Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Apr 16, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Grand Train Journey across USA (2006) - Day 15

DAY 15 (2/7/06) – If I had a hammer…on the trail of the lonesome pine.

We awake just after 6 a.m. to the sound of people rushing to breakfast. Once washed and organised we make our way down to the dining car. The server is a Chinese guy with a bizarre sense of humour. Whilst telling us the Henry Ford – “any colour as long as it’s black” tale – we discover that he means we all get French toast. He then regales us with a story about the mother who was going to New York to see her daughter’s first dance performance on Broadway. “The curtain goes up but the mother is still stuck on the Amtrak train at Albany”. She complains she will miss her daughter’s debut. But the server responds “What can I do?”. “The curtain comes down but the mother is still on the train at Albany”. Everybody looks at each other with knowing looks and then carry on with their breakfast. We eat our toast whilst smirking at each other. What any of this had to do with our morning meal,we fail to see.

We’re passing through Covington where the train tracks the Ohio River.

Zimmer power station passes by. It was originally intended to be a boiling water reactor type of nuclear power plant. Although once estimated to be 97% complete, poor construction and quality assurance led to the plant being converted to coal-fired.

Maysville is an atmospheric river city on the edge of bluegrass country. It holds tobacco auctions and has New Orleans style architecture. We are now in Kentucky.

We make slow progress through Falls City after losing touch with the Ohio river for a while, travelling amongst fields and tree covered hills. The train now crosses the Ohio river.

The next major city is Charleston which is the capital and largest city of the State of West Virginia. It is located at the confluence of the Elk and Kanawha Rivers in Kanawha County. It had a population of around 50,000. It is not the place associated with the dance. That one is in South Carolina!

However , this city is famous for the great white river rafting that happens nearby although on this stretch in all seems to be canoeists.

We head through Charleston before climbing up into the mountains – the foothills of the Appalachians. As we follow alongside New River we watch some white-water rafting and more canoeing on the fast moving and boulder strewn water as we pass under the New River Gorge bridge – the world’s longest and the USA’s second largest steel arch road bridge.

Eagles soar above the river whilst thunderheads form in the clouds of a hot afternoon. We have a short stop at Prince to stretch our legs and we watch the bees buzzing on the wild flowers whilst we avoid being bitten by the millions mosquitoes of West Virginia. Most passengers get back on the train pretty quickly and start closing opened windows.

As we headed towards Hinton we move further into the Appalachian foothills. First formed roughly 480 million years ago they once reached elevations similar to those of the Alps and the Rocky Mountains before they were eroded. The Appalachian chain is a barrier to east-west travel as it forms a series of alternating ridge-lines and valleys oriented in opposition to any road running east-west.

On to Alderson (somewhere in the surrounding hillside is a secret bunker built in 1958 for use by the U.S. congress in the event of a nuclear attack), then Greenbriar resort and Spa. Bathing in the waters here has been popular 1778.

At this point we crossed the state line from West Virginia to Virginia, and started a slow decent through tunnels.

White Sulphur Springs comes along with its Greenbrier, 2,600 acre resort with facilities for many sports including ice skating. The first “horseless carriage” in these arts arrived here in 1900 on a Chesapeake & Ohio freight car.

Next, comes Clifton Forge, and Big Bend Tunnel, famous for John Henry – the “Steel Driving Man”, who could beat even steam-powered tunnelling drills by using two nine-to-twelve pound hammers. Although he died soon after tunnel completion after trying to compete for a bet, his legend lives on in the song “If I had a Hammer” – and he is immortalised in a statue on the mountainside above the tunnel.

We were now well into the blue-ridge mountain area and we can see the mountain Elliot Knob (4458ft) to our left.

The mountains truly are blue:

Staunton is next on the list. It was the birthplace of President Woodrow Wilson. Onward through Waynesboro and the Blue-Ridge mountains are to our right and the edge of the Shenandoah valley to our left. It has a wonderful skyline drive of 100 miles.

Charlottesville comes into view as dusk turns to night. We are running some 5 hours late.

The Cardinal now turns north – east heading towards Culpeper. The Union Army had a headquarters here during the Civil War and the Cavalary museum in the town has weaponry and other equipment from the period. Its Main Street is very reminiscent of Disney parks!

Manassas was a town fought over quite fiercely in the Civil War when two battles over a rail-road junction cost 24,000 lives and earned Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson his nickname.

As it gets to 11p.m. we approach the suburbs of Alexandria. The massive grey stone building is the George Washington Memorial Masonic Temple.

Alexandria began as a city in the 1740s as a port on the Potomac River. Over a million visitors come to see the hundreds of restored buildings, a cobblestone waterfront and the nation’s second oldest apothecary shop.

As we leave Alexandria we see the long lines of Metro trains that serve suburbia. The Ronald Reagan Washington National airport follows.

We glide by the Pentagon, the nerve centre of America’s military network. It employs 23,000 personnel occupying the world’s largest office building. Nearby Arlington cemetery is next. As we cross the Potomac River, on our left is the 14th Street road bridge.

The Cardinal arrives via a tunnel into Washington D.C.’s Union station just after midnight. Just before we enter the platform we get a glimpse of the Capitol Building.

For over 100 years this station has welcomed people to one of the most important cities in the world. This magnificent building has seen the likes of 17 Presidents and countless foreign dignitories. Now it’s our turn. We have the two suitcases and a couple of holdalls and start to struggle along the platform. Suddenly one of those golf cart type things honks it horn behind us. We are about to get out of the way when the lady driving it says: “Can I give you guys a helping hand?”

What a welcome! We are whizzed past our fellow passengers and suddenly plunge into the bowels of the station. This is quite a treat.

I have the video camera out to record this event and it gets even better when a cop car pulls out in front of us with lights flashing and siren blaring.

Thus we emerge into the streets of Washington right against the taxi cab rank. We thank the lady for her assistance and unusual ride and give her a tip. We bundle our luggage into a taxi and ourselves with it. By half midnight we have arrived at our hotel, booked in and collapsed into our beds.

INDEX: http://DIBB.in/11466192
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 16, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I imagine a `real` bed was a huge relief after sleeping on the train. Did you get used to it fairly quickly? I've always imagined the bunks to be fairly small and uncomfortable, but that may just be from the old films that I've seen them in (sorry, I'm rambling now!) Some wonderful photos, thank you.
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 16, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DizzyDisneyMum View Post
I imagine a `real` bed was a huge relief after sleeping on the train. Did you get used to it fairly quickly? I've always imagined the bunks to be fairly small and uncomfortable, but that may just be from the old films that I've seen them in (sorry, I'm rambling now!) Some wonderful photos, thank you.
As I said earlier the bunks are 6ft in length - I'm 6ft 3ins. They only provide one pillow so next time i'd have an inflatable with me. The top bunks require that you fasten some webbing straps into special eyelets for safety reasons. A real pain if you need to pop to the loo. Despite all that I wouldn't have missed any of the trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 16, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Geoff. The one I was waiting for, Virginia! What a lovely State.
So pleased you mentioned the Skyline Drive. A long time ago now - 1978 to be exact but I will remember this driving experience for ever.
I see you mention Arlington. Wonder if that's in your next report? I found it very sobering. Not so much Kennedy et al but the sheer numbers and the fact it's still being added to. So sad. But so nice as well for the ex vets having their final wish fulfilled.
I didn't know about John Henry, off to Google now!
Lovely report, loved the Chinese guy story, looking forward to the next one!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 16, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sorry that song is going to be in my head all night

"If I had a Hammer, I'll Hammer in the morning, Hammer in the evening, All over this Land.

Lesley and Melvin
Old 16 Feb 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great views again
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List