Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 May 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Wow you are moving so fast, looking forward to seeing more!
Old 11 May 21, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

First part of the kitchen went together fairly quickly. We were still using the kitchen throughout the refit so I put it in in stages, allowing us to keep using the dishwasher, cooker, fridge etc.

The amount of cardboard that went to the tip was unreal! 3 full trips and we've still got some to go.

There isn't a straight wall int he whole house. Getting the worktop lined up was a challenge. It's a total of 6 metres long. I did an end to end join on it, which as a total amateur I was quite pleased with. Better than a joining strip.

Bit of a disaster when I started to unpack and fit the tall units - two of them had damaged bases. Took a bit of arranging to get replacements, being close to Easter didn't help.

Eventually got replacements, I had to strip the internals out of them (one was a pull out later unit and the other with internal pan drawers). I couldn't work out how to get the doors off - all the hinges are quality Blum ones so after a peek on youtube I had the doors off in seconds. (there is a little clip that holds the hinges on - it's genius work).

While we were waiting for the replacements I was impatient and wanted to move on. I had 2 weeks off work so wanted to make the most of the time. Sourced the flooring we wanted and picked it up ourselves to save the hassle of being disappointed if it didn't turn up.

Amtico Click Smart. Very nice quality. Easy-is to put down, I did have a few hairy moments with it and my knees took a complete battering. I was slightly concerned about the floor levels where the toilet used to be but with some suitable underlay (Click Smart has built in underlay if your floor is within 2mm over 2m) it worked out really well.

2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

The replacement units were eventually delivered. We had a 'promise' they would be delivered on a set date - needless to say they didn't arrive and needed a few chasing calls to get sorted.

DIY Kitchens aftersales is, ummm, well not great. Not terrible, but it really does let them down. We were warned by reviews online but overall we weighed it up and decided as we were fitting ourselves any hassle or delay wasn't costing us labour time so we sucked it up.

Once fully in, all the finishing touches done and finally be able to put your hand on anything you wanted in the kitchen instead of rooting around in a box was bliss.

It's really working for us as a space, not too different from the previous install but with the addition of pull out larder, huge pull out pan drawers and other storage space we didn't have before.

I'll put up the final pics tomorrow (need to clear the work surfaces of tools that I'm using for another job in another room... )
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Those clip off hinges stump a lot of people. Great invention and so quick to use.

I drop all my kitchen doors off in 2 mins when I emulsion the ceiling.

Have you got easy closers clipped on them so you can slam the doors shut but they slow down and finally close quietly?

Looking really nice. You have done a great job. So satisfying to fit it yourself and also save money.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Soft close on all doors and drawers

Morning coffee here and breaks during the day working from home.

Really happy with the flooring, lovely solid feel underfoot (concrete floor under this, no underlay - just the built in underlay on the planks)

Disney Magnets pride of place!

View out to the Beer Garden and Man Cave.

This larder units eat up 'stuff'. Great to have everything to hand without having to bend or root at the back of cupboards.

Old 11 May 21, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Next project is the dining room - I've just fitted 100mm * 100mm coving and cling rose. Will be building alcove cupboards and shelving unit either side of the fireplace.

Room will then be panelled/wainscotted to 1m and replace the radiators with period cast iron ones.

Then into the hall. I'm halfway through refurbishing the original parquet floor that has been hidden under carpet for the last 40 years.

This is before

The builders considered doing this when they did the refurb but the decided it was too much work for the return so they left it after trying a bit of sanding in that corner.

Having to lift and refit about 1/4 of the blocks, will sand, fill then finish with a wax/oil to leave it as natural looking as possible.

Will be coving the hall then continuing the panelling/wainscotting in the hall and up the stairs.

Planning to have all this done by end of July. My soft as butter office hands are getting a complete battering at the moment!
Old 12 May 21, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Next project is the dining room - I've just fitted 100mm * 100mm coving and cling rose. Will be building alcove cupboards and shelving unit either side of the fireplace.

Room will then be panelled/wainscotted to 1m and replace the radiators with period cast iron ones.

Then into the hall. I'm halfway through refurbishing the original parquet floor that has been hidden under carpet for the last 40 years.

This is before

The builders considered doing this when they did the refurb but the decided it was too much work for the return so they left it after trying a bit of sanding in that corner.

Having to lift and refit about 1/4 of the blocks, will sand, fill then finish with a wax/oil to leave it as natural looking as possible.

Will be coving the hall then continuing the panelling/wainscotting in the hall and up the stairs.

Planning to have all this done by end of July. My soft as butter office hands are getting a complete battering at the moment!
That parquet is gorgeous 🥰 we thought we had some in our hall, like you hidden under carpet, but it turned out just to be 1970’s imitation stuff just laid brick style not herringbone 😢 It is actually the floorboards!

Kitchen looking lovely, my dh is handy but not to that level, well done, hope you are proud of yourself😉👍
Old 12 May 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow it looks great 2point. Love the floor - you’ve done a fantastic job
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Looking really good.

I am glad that you did an ‘end to end’ joint on the worktops, rather than using an unsightly joining strip. That is often the obvious difference between a diy kitchen and a professionally fitted one. Great that you were rewarded with a good, tight joint that you are pleased with!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Well done, it looks lovely!
dismamx2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List