Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Jan 17, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Haha this report is hilarious!

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Just catching up on this report, love the humour and your real views on the food, very helpful, thanks!
Thanks so much - I hope I can give "real" views. The food at WDW costs a fortune, and I don't think any of us think it's worth what they charge. That's why I try to look at it (and describe it) as part of a bigger experience, IYKWIM...

Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
Great update.
Thanks for commenting. Knowing that folks are "out there" makes it much easier to persevere!

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Just come across your report and loving it so far. You've got a great way of writing and sense of humour. Look forward to the rest
Why thank you, loves2plan - I value your opinion.

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Just read all of this, great funny report so far, looking forward to the rest!
The next day goes up in a few minutes - thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by NatalieG View Post
Loving reading this report Your humour throughout is great!
That's really nice to hear - Thank you!

Originally Posted by flo-tinka View Post
Thanks for report, fun and tasty to read!
Cheese curds still to be tried by us, one for next time?
Your DS has such amazingly varied tastes. Mine has only just got into different flavours in his teenage years
I'll spare you my soap-box lecture on fussy eaters (You're Welcome! ) - I think Poot's palate was really just born of my laziness. I was at NO POINT going to be making two separate meals when only three people live in our house!

We do LOVE the curds round 'ours. They are best in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but the A&W ones are pretty good if you can get fresh ones. Because curds that have been sitting under a heat lamp are just...

Thanks for commenting!

Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
Haha this report is hilarious!
So glad you're enjoying it - day 8 up in a few minutes.
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 8

We were at Artist’s Palette (the Saratoga Springs QS) when they opened at 7:00 AM. I activated our refillable mugs - and the handles were back! Yay!

We definitely didn’t get a huge amount of use out of the refillable mugs staying in Congress Park - the pool in CP doesn’t have a drinks station, and both Poot and I usually just drink water with breakfast. I didn’t want to lug the mugs to the parks (so that we could fill them up on our way back home in the evenings). You get the picture, I’m sure.

Breakfast, Artist’s Palette (Saratoga Springs)

There were ten or twelve hot breakfast choices at the Artist’s Palette - they were all pretty standard American breakfast options.

We decided to share, and went for the iconic…

Mickey Waffles - three mini Mickey Waffles with bacon ($8 - we used 1 QS credit)

These were our first-ever Mickey waffles...and they were...fine. I’m not a fan of “pancake syrup” - unless it’s proper maple syrup. The Disney stuff is mostly corn syrup (yuk). The bacon was tasty, though!

Oh, Streaky Bacon, I love you...WHY do you have to be so bad for me?

I know that breakfast isn’t the best way to use DDP quick service credits, but because we usually share our QS meals, I thought we’d share one QS meal for breakfast and another for lunch.

Yesterday’s table service lunch at Mama Melrose had been so massive and filling that we hadn’t eaten dinner, and so were already “behind” by one QS credit (DDP Fail #1 ).

Since we had our mugs, we used our drink allotment to get a little pot of strawberries - they were those massive, super-firm American berries (lovely to look at but no flavour at all). We made ourselves eat them - for the vitamins (?) - but decided to go for the grapes next time.

I thought about having a mug of tea (there was a decent selection of teas) but we were in a rush to get to Animal Kingdom, so in the end both of us just had water (DDP Fail #2).

Snack, Mr. Kamal's (Asia, Animal Kingdom)

Mr. Kamal’s is a little shack just down from Flights of Wonder.

As we walked up to the order window, an outraged American lady was storming off - chastising her poor husband all the while...

“How could you THINK I’d want any of that?! PLEASE just find some NORMAL food!”

Sigh…

The “abnormal” food ( ) at Mr. Kamal’s:

Poot couldn’t decide between the falafel and the samosas - so we ordered both!

Falafel with tzatziki $4.99 (we used 1 snack credit)

Samosas with mango salsa $5.99 (we used 1 snack credit)

I know these were both cooked from frozen - but they were pretty good. They were prepared to order for us - and both the falafel and the samosas were piping hot and crispy. There were a couple of lettuce leaves at the bottom of each of the paper “bowls”.

I don’t think I’d get the falafel again. It was a bit bland - and I don’t feel like the tzatziki was a particularly good match for it. It would have been much better with lashings of garlic sauce!

But the samosas were good - and a little bit spicy! The mango salsa complemented the spiciness really well.

Nobody in our house likes SUPER spicy food - but these had a good balance of sweet, sour, salty and spicy. I’d put them down as a no-brainer for a snack credit. I don’t know that I’d pay $6 out of pocket for them, though…

I lie - I do know - I wouldn’t. But if you like “abnormal” food (like we do) and you’re on the Dining Plan - give them a try.

Lunch, Pizzafari (Discovery Island, Animal Kingdom)

Poot was a little bit "down" today, I wondered if he had picked up a bug...so I let him choose lunch, and he picked:

Pepperoni Flatbread - freshly baked flatbread with tangy tomato sauce, mozzarella, and spicy pepperoni slices, served with tomato and cucumber salad $10.49 (we used 1 QS credit)

This pizza (WHY is every pizza at Disney World now called a “flatbread”?) was only OK, but I did appreciate that there was a “different” sort of side dish served with it. The “salad” was more like a chunky salsa-y pico de gallo-type thing - but it was pretty refreshing (plus, you know - VEGETABLES! ).

Poot had tap water, I had a soda (in a cup the size of my head).

We picked chocolate mousse to go with our meal - it was served as a sort of "bar" - and was sweet and creamy, if not particularly “chocolaty”. But I won’t miss the QS desserts - I am definitely one who would prefer to have the extra snack credit for an ice cream!

EDIT: I forgot to mention - Pizzafari has a pin trading board. Something for the kids to do while you wait for your mediocre pizza!

(Unexpected) Dinner, Artist's Palette (Saratoga Springs)

We were meant to be eating at the Sci-Fi tonight, but Poot being under the weather put paid to that...

We had to leave AK early. When we got back to our room, I ran a coolish bath for Poot. The water seemed to revive him a little, so I left him while I called Disney Dining and cancelled our ADR at the Sci-Fi. We’ve been there before - it was knowing we were going to miss the Star Wars fireworks that really made us sad.

If you are wondering (you’re probably not ), they didn’t charge us for the cancelled ADR. The CM just told me to tell Poot that she hoped he felt better soon. I fully expected to have to pay ($20!) for the cancelled rezzie, so this was a nice surprise.

Poot got out of the bathtub, climbed into his bed - and slept for five hours. When he woke up, he was FAMISHED (I hoped that was a good sign) - but I didn’t want to walk up to the Carriage House leaving him alone in the room.

I probably would have left him to walk to the QS at, say, French Quarter - but he would have been on his own for at least thirty minutes at SSR because of the distance from our room to the Carriage House.

He said he felt up to the walk, though - and indeed the fresh air seemed to help him a bit.

I was a bit distracted (!) and didn’t bring my phone to take photos - but Poot studied the menu and liked the look of the Italian sandwich. You can see it here:

Italian Flatbread Sandwich - ham, salami and mortadella with provolone cheese, red wine vinaigrette and mayonnaise served with house-made chips $11.49 (we used 1 QS credit).

The sandwich was tasty (though it was mostly ham!) - but we didn’t think much of the “house-made” chips (I would have rather just had Kettle Chips).

For our dessert Poot chose a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich - which I cut in half, trying to avoid picking up Poot’s bug. Disney sells the Nestle ones, which are good -

- but not a patch on Kempswiches (which I think you can only get in the Upper Midwest). They are rolled in miniature chocolate chips...

Joe Mauer knows...Kempswiches are the best!

Any excuse to get a snap (or two) of Joe Mauer in the trippie...

What’s that you say? I’m old enough to be his mother?

I think I actually prefer these little pre-packaged ice cream cookie sandwiches to the fresh ones you get in the parks (Blasphemy!). The cookies in the pre-packaged ones are SO soft, because they’ve had time to absorb moisture from the ice cream.

I used my mug tonight for a fountain soda (DDP Success #1!) and we used the drink credit to get some more fresh fruit (a little tub of pineapple chunks this time). Poot (surprise!) had water in his mug.

If you want to see a picture of Poot's first crush (My baby's growing up! ) or the rest of our day at Animal Kingdom...

Day 8 (Animal Kingdom and Love at First Sight) is Here

Tomorrow: A pre-park opening breakfast at Be Our Guest!

Edited at 12:51 PM.
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I absolutely love your sense of humour, this is a great food report! I definitely need to try those Samosas at AK!

Glad Poot was feeling better after a sleep!
Old 28 Jan 17, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

fantastic updates... I like 'abnormal food' too, but whenever I suggest it I get the 'but why don't you just order the chicken tenders?' look so I feel your pain!
Old 29 Jan 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
I absolutely love your sense of humour, this is a great food report! I definitely need to try those Samosas at AK!

Glad Poot was feeling better after a sleep!
Thanks!

Poot was a little feeble for the next few days - but it could have been a lot worse...

I don't know about you, but after a few days of burgers/pizza/chips I want something different - we tried to keep up our fruit intake (that was easy with the little fruit pots at Saratoga) - it was the veg that was trickier (I didn't count the two lettuce leaves under the samosas ).

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
fantastic updates... I like 'abnormal food' too, but whenever I suggest it I get the 'but why don't you just order the chicken tenders?' look so I feel your pain!
Ha!

I guess I just don't feel like any of the things on the menu at Mr. Kamal's were...strange. But I sometimes forget that not everyone thinks like me!

I remember when my mother was coming to visit a few years ago - and she emailed me a grocery list in advance of her arrival.

"Because April, I love you, but your fridge is always full of weird things!"

Old 29 Jan 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Going soon!
Excited about Disney

Loving your report ... making me giggle soooo much! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Hx
Going soon! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Going soon! View Post
Loving your report ... making me giggle soooo much! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Hx
So glad you're enjoying it!

Be Our Guest breakfast and something YUMMY up in a few minutes...
Old 31 Jan 17, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Libbyimo
Excited about Disney

Great so far.
Libbyimo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List