Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Aug 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Sky news reporting that the sentences for all three to be reviewed to decide if they were unduly lenient. I haven’t read the report, just seen the notification for it.

Edited at 12:11 PM.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

This is a link to change.org for Lissie Harper's petition to get a change to the law for a mandatory FULL ilfe sentence for anyone who kills an Emergency Services Worker.

change/p/uk-governme...f-dd201e5dfe8e

Please consider signing it, and also consider financially contributing to the fund.

Many thanks.
Old 21 Aug 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
This is a link to change.org for Lissie Harper's petition to get a change to the law for a mandatory FULL ilfe sentence for anyone who kills an Emergency Services Worker.

Please consider signing it, and also consider financially contributing to the fund.

Many thanks.
I have signed and sent it on to my contacts. I am also thinking of writing to my MP.
Old 21 Aug 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
I have signed and sent it on to my contacts. I am also thinking of writing to my MP.
Good idea Olga. I've just emailed my M.P.
Old 21 Aug 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ShamuLvr
Very Serious Dibber

Many thanks.
I've signed it and sent it to friends, thanks for posting the link

Edited at 04:04 PM.
ShamuLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Many thanks.

Hi
My friend sent this to me yesterday to sign, really hope it helps x
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

At the risk of being controversial...

My concern about the changes PC Harper's family want to see is that they risk creating a two tier system, whereby the lives of emergency service workers are seen to matter more than the lives of everyone else. As we saw during Covid, there are so many different sectors of workers who are essential to the running of this country, but who aren't emergency service workers.

It is not acceptable for anyone to go to work, and not come home because of someone else's criminality - so someone gets a whole life term for killing a Policeman, but stabbing a teacher doesn't warrant one? Or mowing down a highway worker on the motorway? I could go on.

Every life matters. Behind every unlawful death is a grieving family, and their pain is immeasurable, no matter what their loved one did for a living. This should be a campaign to review sentencing for murder and manslaughter offences across the board, not just for one section of society.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am in no way minimising the death of PC Harper, the circumstances, the actions of those who killed him or the grief of his loved ones.
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Signed and shared the Petition when it first opened under a different name.
Hopefully their ruse will backfire and their sentences extended considerably and wipe the smiles off there grinning faces.
RIP Andrew x
Old 21 Aug 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
At the risk of being controversial...

My concern about the changes PC Harper's family want to see is that they risk creating a two tier system, whereby the lives of emergency service workers are seen to matter more than the lives of everyone else. As we saw during Covid, there are so many different sectors of workers who are essential to the running of this country, but who aren't emergency service workers.

It is not acceptable for anyone to go to work, and not come home because of someone else's criminality - so someone gets a whole life term for killing a Policeman, but stabbing a teacher doesn't warrant one? Or mowing down a highway worker on the motorway? I could go on.

Every life matters. Behind every unlawful death is a grieving family, and their pain is immeasurable, no matter what their loved one did for a living. This should be a campaign to review sentencing for murder and manslaughter offences across the board, not just for one section of society.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am in no way minimising the death of PC Harper, the circumstances, the actions of those who killed him or the grief of his loved ones.
Kate, I get what you're saying and this gave me pause for thought.

I in no way think that the lives of Emergency Service Workers are more important than other lives.

But when there is a dangerous issue, a violent incident, a bomb to diffuse, a suspect to be disarmed, a hostage to be rescued; when sensible people walk or run away, it's then that the Emergency Service workers walk or run into danger.

They are the ones choosing to put themselves in the line of fire, bomb, sword and car to save others.

I think a clear signal does need to be sent out to let offenders know that these workers aren't cannon fodder.

Ideally, in my opinion, any life taken in a criminal act, and without exceptional mitigation, should mean a full life sentence.

The choice to sign it or not is very much up to each individual.
Old 21 Aug 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Signed and shared on Facebook and Twitter