Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Mar 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The rumblings are starting up again. It was all delayed by Coronavirus. However as we move back to normality it will be introduced (rumour) and FP old style will not come back.
As to the advantages of being on site, there was an initial indication that they may get more free passes but no one knows. Given Universal give free passes to deluxe guests, I think they’ve got a bar to reach.
Old 18 Mar 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Unfortunately the most perfect time to bring in changes without effecting current guests. Previously they would have to have some kind of transition period, but now they can introduce changes with ease.

For us the FP is a game changer. We wouldnt do Universal without an express pass (staying at a hotel that offers it). We can do each Universal park in one day.

The Disney FP means you get to do at least 3 decent rides a day and queue for a handful of others. We dont go on holiday to stand in queues or stand around waiting. Especially for rides that we dont all want to go on.

The 60 day FP is a great incentive to stay on site. If we had to pay for a FP like in other parks around the world, we may just not return or have to do Disney differently. Its already expensive enough.

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Here we are, 3 years later...
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Unfortunately the most perfect time to bring in changes without effecting current guests.
Yes, that's true I suppose.

The thing is, the current Disney tickets on sale (and previously sold) state on them that they include Fastpass+. So, they would need to provide some sort of free fastpass entitlement to those who had already bought their tickets if they re-introduced fastpasses in the next few weeks/months.

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
If we had to pay for a FP like in other parks around the world, we may just not return or have to do Disney differently. Its already expensive enough.
If Disney introduced a paid Fastpass option that worked the same as Universal's Express Passes, and was provided to those staying at a deluxe resort just like Universal's, would you consider staying onsite to get it?

It sounds like you spend additional money to stay onsite at Universal to get Express Passes, so would you do the same at Disney if the option was available?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

The thing is, the current Disney tickets on sale (and previously sold) state on them that they include Fastpass+. So, they would need to provide some sort of free fastpass entitlement to those who had already bought their tickets if they re-introduced fastpasses in the next few weeks/months.
Would they need to offer something though, if Fastpass+ no longer exists? It is available to all guests regardless of ticket type. I’m sure there will be something in the ticket T&Cs that will cover removal of additional benefits other than park entry. I’ll have to have a read...

Edited at 12:10 AM.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
JoanicSicos
Getting Excited

Yes, that's true I suppose.

It sounds like you spend additional money to stay onsite at Universal to get Express Passes, so would you do the same at Disney if the option was available?
You do, but generally it ends up being a saving compared to the room cost/everyone staying getting an express pass vs buying express passes individually.

I've not done universal without an express pass since 2011, and couldn't imagine going back to regular queuing - now that we are tied into school holiday periods, it's a lifesaver.

I'd be intrigued by the idea of paid for fastpass, but for me it would have to be similar to the express pass. A larger cost, but I can use the fastpass queues for all the rides. I don't think I would pay for an additional 3 for immediate booking for instance - I find the stress of having to book immediately at 30 days out annoying. Just being able to roll up into the line would be a game changer for me and I'd likely spend more time at Disney parks because of it - especially if it became a "stay-on-site" benefit.

Back to the original topic though - I like this idea. I tend to have my phone on me anyway for browsing through and selecting new FPs, avoiding character meetup locations (daughter has extreme anxiety over the more costumed characters like mickey and the like - fine with princesses) and now mobile ordering, so using my phone isn't a problem for me. Though I do like having a magic band as a reminder when I'm home.
JoanicSicos is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by shelle View Post
Would they need to offer something though, if Fastpass+ no longer exists? It is available to all guests regardless of ticket type. I’m sure there will be something in the ticket T&Cs that will cover removal of additional benefits other than park entry. I’ll have to have a read...
Obviously, at the moment, Fastpass+ is not running and therefore this doesn't apply.

However, if/when they bring back Fastpass+ then they'd have to honour what the ts&cs of the tickets say. The tickets say that they include Fastpass+ (when Fastpass+ is running). Therefore, legally, you can use them to get some Fastpass+ reservations at no additional cost. The price of the tickets includes the use of the Fastpass+ system (when running) and therefore you are legally entitled to some.

Disney could be cheeky and rename the new fastpass system - let's call it MagicPass - and thus claim the tickets do not provide any MagicPasses (they don't) so you don't get them included with the tickets. That way, you would have to pay extra is you wanted any of those new Magicpass fastpasses.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by JoanicSicos View Post
You do, but generally it ends up being a saving compared to the room cost/everyone staying getting an express pass vs buying express passes individually.
Yes. But let's say the same would be true of this fictional Disney Express Pass option and that it's cheaper to book a deluxe hotel room at Disney where everyone gets Disney Express Passes included versus buying the Disney Express Passes individually. Would you be interested?

BTW, I would assume that individual Disney Express Passes would be expensive. They would probably cost more than the equivalent at Universal because (a) they will cover more parks and (b) Disney is more popular than Universal and Express Passes at Disney would be more in demand.

Oh and, just to point out, at the moment the 2-Park Unlimited Express Passes at Universal cost $300 per person per day (!) because it's peak season. That's Ł860 for a family of 4 for just one day of Express Passes.

The suggestion I had was for something very similar to what Universal has - you can use the Fastpass entrance whenever you wanted either once per ride (as per the Single Use Express Passes) or as many times as you wanted (as per the Unlimited Express Pass version). I don't actually think this is what Disney will provide, but I was interested to see what people's view would be *if* Disney did introduce that as their paid fastpass option.

Originally Posted by JoanicSicos View Post
I've not done universal without an express pass since 2011, and couldn't imagine going back to regular queuing - now that we are tied into school holiday periods, it's a lifesaver.
I've only ever had Express Passes once and that was because we wanted to fit Universal into just 2 days and also because we were visiting around Easter. TBH, even then I don't think we needed them - although they did come in useful.

Most of the time I don't see the need to pay out additional money for the Express Passes at Universal but that's just me.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:05 PM.
Old 19 Mar 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Not looking forward to this if my already booked holiday does not include free fastpasses. A little unfair to anyone who has booked a holiday in the summer if this does end up launching in May and people have to find the money for this or spend the majority of time in queues. More people stuck in queues = less money at food places and money spent in the shops.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Not looking forward to this if my already booked holiday does not include free fastpasses. A little unfair to anyone who has booked a holiday in the summer if this does end up launching in May and people have to find the money for this or spend the majority of time in queues. More people stuck in queues = less money at food places and money spent in the shops.
Just to clarify, we don't know what Disney has planned.

They may not introduce a paid fastpass service. If they do, it might be in addition to the free fastpasses you already get. We really don't know yet. At the moment, we're simply speculating.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 19 Mar 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Just to clarify, we don't know what Disney has planned.

They may not introduce a paid fastpass service. If they do, it might be in addition to the free fastpasses you already get. We really don't know yet. At the moment, we're simply speculating.
I just think they will try and get money anyway they can.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List