old 4 Jan 08, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

What a fab trippie and such lovely photos, thanks for sharing.
Brings back all my memories of our cruise's and all that food!

Jean
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 08, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I thought I was having another senior moment but then realised I had read some of this on Cruise Critic earlier today! Great report - we're off on Navigator to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios in March so have been reading your reports with great interest.

Thanks for sharing - fabulous pictures too.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 08, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
I seem to have read this somewhere else i didnt realise you were a dibber

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 08, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

I think we all do the rounds LOL! Cruise critic, Uk Scrappers and the Dibb!
Jean
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 08, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Originally Posted by liverpool lou View Post
I think we all do the rounds LOL! Cruise critic, Uk Scrappers and the Dibb!
Jean
Too true

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 08, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
what a great trip loved all the photographs shirley
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 08, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Ste
Imagineer

Ste's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
WOOOOOOOW!

We need a picture of your ring me thinks!