Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Apr 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Bev

The Radisson is so convenient but the price difference can be significant!

In Feb 2020 we paid £55/night at the Crowne Plaza vs £105 at the Radisson (I think that was an unusually cheap price). I wish I’d spent the extra as the shuttles were a bit of a faff BUT had the difference been a lot more - and with two rooms it is bound to be - I’d be happy with another nearby hotel.
Old 15 Apr 21, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’d love to stay at the Radisson but have never found a decent price as we have to travel in school holidays. In 2016, we stayed at the Clayton hotel. We did twilight check in with Thomas Cook (obviously no longer available) and then walked from the terminal to the airport. It literally took 5-10 minutes. The hotel operate a shuttle though and it is only a couple of minutes away which we took in the morning.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We've travelled by train once from Southport for a cheapie short week in Paris - the train journey took longer than the flight, was crowded and cold so it was back to taxis. We’ve never driven there after a long haul flight.

We’ve stayed at the Clayton (once) and the Radisson (multiple times). We have always loved the Radisson but decided to save a bit of money and opted for the Clayton. Nothing wrong with the hotel but it was during a lot of construction at the airport and it was September. Really nasty weather which definitely influenced our opinion. We dropped our luggage off and had to wait in the open in a torrential deluge of freezing rain. In the morning the drop off was miles from the door because of the building work and again torrential rain. Never again, much prefer the convenience of the Radisson.

Last time our DD drove up from Brighton after finishing work; parked at the airport around 11pm; stayed in our triple room and on our return slept half a day in a day room, at I think, the Hilton for a very reasonable price.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The cheap saver train fares tend not to be loaded until around ten weeks before the travel date so should drop.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Heald Green Premier Inn, circa 100 yard walk from HG railway station, good places to eat in HG town, a short walk away. £6 + £3 drop off for a taxi to terminal the following morn, may be more for 4 pax, booked via PI Reception. I've previously booked HG PI, off peak, for £29 per room.

As Duchy said, cheaper advance rail fares should appear but they're all up in the air too, TPE timetables usually change early May/early Nov - try a mock booking against your journey for, say, 9 weeks away. Also note it's oft worth buying segments vs departure to destination, example in our instance, Durham to Man Piccadilly, and Piccadilly to Heald Green. Try Transpennine Express website for prices - also check out National Rail, at booking option click on 'details' and you'll see platform numbers, which, we find, is most helpful. Avoid the likes of The Trainline as they charge a booking fee, TPE don't. I buy a Two Together railcard using Tesco points (£10), reduces fares by a third.

NOTE: Upon return TPE offer a 3 hour easement, the station desk clerk will countersign your ticket(s) to the next train, BUT, you must leave at least an hour from plane to train and your flight must be delayed - the Man Airport ticket desk do have an arrivals TV, and they will check. As recently discussed on here, TPE won't countersign to the next train if you're delayed due to a luggage/passport control issue et al., but under those circumstances I'd politely make my case to the Station Master. TPE used to be very flexible and take pax at their word, the reason TPE stopped being so flexible, that old chestnut of many taking advantage, for example only allowing 30 mins from plane to train knowing they'd be countersigned onto the next train - hence TPE tightening up and checking delays on their screen.

We won't drive from Man to the NE, one Dibber did so and had a bad accident not far from home due to tiredness, luckily nobody was injured apart from the car!

Edited at 03:43 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I’ve just booked the Raddison Blu for £110/room. Which was the same as the Clayton.

It’s pay at the hotel so no risk. I thought it was a good price.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’ve just booked the Raddison Blu for £110/room. Which was the same as the Clayton.

It’s pay at the hotel so no risk. I thought it was a good price.
Was that direct with the RB? A RB manager acquaintance advised; as it avoids paying commission to the TA in question they will price match.

If opting for the train, TPE usually introduce their summer timetable in May, they may offer 'no change' trains from Ncl to Mia (Man Airport). Upon Mia arrival, take the platform lift, enter thro the station glass doors, go left, round the corner to the lift on your right. Exit lift and follow signs for T2, the Rad Blu is halfway along on your left.
Old 26 Apr 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

We usually stay at the Radisson for all the reasons listed above.

Chris is happy to drive to and from now, but before that, we found that, by the time we landed, got through security, got our bags and had a bit of breakfast, it was going on time for off peak trains anyway, so there was less issue with timings. Mind you last time we came through the cafe in the landside arrivals we used to use was no longer there, so ymmv.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Was that direct with the RB? A RB manager acquaintance advised; as it avoids paying commission to the TA in question they will price match.

If opting for the train, TPE usually introduce their summer timetable in May, they may offer 'no change' trains from Ncl to Mia (Man Airport). Upon Mia arrival, take the platform lift, enter thro the station glass doors, go left, round the corner to the lift on your right. Exit lift and follow signs for T2, the Rad Blu is halfway along on your left.
It was booking.com
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
We usually stay at the Radisson for all the reasons listed above.

Chris is happy to drive to and from now, but before that, we found that, by the time we landed, got through security, got our bags and had a bit of breakfast, it was going on time for off peak trains anyway, so there was less issue with timings. Mind you last time we came through the cafe in the landside arrivals we used to use was no longer there, so ymmv.

/Mo
Hi Mo, I believe there's a few peak trains oft scheduled around/same time as off-peak. In the 10+ years the train has taken the strain for us, early morning Mia to Dhm fares have remained fairly constant - of course that may change post covid.