Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 27 Apr 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As others have said, a glasses strap works really well. We got ours from Amazon and have never had any issues - been on all the big coasters including vertical drop ones (Sheikra at Busch Gardens and Oblivion at Alton Towers).

The US and UK theme parks seem fine with allowing glasses on rides but I went to a theme park in Australia in 2018 and they wouldn't let me ride with my glasses on even when I pointed out they were secured with a strap. It wasn't even a particularly extreme rollercoaster, it didn't go upside down! As a very short-sighted person, having to put my glasses in a locker before queuing and riding makes me feel very disorientated so I wasn't very impressed!
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

I don’t know why I have never thought of this before. For years I’ve been going to parks and taking my glasses off or struggling with my prescription sunglasses. I’m getting straight on Amazon to order some!
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

I don't usually take my glasses off for rides but for some reason decided to take my prescription sunglasses off to ride Rip Rocket a few years ago rather than risk damaging them.

I put them in the pocket of my shorts, the safety bar came down and I heard my glasses being crushed. A trip to mall to get them soldered back together was then required.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

At Busch Gardens it all depends on the ride operator and ride itself. Glasses have to come off on Falcon's Fury whilst I have been allowed to ride Tigris with them on while another time was instructed to take them off
Old 28 Apr 21, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Geordie Al View Post
At Busch Gardens it all depends on the ride operator and ride itself. Glasses have to come off on Falcon's Fury whilst I have been allowed to ride Tigris with them on while another time was instructed to take them off
I had a feeling that some operators may have different opinions on this.
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

I have ridden most rides at the parks wearing glasses without any issues with them falling off, from memory for Manta I think I did use a strap as a failsafe but it wasnt needed. The only ride I didnt risk it on was Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens, which was rather annoying as I couldnt enjoy the view from the top (but I just thought all that time facing downwards was just too risky.)

After having my Ray Bans swept off my head in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon in 2016 I invested in some prescription swim goggles (with a heavy tint), which were perfect for water park days. Which reminds me I must buy some new ones without prescription for this years trip now that my eyes are fixed.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Prescription sunglasses and Croakies sailing straps. No problems in decades of wearing them. ( Both on rollercoasters and actually sailing )
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
I don't usually take my glasses off for rides but for some reason decided to take my prescription sunglasses off to ride Rip Rocket a few years ago rather than risk damaging them.

I put them in the pocket of my shorts, the safety bar came down and I heard my glasses being crushed. A trip to mall to get them soldered back together was then required.
I have a similar story - but mine was from keeping my glasses on!

This was about 20 years ago when I was a teenager and had these glasses with a very skinny metal frame (they were so light and comfortable to wear). Wore my glasses onto the Jurassic Park boat ride at IOA, somehow managed to hit my glasses during the ride (I think something jerked and hit the lap bar, or something along those lines) and ended up bending the metal frame. Thank goodness my dad managed to bend it back but if he hadn't I'm not sure what we would have done! (Especially since my prescription was such that at the best of times it takes about 2-3 weeks for the opticians to order in the lenses!)

Anyway, that trip was also when I discovered how cumbersome it was to have glasses if I wanted to go on rollercoasters and such - remembering taking off my glasses before going on the Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit (and needing my sister - who was wearing contact lenses! - to lead me through the ride queues). I vaguely remember being on Rip Ride Rockit and not being able to see anything besides blurry neon lights...

On subsequent trips (until I got lasik a few years back) I tended to wear daily contact lenses (which were never quite my prescription, but good enough as a compromise solution) so I could go on rollercoasters without worrying about my glasses. I also always brought along a spare pair of glasses with me, just in case!
Old 29 Apr 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Derbydave4 View Post
I have the Edison and King ones from Amazon Bright Yellow £8.00 for a pack of 2 Not the cheapest but comfortable and definitely float.
I bought cheaper ones before I got these only to find they didn’t float once you attached the glasses
I went for the red ones and it arrived today but I am very impressed with how my glasses stay on. Didn’t expect them to be so thick though 😂. If it does the job then I’m happy!
Old 29 Apr 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
for swimming I use prescription swimming goggles ... prescription-swimming-goggles/ ... I have the gator ones.
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List