Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 May 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Who wants to buy a football stadium - Gigg Lane for sale

Hopefully the saga of Bury Fc will soon be over

google/amp/s/m...e-20569206.amp

Heaven knows if it will be a property developer , the Council , another existing sports club , a local entrepreneur or Bury AFC with a backer .

Will certainly be a tragedy if it all just gets knocked down
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Let’s hope that both club and ground can be secured for the long term by a genuine community interest group (a group that can unite different factions). Whatever the the organisational structure, the club needs to be secure from unscrupulous predators like Steve Dale and I pray that the EFL is one day held accountable for its role in this debacle.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I find it very sad. Should be saved for the community to be used as a pitch for grass roots/ schools etc .
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Let’s hope that both club and ground can be secured for the long term by a genuine community interest group (a group that can unite different factions). Whatever the the organisational structure, the club needs to be secure from unscrupulous predators like Steve Dale and I pray that the EFL is one day held accountable for its role in this debacle.
Much as it pains me to say I am not sure the EFL could have done much differently with Dale. Shares in a limited company can just be transferred between individuals and not a lot theEFL could have done about it.

BUT the rules should be different - and if I understand right , it’s down to the clubs to get the rules right . There should be a bond of say £1m or more for higher divisions that should have to be given to the EFL by a new owner . - otherwise their right to an EFL place should be removed .

Stop the asset strippers and chancers
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

The day Upton Park was sold, was the day I massively lost interest in football.

Disney332
Old 12 May 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
The day Upton Park was sold, was the day I massively lost interest in football.

Disney332
Is that because Upton Park held special memories for you and you would have felt the same irrespective of whatever new ground you moved to ?
Or partly /wholly because the new ground is a white elephant ?
Old 12 May 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Is that because Upton Park held special memories for you and you would have felt the same irrespective of whatever new ground you moved to ?
Or partly /wholly because the new ground is a white elephant ?
It was primarily the memories, and the special buzz that you felt in the area on match day, pubs, cafes, vendors etc etc.

However fantastic, The new ground lacks the intimacy of UP and slate me if you wish, but the new players lack the passion of those in my day. Billy Bonds, says it all...

Disney332
Old 12 May 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Much as it pains me to say I am not sure the EFL could have done much differently with Dale. Shares in a limited company can just be transferred between individuals and not a lot theEFL could have done about it.

BUT the rules should be different - and if I understand right , it’s down to the clubs to get the rules right . There should be a bond of say £1m or more for higher divisions that should have to be given to the EFL by a new owner . - otherwise their right to an EFL place should be removed .

Stop the asset strippers and chancers
I’m not quite so generous. I don’t believe the EFL robustly implemented its own rules in relation to the ‘fit and proper person’ test with regard to Dale. When Jevans appeared in front of the DCMS committee, she admitted that Dale had failed to cooperate with the EFL and been evasive. He failed to provide evidence of funding but this didn’t seem to be the red flag required to block the take over.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I’m not quite so generous. I don’t believe the EFL robustly implemented its own rules in relation to the ‘fit and proper person’ test with regard to Dale. When Jevans appeared in front of the DCMS committee, she admitted that Dale had failed to cooperate with the EFL and been evasive. He failed to provide evidence of funding but this didn’t seem to be the red flag required to block the take over.
The takeover was already done without the EFL knowing about it and there is nothing they could do in Law to reverse what has already been done. Their rules say you need to tell them before any takeover but Dale and Day didn’t give two hoots - the sanctions for not telling them just didn’t worry Dale - transfer embargo from memory .
The Efl ( and its member clubs ) hadn’t put anything in place to cover the ‘ rogue owner ‘ scenario .

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Old 12 May 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The takeover was already done without the EFL knowing about it and there is nothing they could do in Law to reverse what has already been done. Their rules say you need to tell them before any takeover but Dale and Day didn’t give two hoots - the sanctions for not telling them just didn’t worry Dale - transfer embargo from memory .
The Efl ( and its member clubs ) hadn’t put anything in place to cover the ‘ rogue owner ‘ scenario .
A report in the Guardian states, ‘This is doubly galling for the club’s fans, players and employees given Dale’s disastrous takeover was waved through by the EFL despite his failure to comply with rules on establishing his means to sustain the club.’ This would indicate the EFL were aware of Dale’s shortcomings prior to the takeover. Anyway, regardless of chronology, the EFL as custodians of propriety and responsible for rigorously implementing its own rules, bear some culpability, imo, for Bury’s demise.

Edited at 10:57 PM.