Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Sep 16, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Geeman
Helping Donald

Informing Credit Card Company of Your Holiday Plans

Does anyone tell their Credit Card companies they are going on holiday and to where?

The reason I ask is I have been told they may not process purchases abroad as it looks like a suspicious transaction.

What do you do?
Geeman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisE
Proud to wear my Ears

All depends on the company. I know with Barclaycard and Amex you don't need to, but other half used her Halifax CC in New York and Halifax put a hold on the account until she contacted them.
ChrisE is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I would be interested to see what others say.
I have never told my credit card company, when travelling to Europe, or the States or Canada. I have had no problems.
Having said that, we tend to take a fair amount of dollars in cash with us, so are not using the card each and every day!
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tink66
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a Nationwide cc which I use very infrequently so I always let them know when I will be away.
tink66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Always have done with HSBC and never had any problems. No idea what they'd be like if I didn't. I just send a message through online banking.
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Libbyimo
Excited about Disney

Im with bank of Scotland ,and had trouble in the past whilst abroad, so now I always let them know,since i did no problems at all.
Libbyimo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SBF
Very Serious Dibber

SBF's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
The Virgin credit card has a procedure for letting them know when you're away to avoid this. You text a number with your dates and they send an automated text response.

Doesn't work though. I've just returned from holiday and, even though I was in my stated area .. on my stated dates, they refused a transaction. I telephoned them and they told me that, despite having informed them of my travel plans, there's still no guarantee.
SBF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

I always let my banks know. I take my Halifax Clarity, PO, and my AMEXs. I had my PO cc blocked while in Florida, I rang and told them that I'd informed them of my dates abroad. Turns out because I'd used the card to get a 99c DVD from the Redbox machine, the bank thought the card had been stolen, and a small purchase was being made to try out the card. Pretty impressive! Thankfully, I had an additional card, though, because I'd done my usual mega shop in Walmart and the first card was refused.

ETA: only had the one issue in several trips, and LOADS of usage. 😊😊

Edited at 01:58 PM.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
barry206
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I always tell bank an cc company when we are away..never had a problem
barry206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 16, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dking2001
Excited about Disney

Never have done and never had a problem ... until this year. Tried to use a Halifax card for a largish transaction on first night in Florida (we had to buy clothes etc for the family as cases had been misrouted). Transaction was blocked and I spent 25 minutes on the phone to the company before getting it unblocked.

The guy in security told me that the issue was most likely caused by the fact I used the CC at a vending machine on Aligator Alley for a few dollars and then followed that up with a large ($600 dollar plus) purchase. Apparently this is what the card cloners do, use the card for a low level transaction where they are not observed, such as a vending machine, then use for big purchases. So my spending behaviours here triggered a fraud flag and hence card was blocked.

Incidentally, they refunded the cost of my £25 mobile bill to get it sorted.
dking2001 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread