Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Apr 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Transferring ownership of a car and road tax?

Hi all,

My son turns 17 this week and my mum before she died told him that he could have her car. ❤️

My stepdad actually owns the car and is going to sort out transferring the ownership to him, but he keeps mentioning how he doesn’t want us to both have to pay a months car tax (he has paid for the year in full, but will only get full months back as a refund).

I know its minor thing and I’m really not bothered but if I can make him happy I will 😂, but just wondered if there is a way, (perhaps waiting until the last day of the month to transfer ownership?), so that we are both not paying road tax for the same month?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

You cannot transfer road tax, it basically ends when the document is sent off declaring new ownership. Then your son will have to pay for the tax.
It’s annoying but no way around it.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. In short they will both have for the same month's road tax. Obviously your step dad will get a full refund for all the months he has outstanding apart from the month he transfers it, so even if he transfers it on the 1st of a month he still loses the car tax for that month. If the car tax is £150 a year then it only costs £12.50 more so not really a large amount.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I should add if for instance he wants to cancel it the last day of the month he would have to sorn it which is absolute hassle to save such a low amount of money of one month's road tax. If he transfers it on the last day of the month to your son then he would still be responsible for paying that full month's road tax.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
You cannot transfer road tax, it basically ends when the document is sent off declaring new ownership. Then your son will have to pay for the tax.
It’s annoying but no way around it.
Yes I know, not so annoying for me, but apparently very frustrating for my stepdad! Lol! 😂

So I guess doing things even on the last day of the month won’t help either, as I’ll either have to pay on 30th for the whole of April or he will lose May if I wait until 1st May? If that’s the case then I might as well do it on my sons birthday as then at least he will only feel like we’ve both just lost half a month each! 😂
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Thank you MH ❤️ Yes I agree lots of hassle for little point, I thought it was worth asking to see if I could make him happier about it all, I think with losing mum he is focussed on all the little annoyances of life at the moment! 😢 bless him! 😂
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Just transfer it on the last day of the month. This will keep FIL happy and you can just say you only taxed it for the next month.

Keeps him happy and for the minimal amount not worth messing about over.

You could leave it for a day to do it in the next month. If you don't drive it for the period not taxed the chances of them coming for you in that time is negligible.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Just transfer it on the last day of the month. This will keep FIL happy and you can just say you only taxed it for the next month.

Keeps him happy and for the minimal amount not worth messing about over.

You could leave it for a day to do it in the next month. If you don't drive it for the period not taxed the chances of them coming for you in that time is negligible.
If you want a refund from the last day of the month you have to either transfer the ownership or sorn it as they will ask that question when you request a tax refund.
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

If the car is classed as sorn now and off road then the tax will be refunded for the full months left.

Ownership could be transfered and the tax for your son could be started from May. Getting insurance at the last minute costs a lot so by doing this could save money