Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 1 Apr 21, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The rest of the coast is entirely different to Miami , far more laid back . Fine for a night precruise but it’s not somewhere we spend any time otherwise ,
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The rest of the coast is entirely different to Miami , far more laid back . Fine for a night precruise but it’s not somewhere we spend any time otherwise ,
Agree with this, other than flying into Miami, and staying in an airport hotel, we've never stepped foot anywhere else. The rest of the coast is stunning and gets completely overlooked by the Gulf Coast!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've not done the East coast (except DH and the boys went to Kennedy space centre a few years ago), but we have been to the West Coast twice for a day trip (Anna Maria Island), then 2 proper trips. We did a week at the Inn on Fifth in Naples first time, followed by 5 nights or so at Disney and a few nights at Hard Rock, then Sarasota (Ritz Carlton) for a couple of nights followed by 2 weeks in the most beautiful villa we've ever stayed in at Lely Resort Naples. The hotel in Sarasota had a beach club, they ran a free bus between the hotel and the beach club. Lovely hotel but major works outside our window and a really noisy industrial kitchen fan - and this was extra for the view! Did get several points for complaining about it. One stand out thing we did in Sarasota was to get up at the crack of dawn and go on an official turtle hatch walk. They managed to rescue several live ones. Amazing.

So much to do in Naples too. We've gone to the Pro Bull Rodeo twice (Hertz Arena, though don't know if this will ever open again under Hertz as I believe Hertz are in financial difficulty), did a boardwalk early one morning, drove to Everglade city to do an air boat ride and to try Blue crab, which was out of season but would be in season in January, visited the smallest PO in USA (unbeknown to me the postmaster photo bombed my pic), went for a drive up HP Williams Wayside where we saw so many gators in the wild (all within 5 miles of Naples). There's a zoo.
Beautiful beaches of course, food is amazing, way nicer than the usual eateries in Orlando, some lovely shops (unique and some designer) as well as a couple of outlets, which some folk find cheaper than the outlets in Orlando.

I'm desperate to back to the West Coast, however think we will head elsewhere. I'd love a villa with a pool, within walking distance to restaurants and the beach. Don't know if it's possible though. I'm contemplating a week at Anna Maria Island then somewhere else for the following week.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

I’m so sorry, I seem to have had an issue getting notifications and didn’t realise anyone else had replied. I feel so rude for not having come to say thank you! I’m still completely torn, there have been some great comments about both coasts so I don’t think we can go wrong, whatever we do, but oh it’s so hard to decide!
Old 11 May 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

We haven’t explored the East side as it’s just never appealed as much as the Gulf coast. We stayed in Cape Coral and loved the beaches of Sanibel, Lovers Key, Ft Myers, Naples... picture perfect, peaceful, amazing wildlife but lots to see and do if you want it. Can’t wait to go back!

It’s a great dilemma to have tho
Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I was always a died in the wool West Coaster. The further south generally the better. In particular we like Naples and are hopefully back this year (we were booked for Fort Myers but Naples was calling us again).
However, we like anywhere on the Gulf- Anna Maria Island we visited and really liked that. Clearwater and St Pete’s the British favourites are nice, but we prefer other areas. We really like Indian Shores area.
Having visited St Augustine though, I have started to like the Atlantic more. We have Disney Vero booked this year also and Miami Beach booked at Christmas.
We stay usually on Lely in Naples, very near Marco Island which is a bit out of the centre but has great restaurants all around it and you can get to Marco or Naples Old Town in about 15 minutes. It also has a great country club access on it called Player’s Club which is really lovely. The house we rented the other year there had Eagles in the trees at the back and gators in the pond.

Edited at 05:48 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
We have done both coasts a number of times. Often to the Gold Coast as we have a number of friends around the Delray Beach area and around Palm Beach. We do like the Gulf coast best though, not Clearwater area but further down towards Siesta Key and Naples. Favourites are Anna Maria Island and Sanibel/Captive
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

You’ve all convinced me we need to do both! I think I might have come up with a solution, I just need to convince OH and find the finances to make it happen ... and hope he has enough leave!

We’d already spoken about going to see the main mouse between thanksgiving and Christmas next year, to get the tail end of the 50th celebrations whilst it’s a bit quieter, and to see the Christmas theming. So I’m wondering if I could convince OH that we could do the west coast and Keys next January (Tampa/Miami) for some winter sun after this long COVID slog, and then tag a short cruise on at the end of our WDW holiday in Dec, thus giving us an excuse for a wee daunder over to the east coast! All boxes ticked, happy Pooh Bear!

We could easily do 2.5/3 weeks in January as OH’s leave year starts on 1 Feb and he’s got loads to use due to this year being a bust, just not sure if we can squeak 3 weeks in Nov/Dec as we’re hoping to fit in a 3 week road trip in May/June next year too.

If only that damn lottery fairy would wave her magic wand!
Old 12 May 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
We have Naples booked for this Oct and hopefully a usual visit to the East Coast at Lake Worth next March 🤞
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

OH happy about getting some winter sun down the gulf coast in January and very keen to visit the Keys (he’s particularly excited to go to Dry Tortuga!) and also thinks a wee Bahamian cruise after a fortnight in Orlando in Nov/Dec also sounds wonderful, especially since he can tie that in with the space centre, so Houston (or should that be Canaveral!) we are good to go! 🚀