Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Mar 16, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

best high end and best lunch at Universal

Evening all... I am staying at Portofino whilst at universal for one night - I want a nice meal in the evening and then cheaper lunch both days - I keep reading that the food in the parks at universal is pretty minging so my thoughts are... lunch the Panda place that does chinese, (although daughter not a massive fan), Mythos for lunch possibly? Day 2 maybe hard rock cafe for lunch as I have a voucher then thinking Buppa Gump for tea or one of the Italian restaurants in the hotel... any thoughts on eating at Universal and the hotels?
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 16, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mythos is a definite for Lunch. Always had a good lunch there and it's won awards.
I personally, don't like Bubba Gumps! Too much Batter going on, there. I find it too heavy.
Citywalk has new restaurants now so I can't pass comment on them.

Hard Rock is very noisy but reasonably tasty food. Bit overpriced IMO.
Panda Express is fast food but I actually like it. The Orange Chicken is very, very nice and good value for money.

The only Hotel restaurant I've eaten at was in Royal Pacific Hotel which I found very nice.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 16, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

NBC Brew and Grill on Citywalk was brill. Food was great, service was spot on and atmosphere is laid back.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 16, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
The high end restaurant at Portofino Bay is Bice. We had a bad experience there personally (we found the pasta thick and tasteless, and the sauces gloopy bland wallpaper paste). We also found it incredibly noisy and the service was rather bizarre. However, other people have had great meals there - I have seen a review from Hannikins, who loved it.

We didn't get a chance to try Mamma Della's there, as it was relocated for refurb. However, we would like to try it next time. There are live singers who come to your table.

There is also a free 'Musica della Notte' show in the evenings outside - very nice to sit with a drink, watching the boats bob on the lagoon and listening to music.

In Royal Pacific Resort there is the jaw-droppingly beautiful Tchoup Chop, which we had a nice lunch at but would love to try dinner. You can find the menu online and it looks incredible.

The owner of Tchoup Chop is celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse, who also owns Emeril's at CityWalk - another high end place where we celebrated our 15th anniversary.

These are probably the three poshest restaurants but there are lots of more budget-friendly options around too. We haven't eaten anywhere else on CityWalk or in the resorts (except for a lovely pizza at Sal's Deli in PBR). But we had a great lunch in Mythos, and also a good evening meal at Lombard's Seafood Grille where we did the Cinematic Spectacular dining package.

Yes, there is a lot of burger/pizza/hot dog etc food in the parks, but it's not all like that. Just depends what you want to eat.

I will say, however, that the two Harry Potter themed restaurants are probably more worth exploring for their theming than the food. It wasn't bad - but it wasn't great either.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 16, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

We have eaten at Fire Eaters Grill in IOA - this was nice and different options on the menu. On Citywalk we ate at Bubba Gumps which had great theming and the good wasn't bad and Cowfish which we loved - really laid back but very good quality food.
Old 27 Mar 16, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
NBC Brew and Grill on Citywalk was brill. Food was great, service was spot on and atmosphere is laid back.
That is good to hear. We went to the soft opening... let's just say it's a good job they had a soft opening as people were walking out

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 16, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I think the food at Universal has come a long way since being "mingling". City Walk has a great range of food from amazing hotdogs to Emril's.

The stuff in the parks is standard, we like Finnigans, Mythos and think HP can rival anything at Disney.

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 16, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We found Mythos ok but really liked Lombards in the universal park.
We are 2 nights at Portofino bay as well. I was fancying the qs pizza at the hotel, Lombards and bubba gumps so far.
Old 27 Mar 16, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread