Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 16, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Ohana, Polynesian Resort

I'm late to the party on Ohana. Seems that every person on the Dibb and their cat has eaten at Ohana, except for me. Partly due to it being expensive, and us being off site, no DDP yada yada..anyway managed to get a reservation a couple of weeks out with the reservation finder on Touring plans for 6.30.

A little heads up for those unaware, Ohana is a family style restaurant meaning that the food is bought to your table in large platters which you can then share out amongst you, and if you want more you can order more. Meat and shrimp is then bought out straight from the grill on skewers which they carve off at your table.

After about a 15 min wait we were lead to our table. Our hostess was very sweet, Chinese I think but spoke awful english. That combined with the noise of the restaurant just left us nodding and smiling to most of what she was saying

On the way to the table, she picked up a plate of this pineapple and coconut bread. Very nice, and you can actually taste the pineapple and coconut. Bit of butter would've been nice though.

Oh, forgot that my mother ordered a Lapu Lapu. My god this was strong. She barely touched it even after watering it down. I had a bit and even for me (who has been known to like a cocktail or two ) found it really strong.

Soft drinks, iced tea and this - a pomegranate lemonade (what I had, below) are included in the set menu price at Ohana.

Our server then bought us a salad, which was really good and the dressing was a passionfruit vinaigrette (can remember that - no notes )

He also gave us two dipping sauces for the food later on - one sweet chill (good) and the other peanut (less good). But that's probably got something to do with me not being a peanut fan.

Then we were bought out the chicken wings and dumplings.

Out of the two, the dumplings were by far the better option but I thought the chicken wasn't bad too, if a little fatty. Parents weren't a fan of the chicken but the dumplings were a hit with everyone.

Next was the noodles and veg, both of which were nice.

Now for the main event - the meat. First we were bought out a skewer of shrimp.

Then chicken (whoops, no picture) and then steak.

Out of the three (from worst to best) I'd rank them - chicken, steak, shrimp. I'm not a massive steak lover but even I have to admit that it was actually very nice. It wasn't bloody and very pink, but also wasn't overly tough either. The chicken was decent, though a bit cold though the shrimp were amazing. I like my seafood anyway, and these were great. Juicy, flavourful and just ... really good.

And then, of course... the moment you have all been waiting for ... bread pudding time!

Wait for it...

...thats more like it

It wasn't a huge portion between the 3 of us, but obviously we could've asked for more if we'd wanted. It was amazing, but I didn't want to be stuffed - so instead of leaving Ohana stuffed I left - comfortable. The bill was expensive, about $40 per person (plus the Lapu Lapu which I think was $13) plus the tax and tip so it was a fair amount.

Service was excellent, drinks were always kept refilled and the food was very good. Don't know if I would return all time time if I wasn't on the DDP as it isn't cheap but if you have never done it before then you've got to try it at least once.

Only disappointment though is that I was expecting to get a flower lei However... I didn't leave Florida without one, as you'll see later on...

More updates soon...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Loving the report up to now! We haven't eaten at Ohana Looking forward to reading more!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I haven't eaten at Ohana either, so you're definitely not alone. It's on the list for next time though
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love a new food report. I loved Ohana one of our favourite meals, I am so glad I am not alone in thinking that the Lapu Lapu was too strong, I couldn't drink mine either.

Looking forward to the rest.
Old 8 Sep 16, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
Loving the report up to now! We haven't eaten at Ohana Looking forward to reading more!
Thank you... more later today

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
I haven't eaten at Ohana either, so you're definitely not alone. It's on the list for next time though
Glad I wasn't the only one. I'm sure you'll love it.

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
Love a new food report. I loved Ohana one of our favourite meals, I am so glad I am not alone in thinking that the Lapu Lapu was too strong, I couldn't drink mine either.

Looking forward to the rest.
I know right? Maybe its an American thing, as both tables around us had them (Americans) and they were knocking them back like it was full of water
Old 8 Sep 16, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post

DAY 3 - Sat 20th Aug

Up early again as we were off to Magic Kingdom and the park opened at 8, we weren't going to get there that early but I think by the time we got into the park it was still only 8:45 so not too bad.

Before leaving I opened these that I got at Publix the night we arrived.

And wow - what a disappointment. Firstly, how misleading are these? They are at least a third smaller than the picture on the packet. What the hell? Also they were pretty soggy and the filling was kinda non existent. Don't waste your money on these. Most of these got left.

Gaston's Tavern, Magic Kingdom

Anyway, on to better things. After our 7DMT FP and a quick ride on the teacups we had a light breakfast at Gastons.

Warm Cinnamon Roll $4.49
My dad had this, it was huge - like a loaf. Didn't stop him finishing it though

Chocolate Croissant $3.59
I went for this instead, was actually quite nice. Made a complete mess of it with the chocolate and powdered sugar.

Lefou's Brew $4.49
Also couldn't help getting one of these again. Nice and refreshing, similar set up to butter beer with the foamy top, but its more like a sparkling apple juice.

Old 8 Sep 16, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Sleepy Hollow

I think my dad and I were a bit to keen when it came to breakfast as my mum waited a bit longer and then had one of these...

Waffle with Strawberries and Whipped Cream $6.79
She had it without the cream though. This was really good. They are making them fresh there as well as funnel cakes. So good I had one when we came back to Magic Kingdom later on.

French Vanilla Iced Coffee $4.69
And of course, the usual iced coffee.

Great little spot is Sleepy Hollow, usually quite quiet early on and a nice view onto the side of the castle.
Old 8 Sep 16, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Columbia Harbour House, Magic Kingdom

Lunch was at another favourite of ours, Columbia Harbour House.

Anchors Aweigh Sandwich $9.99
Mum had this, its basically a fancy tuna sandwich but she said it was nice. Comes with thick cut kettle chips.

Lobster Roll $13.49
Me and my father both went for this. Was actually really decent. Lots of big chunks of lobster meat too.

Lemonade Slushy $4.69
I find the just lemon slushy way too sweet, but my parents had one of these each as well.

Old 8 Sep 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Main Street Bakery, Magic Kingdom

Brief one this one. On the way out was a bit thirsty so called in here and I was intrigued by the 'green tea frappucino' as its not a flavour we get over here so went for a small one just to try it out.

Green Tea Frappucino (small) $4.49

Maybe it's just me, but if it wasn't for the slightly green colour I probably couldn't have told you it was green tea. It was basically just like a vanilla frappucino with a bit of something thrown in.
Old 8 Sep 16, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Bahama Breeze, 192

Dinner tonight was at Bahama Breeze, not our usual Lake Buena Vista one as we were in a villa this time, so the 192 branch was nearer. Had about a 10 minute wait.

Strawberry Lemon Breeze $3.49
Mum went for this, was basically just a strawberry lemonade. Nice though.

Virgin Bahamarita $3.79
They were out of one of the flavours that goes in it, so it was just kiwi and strawberry. Was still really nice though.

Iced tea $2.99
Might as well include my dad's on here, not to be left out

Applewood Bacon and Cheeseburger $11.29
Mum went for this, came with smoked bacon, melted cheddar cheese, pickle slices, tomato, red onions, lettuce on a toasted brioche bun.

Chipotle Beef Bowl $11.49
Dad went for this. Sautéed beef sirloin, roasted corn and black beans in a chipotle sauce served over yellow rice and cheese topped with sour cream, salsa and avocado. He enjoyed this, though the ratio of sour cream to everything else was way off, the picture doesn't do it justice, like half a tub on there

Key West Fish Tacos $10.49
And finally, I went for these. Filled with mahi mahi, salsa and cabbage jicama slaw (?). I had these last time and were great both times. A bit heavier on the coriander than I remember (not a fan) but it didn't overpower it too much, I did try to pick round it.

Rebecca's Key Lime Pie (x2) $6.99, but for us... $0
Now I don't know who Rebecca is but she does make a damn good key lime pie, every time we've been here its the best. If you have seen my previous food reports you'll have seen me ramble on about how good they are but they really are. Really limey, thick brown sugar base mm... we got 2 to share between the 3 of us as they are big, and we still took some away in a box.

And, just after we ordered them our waitress said as we'd been waiting a while for the food, both desserts would be free. Result! (damn, should've ordered 3 ) Honestly though, while we waited longer than in other places, it still wasn't really more than maybe 35 minutes - maybe long in the US but we didn't even notice or mind.

Another great, and this time very cheap meal at Bahama Breeze. Shame we didn't get to return again.