Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 May 21, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
VS - MAN-MCO - Upper Class Logic... Please help

Apologies, but this must be my 2nd or 3rd thread on this topic, but as DW won't entertain me explaining any logic or trying to justify the spend I was hoping to turn to trusted and knowledgeable DIBBers (well some of you ).

This may be a long one, so thank you if you get through it and offer advice!

Background is there are currently 3 of us and soon to be 4 . Me, DW, DS (4 later this month) and new arrival in August.

DW is a teacher so we are always stuck to school holidays and last time we went was Easter 2019, and we were booked to go on a shorter trip in May 2020 (during half term week and over DS and my birthday).

DS starts school in September but DW will be on maternity leave. We would have liked to make the most of cheaper flight prices, but balancing taking DS out of school, future arrival age, time to go (we love Flower and Garden plus going April/May time the weather is usually perfect) etc.

So we have settled again end of May 2022 taking DS out of school for 6 days but tagging the half term week onto it and future arrival will be just over 9 months. This is the one and only time we will be able to go partly out of school holidays due to DW being back full time the following academic year!

Next takes me onto the flights and wanting to try UC from MAN-MCO for the first time. New Clubhouse in MAN plus more room and comfort with the baby. Note that we had a bad experience to NYC in the middle / back of the plane (only 3 seats) so would be looking at 1. window seats only and 2. because of plane formation we would need 4 seats in either E or PE.

So this takes me onto the whole flight booking issue...

If we were to book PE we would likely need for example front row and 2nd row, 4 seats at possible realistic price of GB£ 4000-4500?

UC we would need 3 seats, I was hoping that a realistic price would be GB£ 5500-6000 for these but looking at pricing for early next year you are looking at GB£ 7000+.

GB£ 2000 pp I would be happy to pay and maybe a little extra if needed.

Note we are FC members and have a VS credit card and have 183.000 airmiles / points between us plus 2 reward seats (but not sure how useful these are if generally stuck to school holidays). Through CC spend we average about 3000-4000 airmiles per month.

So finally, I understand this is not the best use of miles/points but would welcome any thoughts and advice on this (please feel free to tell me not worth doing, but take into account all of above plus not really flexible in dates either).

Virgin Holidays flydrive (but would not take car) is GB£ 8257 including the 7% FC discount. This is for 3 x UC seats. We would only pay GB£ 525 deposit today and the remainder I expect Feb/Mar next year? So again do not have to pay all upfront if booking direct with VS.

If we just used the airmiles we have available today to pay some of this balance off then that would be an extra GB£ 1000 off the price taking it down to GB£ 7257 and GB£ 2419 pp. (closer to the price I am happy to pay).

Plus in the next 12 months and after the holiday we will amass a further 115.000 points between us (50k for flights, 22k for paying with cc with VH and the standard monthly points we earn).

Doing it this way we can get our seats sorted, have something to look forward to and not have the worry for booking flights at the 11 months mark in what already seems to be inflated prices for 2022.

Any thoughts on whether this is reasonable or justifiable?

Or am I being silly and this is not a good use of points, nor is it a reasonable price to be paying.

Thanks in advance.

Edited at 09:32 AM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like you’ve convinced yourself already! 😜 Honestly I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much money on the flight when I think premium will be just as nice. I would really worry also about taking a baby into upper class in case it was noisy and ruined other people’s experiences. I actually took a 4 month previously and it was fine and not a drama at all, but you just don’t know how they will be and if it were me, I think I would spend the whole time worrying about how the baby May affect other passengers that it would be a wasted experience. I personally would stick with either economy or premium if it were me.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I agree with legallyblonde. I couldn’t justify the cost . Worrying about a baby when it comes to noise would make me anxious about the flight and therefore not just other passenger experiences but my own too.,
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I disagree, UC will give you far more space to deal with the little one so that will definitely help you walk around / lay them down properly etc. It's not unusual to have babies in UC. If there are concerns then request the seats at the edge.

I wish we'd flown upper when my 2 were little, we didn't even consider it or price it up, just assuming it was out of reach, when I think back now to the years of squeezing babies and toddlers / car seats into economy seats or having them on my lap in the 3" of space we had, it fills me with dread!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
Sounds like you’ve convinced yourself already! 😜 Honestly I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much money on the flight when I think premium will be just as nice. I would really worry also about taking a baby into upper class in case it was noisy and ruined other people’s experiences. I actually took a 4 month previously and it was fine and not a drama at all, but you just don’t know how they will be and if it were me, I think I would spend the whole time worrying about how the baby May affect other passengers that it would be a wasted experience. I personally would stick with either economy or premium if it were me.
Thank you... I feel like I am convincing myself or at least trying to.

I fully understand about the other passengers bit.

The only thing that concerns me with premium would be:

1. The need to maybe book on release date to try and get the front seats with sky cot (not sure if these are possible anywhere else in the cabin?).

2. Still would be paying for 4 seats in PE and even if I take Feb half term as an example... we would be flying out the Thursday the week before half term and the Fri/Sat at the end of half term to be ready for the Monday for DS... Economy classic is currently GB£ 3864, PE not offered but changed dates slightly and GB£ 7140.
Old 6 May 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
I agree with legallyblonde. I couldn’t justify the cost . Worrying about a baby when it comes to noise would make me anxious about the flight and therefore not just other passenger experiences but my own too.,
Thank you and completely understand... we first took DS on a plane at just over 12 months and he was perfect. Bottle before take off with calpol and he was fast asleep. Also always slept with a 'white noise' bear so maybe the plane also helps with falling asleep.

I wonder whether if paying a deposit now to secure, if we realise before balance is due that no way the baby will be quiet (appreciate plane is different than at home etc) could we then change to another cabin if room... but then I guess we would still be bothering other guests on the flight?
Old 6 May 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I disagree, UC will give you far more space to deal with the little one so that will definitely help you walk around / lay them down properly etc. It's not unusual to have babies in UC. If there are concerns then request the seats at the edge.

I wish we'd flown upper when my 2 were little, we didn't even consider it or price it up, just assuming it was out of reach, when I think back now to the years of squeezing babies and toddlers / car seats into economy seats or having them on my lap in the 3" of space we had, it fills me with dread!
Thank you... this is what I am hoping. More space for the 4 of us, hopefully more comfort.

Is there any spaces on the current A330's to move to if needing to stand up and comfort the baby? I see the new A350s (i think) have that bit at the back but depending if people are sitting there talking...
Old 6 May 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I honestly would rather go in economy with a baby than pay that kind of money to sit in premium or UC as I don’t think you will get the most out of the experience. However, it’s all down to individuality. If you/your wife are unlikely to phased by baby and how it affects your experience or anyone else’s, then it’s a non/issue for you. Also, to me that’s a lot of money that would take a long time to save. For you, it may not be. We can only offer opinions on what we would do in that situation. It doesn’t mean there is a right or wrong answer. You’ve got to do what suits you best taking into consideration all factors. I’m sure whatever you do, you’ll have a great time!

Ps regarding the bulk head seats where the cots are, I’m sure someone else can confirm but I don’t think these are released for booking by general passengers until 24 hours before. I think you can ring virgin on booking and reserve them for the sky cot. That’s what we did in economy when we took our 4 month old.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
I honestly would rather go in economy with a baby than pay that kind of money to sit in premium or UC as I don’t think you will get the most out of the experience. However, it’s all down to individuality. If you/your wife are unlikely to phased by baby and how it affects your experience or anyone else’s, then it’s a non/issue for you. Also, to me that’s a lot of money that would take a long time to save. For you, it may not be. We can only offer opinions on what we would do in that situation. It doesn’t mean there is a right or wrong answer. You’ve got to do what suits you best taking into consideration all factors. I’m sure whatever you do, you’ll have a great time!

Ps regarding the bulk head seats where the cots are, I’m sure someone else can confirm but I don’t think these are released for booking by general passengers until 24 hours before. I think you can ring virgin on booking and reserve them for the sky cot. That’s what we did in economy when we took our 4 month old.
Thank you again and great to know about the bulkhead seats. I may in fact try contact VS about this, albeit found it difficult to get in touch with them recently... I expect they have other priorities right now.

I agree about the price and this is much more than I have ever paid... we are used to paying GB£ 1000 each with school holidays anyway (not flexible and only worth it as direct from Manchester for us). I think PE for the honeymoon was around GB£ 1200-1250 once you broke the hotel prices out of the package.

Just also concerned with he threads and seeing the prices for early next year for E and PE cabins.
Old 6 May 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

I definitely agree that UC will be way better than PE for you. PE isn't in the same league as far as Im concerned.

Personally I wouldn't give a monkeys about taking a baby in there, if the other passengers dont like it then tough. Ive been in UC with a noisy(ish) baby band guess what? Its a baby and babies make noise. No one should feel they cant fly UC because they have a baby with them. After all Ive seen plenty of grown ups in there that were way more annoying than a baby.

Personally I dont think its a good use of miles, have you tried chatting to the guys at FC? Ive always found them very helpful and they find a way of maximising your miles for you.

BTW - £2K PP return is a really good price for UC. My flight in November is currently showing prices in excess of £10K PP.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018

Edited at 10:02 AM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List