Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Aug 08, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 1 Castaway Cay

We wakened to find that we had already docked at Castaway Cay. So much for my romantic notion of standing up on deck, camera in hand, watching our approach! We were all just SO tired.
Anyway, our room is on the dock side of the ship, so our view of CC is not the idyllic one. This is something to bear in mind when booking a stateroom in the future. If only Captain John hadn't reverse-parked!
We have a delicious breakfast at Parrot Cay, gather our stuff, and head off the ship. The heat just hits us and the girls begin to wilt before our eyes.
First stop is the Post Office as I want to send myself a postcard with the CC postmark on it. BUT...the PO doesn't sell postcards, only stamps. DD13 then says that there were PC's in the room...now she tells me! So I need to find a shop to get a PC. No worries mon!.
Daisy Duck appears at the PO, shortly followed by Chip & Dale.

As DH and DD13 are booked on the parasailing at 11am, we find out where Marge's Barges is located and then head down to the Tram Stop, for this photo opportunity.

It's at this point that I recognise one of my buddies from my cruise meet thread on a.n.other forum. We greet each other like long lost pals, me from Scotland and her from Michigan. It's good to meet after chatting online for months. (Did mention that I'd met another buddy at the Terminal while checking in? She was from Nebraska)
We all hop on the tram and head for the family beach.
(I am going to do this thread in chunks as I keep losing my connection so keep reading down please!)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 08, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post

While sitting on the tram, I remember having read a post about missing something if you take the tram... more like someone

He's only here from 9.45 untill 10.15 and its a great location for photos, with the Flying Dutchman in the background.
We get off the tram and wander past the shops(mental note to come back!) to the family beach. We try to find ourselves some shade(ha!) and get out the high factor sun block. DH says I'd be better off with a boiler suit and a balaclava. We soon realise that we are sitting back to back with the DJ's gazebo and so its not long before the reggae music is playing and we are all chillin'...in 104 degrees.

We find out that the parasailing, and just about everything else, is cancelled, due to high winds so the girls and DH head off for a bit of snorkling. I wander off with my camera to take the typical shots.
I'd been looking forward to taking for these for months.

Old 6 Aug 08, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

gorgeous pics
Old 6 Aug 08, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post

why thank you missl!
There's lots more to come so keep reading!
Old 6 Aug 08, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

Fantastic as we will be there in 2 weeks. Sorry to hear about the parasailing. Me and dd have it booked so will keep everything crossed.Youve really got me buzzing now.
sparrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 08, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi will ba at Castaway Cay in about 4 weeks
can t wait as we have a double dip there
B
Old 6 Aug 08, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Your pic's are great
Old 6 Aug 08, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post

I arrive back to base to find DD13 making DD9 into a mermaid. A kind lady next to us, hands them some shells to decorate her tail!
The girls find a wee hermit crab,
do a bit more snorkling
and then... an ominous looking sky develops...

The announcement comes to clear the beach and loads of folk start heading back to the ship.They're the sensible ones. Us hardy Scots, are used to a wee bit rain, so decide to tough it out in the cabanas beside Cookie's BBQ. We are not really hungry since we had such a fab breakfast, but we manage to squeeze in a little something to nibble on to pass the time. I'm right next to the ice-cream machine so I'm in heaven. A very, very WET heaven! The rain is driving sideways into the cabana and we've never heard thunder like it. Not even in Orlando!
We stick it out until there's a hint of it easing, and then follow the crowds , sloshing back to the ship.The staff are handing out towels as we board.

Not much you can do when it shows no signs of letting up. No parasailing, no leisurely BBQ lunch, no shopping and no postcards for the CC post office.Not quite what had imagined.
Ah well! The day started off dry... and there's always next time. Suddenly I'm glad it's a "double dip" to Castaway Cay!
Old 6 Aug 08, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Back onboard, there is an additional Navigator in our Fish Extender telling us of all the addtional activities that have put on to make up for the bad weather. Good old Disney!

We shower and change and DH and the girls head off to see Prince Caspian, the new Narnia movie. I decide to go to the DVC Members gathering, as I'd noticed DVC goodie bags on some folks doors but not on ours.
The onboard guide presents me with 4 DVC baseball hats as I enter the gathering. The meet is all very friendly and theres prizes to be won. Sadly, I leave empty handed...well except for my 4 hats!

Before we know it, its time for dinner, so we all change yet again.
It's our turn for Parrot Cay tonight so DH dons his loud Hawaiian shirt.
Both Witt and Elizabeth, our brillant servers, are in pirate gear and we all don our bandanas to join in the fun. We have brought pirate gear for the party but didn't wear it to dinner. The menu is rolled up like a scroll and tied with string. DD13 and I sneak a couple home for our scrapbooks.
Tonight, all the servers get the children up from their seats and parade around the room, ending in a limbo. DD13 is the one in the black & white stripy t-shirt,Elizabeth our server, has the pigtails and DD9 is on her other side, with her Minnie Mouse ears just visible. They had a ball!

Later, DH and I go up to Deck 10 to watch the sunset. Initially,
theres still some dampness in the air and a rainbow forms.

We ask a lady nearby to take a photo of us.

And finally the sun goes down...and its time to party!

Edited at 06:08 PM.
Old 6 Aug 08, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post

great photos thanks xx