Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 16 Sep 05, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post

The Vegetarian and the Carnivore! Part Five – Chefs de France, Café D’Antonio

Chefs de France - Dinner

We usually have lunch at Chefs de France, but as they were having Extra Magic Hours at EPCOT this evening, we thought we’d watch the wonderful Reflections of Earth and then give dinner a go.

Paul went with the Vegetable Lasagne, which he thought it was slightly above average, and I had the Fillet Steak with Gratin Dauphinois and Green Beans which sadly turned out to be slightly less than average.

I don’t know what it is about the steak I’ve had at Chefs de France - it’s never been that tender or tasty. I may just have been unfortunate, but I’m not going to order steak from here again!
I’d asked for my steak to be cooked medium, but it was very rare and bloody in the centre. It wouldn’t have been worth sending it back to be re-cooked though; as it was so tasteless I’d lost interest in it by the time I got to the middle. The black peppercorn sauce on the other hand was excellent.
I have to admit that I find it hard to resist any kind of potato gratin. This one was rich, creamy, cheesy and no doubt highly calorific! I could have eaten twice as much as I had on my plate. Definitely on my list of top ten comfort foods. The beans were just right. Not overcooked, but not squeaky either.
The Vegetable Lasagne was full of smoky grilled aubergines, courgettes and tomatoes. It was very cheesy too (in a good way). He also had a side order of French Fries.

As much as we love eating at here at lunch time, I’m not sure we’d hurry back for dinner at Chefs de France. The atmosphere seemed rather too chaotic for us, and we found it to be much louder than it is earlier in the day.
The wait staff, (although still very efficient, friendly and polite) seemed very tired and a bit frazzled. I think this had a lot to do with the fact that it was an EMH evening and they were much busier than they’d expected to be at 9.30pm.
In future we’ll stick to the more relaxed, café style lunches we’ve previously enjoyed here.

Café D’Antonio at Celebration - Lunch

After years of intention, we finally made a visit to the town of Celebration.
We enjoyed browsing in the little shops and wandering along the lakeside. (Of course we made sure we spent some time in the rocking chairs too! )
We thought it had quite a Mediterranean feel, so the obvious choice for lunch was to dine on the sunny terrace of the Italian Café D’Antonio.

We were hospitably welcomed and led though the dark-wood panelled dining room, past the open kitchen and the aromatic wood burning oven and out onto the patio area.
We immediately warmed to our jovial server who was more than patient as I dithered over the menu. I just didn’t know what I was in the mood to eat today.
We eventually both decided to have one of the specials of the day.
The herby bread was fresh, warm and plentiful, and I couldn’t help but notice that the wine was a bit cheaper here. That meant two glasses of nicely chilled Pinot Grigio for me today. Any excuse eh!

Paul had ravioli stuffed with grilled aubergine, mozzarella and parmesan, which was a heartier pasta dish than he’d eaten of late. More rustic and ‘home made’ if you know what I mean. Cue clean plate from a satisfied Paul!

I had chicken breast with gorgonzola, white wine and cream sauce. Mine too was simply cooked and homey. Another of those comfort food moments!
No room for dessert, typically, but they sure looked good. I was almost tempted – especially by the tiramisu.

We enjoyed our laid back lunch here and I’m sure we’ll come back again. There’s also the added attraction that Italian food always means plenty of vegetarian choices on the menu for Paul.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 05, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Oh yum yum Sue. The ravioli looks delicious as does the potato gratin. Thanks for sharing.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 05, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks Sue, excelent photos and great report style.

Bob
Old 16 Sep 05, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Pictures are making me hungry
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 05, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks for the report Sue yum yum

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 05, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Thankyou Sue, your reports always make my mouth water. Not sure all that drooling is very good for the keyboard!
Old 17 Sep 05, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lthewliss
Imagineer

lthewliss's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oooh, think we'll add Cafe d'Antonio to our list for next year! Sounds lovely!
Old 18 Sep 05, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Another great report but I must stop reading them before breakfast

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 05, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely piccies and a fantastic report.
Old 20 Oct 05, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Thanks Sue, great reports and piccies
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List