Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 May 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by harber78 View Post
I booked via the BA website with qured and BA give a discount code. Note the discount code as need when adding tests to basket.

britishairways/en-gb.../covid19-tests

I am flying BA but to be honest nowhere did it ask for my booking reference or flight number. I had to create an account with passport details, name (do as passport), email address, phone number, date of birth, date of flight, etc. It had the option to add other passengers. It sends you texts and email with link to book video appointment and test kit posted out same day as ordering.

Appointments can be booked later at a time to suit you and they remind you 3 days before flight date.
Thank you harber78, that's really useful info.
I wonder if it's possible for Admin to please make it a sticky post somewhere that everyone will see it
SnowWhite is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
guinness_79
Very Serious Dibber

its all well and good this covid testing ... but what happens if you test before flying home and test positive ?! Are you then stuck in the US until you can show a negative test/ post 10 days? If that's the case and you then spread it to your family over a period of a few days surely you could end up out there for a while?!

totally confused by it all!
guinness_79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
TestTrack
Getting to know the DIBB

@guiness_79 Absolutely agree with you about the worry of testing whilst out there.

This part doesn't seem to be being dicsussed much at all and to me it's probably the most important part! If you test positive before you leave the UK then whilst it would be devastating not to get to go at least you'd already be home. Likewise if you tested positive within the first couple of days after the trip then at least you're back home.

But I'm not seeing anything on how it will work if you test positive whilst out there! I know many will be fine and the chances are low in certain places etc but I guess my worry is that you could get it, be asymptomatic and then be told a day before coming home that you have to stay out there, and this is even for a country on the green list!

How do others see this playing out? i guess it's just an accepted risk for us all but whilst I fully accept testing before and after, it definitely adds a massive potential headache that i would be worried about the entire trip, if only because whilst I can qurantine after and maybe not get to go if i was positive before I left, suddenly needing to spend longer out there just before I was about to fly home is something to consider for sure!
TestTrack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TestTrack View Post
@guiness_79 Absolutely agree with you about the worry of testing whilst out there.

This part doesn't seem to be being dicsussed much at all and to me it's probably the most important part! If you test positive before you leave the UK then whilst it would be devastating not to get to go at least you'd already be home. Likewise if you tested positive within the first couple of days after the trip then at least you're back home.

But I'm not seeing anything on how it will work if you test positive whilst out there! I know many will be fine and the chances are low in certain places etc but I guess my worry is that you could get it, be asymptomatic and then be told a day before coming home that you have to stay out there, and this is even for a country on the green list!

How do others see this playing out? i guess it's just an accepted risk for us all but whilst I fully accept testing before and after, it definitely adds a massive potential headache that i would be worried about the entire trip, if only because whilst I can qurantine after and maybe not get to go if i was positive before I left, suddenly needing to spend longer out there just before I was about to fly home is something to consider for sure!
Age old approach to flying to long haul destinations...

Adequate holiday insurance & a credit card big enough to cover emergencies.

Plan for the worse - Hope for the best.

I think traveling over the next couple of years is going to be expensive and risky and there are going to be very few options to mitigate those risks.

I think we are going to be seeing a lot of Daily Mail sad face articles of families who didn't plan for the worse.

Edited at 11:09 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by guinness_79 View Post
its all well and good this covid testing ... but what happens if you test before flying home and test positive ?! Are you then stuck in the US until you can show a negative test/ post 10 days? If that's the case and you then spread it to your family over a period of a few days surely you could end up out there for a while?!

totally confused by it all!
I think the approach we would take is get all those who test negative home on the scheduled flight, leaving the person(s) who test positive to wait it out - unless the one testing positive was a child.

As you say, otherwise the risk is that person 1 is positive and by the time they are negative, any of person 2, 3 or 4 (etc) could then be positive.

Beyond that, it means the remainder of the family get home to return to work, school, pick up the dog - all the activities that need to take place upon return from holiday.

Insurance coverage becomes a factor too. Would insurance cover new repatriation flights for the entire family, even if only one person tested positive?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
I think the approach we would take is get all those who test negative home on the scheduled flight, leaving the person(s) who test positive to wait it out - unless the one testing positive was a child.

As you say, otherwise the risk is that person 1 is positive and by the time they are negative, any of person 2, 3 or 4 (etc) could then be positive.

Beyond that, it means the remainder of the family get home to return to work, school, pick up the dog - all the activities that need to take place upon return from holiday.

Insurance coverage becomes a factor too. Would insurance cover new repatriation flights for the entire family, even if only one person tested positive?
Almost certainly not...

They usually only cover the person involved or a parent and child if its a child. The rest usually have to come home.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Almost certainly not...

They usually only cover the person involved or a parent and child if its a child. The rest usually have to come home.
I thought that was likely the case, which could present a different problem for those who are, shall we say, of a nervous disposition and would not want to be left alone in the US for a week or two, whilst their family flies home.

It also reinforces the need to ensure each member of the party has sufficient payment mechanisms available to them. For example, each adult should have a credit card, even if multiple cards on the one account, to ensure that whoever may be "left behind" is able to cover expenses. It won't be much good having a card for person A alone, if person B has to remain in the US.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Just a heads up, virgin have announced on their Instagram that PCR tests will cost £55 through them
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The "testing" discussion is the new "tipping" Put simply if you are worried/concerned about testing positive the answer is simply don't go, think of testing Positive as landing on the Jail Square in Monopoly= Do not pass go & do not collect £200. Equally replace the word Covid with mumps/measles/chickenpox or some other more serious condition that will prevent someone flying but normally "we" all still go not to mention those of us that were happy to go when they had the Zika outbreak, just because Disney put a can of deet in our rooms!
TBh I think Lockdown is sending us all doolally & overthinking things
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TestTrack View Post

It's also where do you spend those 10 days in isolation in the USA. Will they have designated hotels at £2k pp and will your holiday insurance cover this if you have covid cover. Would you all go in the same hotel or would the rest of the family be put in a separate hotel if they didn't test positive

Seems like if your rich you will be ok and if you are poor then tough luck

Edited at 07:53 PM.
mike4scuba is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List