Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Apr 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
OOO, I‘m in! You clearly all survived. Hope there was some fun along the way! :=) Thanks for bringing us along.
I think that the days to follow can fairly be described as a ‘rollercoaster of emotions’.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsL
Helping Mickey

Reading along and enjoying already. I get a hint of ‘the play that goes wrong’ vibe
MrsL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Oooh I am SO excited by this! I've missed reading reports, especially your reports and planning, have never been to the Panhandle (yet) and love a bit of drama!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I’ll put the kettle on and open a packet of biscuits, this should be good

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

This is going to be worth waiting for 😉

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

AND SO TO PENSACOLA 03/29/17 (It is a USA report).

Packing was done before, a departure for me as I tend to do it around half hour before I put it in the car to leave. Mandie, conscious of what she perceived as Gary's social standing, insisted that she would pack for me. I normally take 2 pairs of Flip flops, 4 pairs of shorts, Swimming Trunks, 7 pairs of underpants, half a dozen T Shirts, toothbrush, IPad, Camera(s), Leads and the clothes that I travel in, namely Shoes, Socks, Chino's, Collared surf shirt and Waterproof Jacket. I would and often do travel hand luggage only. Mandie was having none of this... 3 pairs of Chino's, around 7 Collared Surf Shirts, Better quality shorts.. even extra Socks! I was getting increasingly concerned to have a suitcase weighing 23lb, when I am used to weighing 11lb. . deeply concerned that I was being taken out of my comfort zone, I only just prevented her from packing my Dinner Jacket.. and medals!

Not much to say about the 5.5 hour journey other than we travelled up in our respective cars to the Premier Inn at Bath rd, checked in, had our evening meal, went to bed and then had an early start next day, dumping our cars on Mr Purple and using the free shuttle into the airport. All was going seamlessly well and I was looking very much the seasoned travel courier. I glanced occasionally and could see that they had total confidence… Fools!

The flight (coach of course) , Delta and into Hartsfield in a B767 where we all sat close to each other was enlivened by a great Flight Attendant that created some chemical dry ice in front of Matt and to the amazement (of sorts) of all present

Our Delta B767.

Matt .. and George (furthest) looking suitably amazed at the ‘magic’.

And so, to Atlanta and the 'simple' layover. The Computers were down. All was done manually and chaos ensued. Immigration and customs took ages as Gary had not filled out his customs declaration in flight as we had suggested. The two families got separated by Security, losing sight of each other as Gary hastily filled in his declaration. We (My family) however were soon through and free to approach the onward gate to Pensacola.. but there was no sign of Ann, Gary & George. Boarding was called, still no sign of them.. then yes! We were together again and free to board our tiny, 30 year old MD88. Panic over?

Nope! A tannoy announced that there would be a delay in boarding as some very bad weather was approaching from the South. South? That could only be a mistake! We were intending to fly South. This wasn't in my carefully laid plans at all. It’s Easter, for gods sake!
After an hour, we boarded, even though the sky was looking very dark indeed. As we left the gate and began to taxi out, the pilot announced that he believed we could get away to our destination by flying West and around the weather. He also reported that we would be no26 in the order of take off and that we would be entering a queue on the taxi way. The heavens opened, beating down on the aircraft, an aircraft that then shut down both main engines, relying only on the APU. We were stuck there for 2 hours before things began happening again. The main engines were spooled up and we eventually got to move, then take off. The following hour could best be described as deeply unpleasant as the aircraft was battered throughout, only clearing the weather as we began our descent into Pensacola. Finally we were there, 3 hours and more late and just grateful to be back on terra firma. In a blast from the past, the pax actually applauded the clearly difficult landing by the Pilot (Buffeting and a cross wind with just two runways, N-S and E-W)..and for the first time in a lifetime of flying, I joined in. He thoroughly deserved it!

We collected our cars without incident and uneventfully, arriving at the Margaritaville Hotel around half an our after collection and in the lashing rain. By this time it was dark and we simply went to our rooms to collapse. Food could wait until the morning.

It is at this time that I might add that Mandie is a very nervous flyer even in the clear air and really does not like turbulence. She later confided that she had been so frightened that the passenger next to her had taken sympathy, holding her hand.

As can be seen, day 1 in #1 was somewhat different to the reality.

Edited at 09:46 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

I’m loving this trip report! You do it so well!
Homer'sWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Oo following
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
wed2ared
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Feels like ages since I read a “live” trip report- love your style
wed2ared is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wed2ared View Post
Feels like ages since I read a “live” trip report- love your style
Why thankyou, Mr/Mrs Wed2ared, that is very kind!

More drama to come.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196